WTF in America

Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:10 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I hear/see 'Taco Bell' that's the only image I ever get - it took a long while for me to realise that they were a real chain and the irony of the scene!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... On the Border, bit too mainstream, but the snacks are handy and they do have fun drinks, but not really fast food.
Ate there once, and it was closer to Applebee's than to the local Mexican restaurant owned and run by a Mexican. He opened his first restaurant in a small strip mall unit, and we tried it the first time just a week or two after it opened. At that time he didn't even have a licence to sell beer. We went back every week or two, and each time I asked for a beer. When he eventually got his licence he gave me my first beer free!

Business was slow at first, on one occasional we were the only customers in the restaurant, when someone stuck their head around the door and asked if it was any good? (We assured them it was.) But its popularity grew and after a year the restaurant moved to a much larger location nearby, up from seating perhaps 80 people to seating around 200 people, and it is usually pretty busy. Since little Miss P started school we haven't been able to go quite as often, but when we do the owner always comes over to greet us.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember the Taco Bell commercials with the dog...? From the late 90's.

Do they still have 2 tacos for 99 cents?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused...was the dog trying to get one, or worried he was going to be in one?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:51 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm confused...was the dog trying to get one, or worried he was going to be in one?
He's safe. He has too much meat on him.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Around here we have plenty of Mexican restaurants and they're cheap. I think there is a Taco Bell - I know of a couple of Del Tacos within half an hour of here. But two Vallartas (Mexican supermarkets) which both have food courts. So we're spoilt!

One thing for Taco Bell though: they agreed to the Fair Food Program which supposedly ensures farm workers get paid a fair wage. I was watching (yet another) food doco last night on Netflix and these tomato pickers in Florida were earning barely $5 per hour - made to turn up for 12 hours a day but only paid for the hours they actually picked anything, and they had to wait around (unpaid) until given their assignments which could be hours. They reckoned that Publix supermarket just needed to charge 1c per pound more for tomatoes and it would nearly double their wages, yet cost the average Publix shopper just 44c per year. Walmart, McD, BK etc have all signed up to the Fair Food Program but not Publix.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Around here we have plenty of Mexican restaurants and they're cheap. I think there is a Taco Bell - I know of a couple of Del Tacos within half an hour of here. But two Vallartas (Mexican supermarkets) which both have food courts. So we're spoilt!

One thing for Taco Bell though: they agreed to the Fair Food Program which supposedly ensures farm workers get paid a fair wage. I was watching (yet another) food doco last night on Netflix and these tomato pickers in Florida were earning barely $5 per hour - made to turn up for 12 hours a day but only paid for the hours they actually picked anything, and they had to wait around (unpaid) until given their assignments which could be hours. They reckoned that Publix supermarket just needed to charge 1c per pound more for tomatoes and it would nearly double their wages, yet cost the average Publix shopper just 44c per year. Walmart, McD, BK etc have all signed up to the Fair Food Program but not Publix.
Yes that waiting around must be terrible - they don't even know where they'll be that day.

Taco Bell seemed to get worse over time though. Really meagre.

Sharky's is pretty good Sharky's Woodfired Mexican Grill |
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:27 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
When I first came to the US Bible Belt my Israeli friend ( who also has US citizenship ) told me ( a Methodist Christian ) 'sweetie, you need to find a synagogue- go hang out where the Jews are'! We had a big laugh about just how I was going to accomplish that, her favourite being I should just turn up and say 'I want to hang out with Jewish people'!
Then after I came to Houston I worked for interfaith causes a lot and worked and worshipped in Temples loads of times. The Jewish community is very active here.
Also with Muslims and Hindus and people of other faiths; it was a very interesting time of my life, probably the most diversity I'll ever experience. Which is what the US is all about!

The conservative Christians I have met love Jewish people in the US South, and you will find community and history there where you look especially Birmingham ISJL - Alabama Encyclopedia - Institute of Southern Jewish Life
They want you there!
OnwardandUpward, I just wanted to thank you for kindly posting that link me. I have finally taken the time to read it properly and have found it very interesting. Thank you very much again.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!

CNN: A North Carolina man facing murder charges in the death of a "Food Network Star" contestant had human remains in his woodstove, authorities say.

Robert Jason Owens is accused of killing former contestant Cristie Schoen Codd, 38, and her husband, Joseph Codd, 45. .....
The complete story, at least as of now.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OMG!

Too soon for 'bun in the oven' type jokes?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Too soon for 'bun in the oven' type jokes? .....
Probably, though I fear the unborn baby was the focus of the attack. ..... There was a(nother) baby cut out story just yesterday.

Unfortunately these attacks seem to becoming more common, such that I am not sure there's ever much humour to be found in them.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!

Sad story. Makes you never want to hire a contractor, had they never hired him they would probably still be alive.

Hopefully they can determine if the remains in the wood stove are from the known victims or if he has killed before.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sad story. Makes you never want to hire a contractor, had they never hired him they would probably still be alive. .....
Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, having just spent most of my Saturday replacing some iron plumbing that had burst, installing a new kitchen tap (the old one leaked and was cheap junk), and preparing to install a tub surround and reinstall the toilet tomorrow. I saved a fortune in plumbers fees, but it's a chilling thought that I might also have saved my family's lives.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

There was a(nother) baby cut out story just yesterday.
Murder is obviously never good but this particular one really makes you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.