WTF in America

Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I love a bit of ham.
You are a ham.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
You are a ham.
Maybe a bit ...
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a bit ...
That's why you like a bit of ham.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if someone has posted this before (despite many years of lurking, I can't recall seeing it mentioned): What is up with the weird cutlery skills in America? I.e. fork in the right hand, hacking at something with a knife and then switching hands. As Dlake02 mentioned in his 'post' today, eating like a JCB, a very apt analogy, the way that food is scooped / shoveled.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
I'm not sure if someone has posted this before (despite many years of lurking, I can't recall seeing it mentioned): What is up with the weird cutlery skills in America? I.e. fork in the right hand, hacking at something with a knife and then switching hands. As Dlake02 mentioned in his 'post' today, eating like a JCB, a very apt analogy, the way that food is scooped / shoveled.
In terms of calories delivered per second it seems a highly optimized engineering solution.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
In terms of calories delivered per second it seems a highly optimized engineering solution.
It certainly is optimized for delivering maximum calories. The process can be quite painful to watch, especially when you include the other bizarre habit of taking a mouthful of water with each forkful of food.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's been covered a number of times, including lengthy treatises defending the practice by Michael and RoadWarriorFromLP.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

All that hand swapping really isn't very efficient though. It would take twice the amount of time to eat something that way, compared to keeping the fork in your left hand and the knife in the right the whole time.

... bizarre habit of taking a mouthful of water with each forkful of food.
Never seen that
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's been covered a number of times, including lengthy treatises defending the practice by Michael and RoadWarriorFromLP.
Fair enough. I'm glad that others have noticed it. I thought that I was being overly pedantic, or that my parents had perhaps gone overboard with table manners.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

All that hand swapping really isn't very efficient though. It would take twice the amount of time to eat something that way, compared to keeping the fork in your left hand and the knife in the right the whole time.
With practice the hand swapping can be done concurrently to the swallowing, keeping it off the critical path.

(and for us lefties - there is nowt wrong with keeping the fork in the right hand the whole time )

Last edited by fozzyb; Nov 13th 2014 at 1:24 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:22 pm
I have a comma problem

With practice the hand swapping can be done concurrently to the swallowing, keeping it off the critical path
Honestly, I wouldn't care if they used their feet to hold the knife and fork, if they'd all just keep their ****ing mouths closed while they chewed

That being said, I was just back in the UK and the noise my sister made when she was eating was mental. Plebs.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they used their feet to hold the knife and fork, if they'd all just keep their ****ing mouths closed while they chewed
This is where I notice the concurrent food & water intake. When chewing with an open mouth (and then naturally attempting to speak), a gulp of water assists in lubricating the pie hole, making the half chewed food easier to swallow / speak through.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's like no-one ever made it out of the remedial class in eating.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's like no-one ever made it out of the remedial class in eating.
After 3½ years of daycare and 2+ years of school, little Miss P is no better at handling a knife and fork, now, at the age of 7 than she was at the time of her second birthday!

It has been a long, slow, and sometimes painful process but at last little Miss P is set to surpass the previous high water mark in cutlery manipulation which she set when she reached her second birthday.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 13th 2014 at 1:51 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
After 3½ years of daycare and 2+ years of school, little Miss P is no better at handling a knife and fork, now, at the age of 7 than she was at the time of her second birthday!

It has been a long, slow, and sometimes painful process but at last little Miss P is set to surpass the previous high water mark in cutlery manipulation which she set when she reached her second birthday.
Why bother if she's staying there?

It's funny when you see toddlers effortlessly manipulating chopsticks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.