Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ah yes, Iran, the voice of calm, reason, and moderate Islam.

Iran doesn't have an airforce, at least not to speak of, other than some very well used F14's, and one second hand drone.

It appears quite possible that the USAAF will be providing "softening up" and ground cover services for the Revolutionary Guard, which has to be the most unlikely military partnership since Russia allowed the US to use its airbases to invade Afghanistan in 2001.
To be fair, the majority of the work will be counter insurgency, which is usually the responsibility by special forces. Given the Americans are refusing to put troops on the ground, it's gonna have to be the Iranians who sort this out. US airstrikes I'm sure will help to soften them up of course, but airstrikes don't win counter insurgency operations.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
To be fair, the majority of the work will be counter insurgency, which is usually the responsibility by special forces. Given the Americans are refusing to put troops on the ground, it's gonna have to be the Iranians who sort this out. US airstrikes I'm sure will help to soften them up of course, but airstrikes don't win counter insurgency operations.
Other than a truce on christmas day for a quick game, what does this have to do with football?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Other than a truce on christmas day for a quick game, what does this have to do with football?
The Iranian national team might be pre-occupied by the events happening back home?

(That's about the best I can come up with!)
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway..........
2 games down, and Brazil are definitely the best team in the competition....... At ****ing cheating!!!!!!! Thank god this ref was better than the last one!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll try and watch the next USA game in a bar downtown and see if there is a good crowd there. I watched the England v Italy game in a huge sports bar that probably would hold 500 people, and there were about 9 people there including an Irishman, Dutchman, me, another Brit and a bloke from Benin. Hopefully, the USA do well in the tournament, but I still doubt that most people here will give a toss about football a week after its all over (except if you're in Chicago, NYC etc) or go and buy a Brazuca to kick around or a ticket to a MLS game. Which is fine. But a shame.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
You can understand my confusion - I mean who would eat a hotdog at a footie game?! That's just wrong.

Note to self - read before quoting!
It is weird. The lack of availability of pork pies is a factor, of course.

Originally Posted by markonline1
Anyway..........
2 games down, and Brazil are definitely the best team in the competition....... At ****ing cheating!!!!!!! Thank god this ref was better than the last one!
God, it's getting bad, isn't it?

Mexico played a blinder, though. Ochoa had a hell of a game.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't know what the viewing figures were to be honest but it does appear to be highly regional within the US.

There was a huge group watching the match on a big screen TV in Chicago. Also, there are loads of leagues around here ranging from recreational (like the one I play in) to really quite serious.
Apparently about 100 odd locals went to one of the footie bars to catch the US game, when there were over 300 Brits for the England game in beantown the other day.

Then again, Puma were sponsoring an event too which got a bit of a look in.

One thing the missus said, it's very quiet at work during most of the matches, they get well busy before the lunch game and then after the game again
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He earned his money tonight, big time.

The Russian keeper, well...best flap yet and he'll be lucky to be walking in the morning I think
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He earned his money tonight, big time.

The Russian keeper, well...best flap yet and he'll be lucky to be walking in the morning I think
I didn't see the Russia match. I shall have to seek out some highlights later.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

He did. I was reading after he's currently a free agent. Not for long I doubt after that performance.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:43 am
I have a comma problem

He did. I was reading after he's currently a free agent. Not for long I doubt after that performance.
Anyone have Brendan Rodgers' number? Think I need to give him a bell ...

No offense to Minge, of course
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stunned! Spain look like they're going home!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Stunned! Spain look like they're going home!
After the hammering The Netherlands gave them I can't say I'm surprised.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Bye Spain
Old Jun 18th 2014, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The Holland V Chile game could be very interesting. Which one wants to avoid Brazil the most?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.