British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/world-cup-warning-spoilers-may-here-835830/)

yellowroom Jun 7th 2014 3:09 am

World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Just over a week to go. I was determined not to be bothered by it this time, but then I got sucked into arguments about Jurgen Klinsmann and I'm interested again.

So, anyone else excited? Plan into watch the England matches? And/or the USA matches? Anyone know any Americans who've actually heard of the World Cup...?

Beaverstate Jun 7th 2014 3:14 am

re: World Cup - Warning, Spoilers may be here!

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 11291601)
Just over a week to go. I was determined not to be bothered by it this time, but then I got sucked into arguments about Jurgen Klinsmann and I'm interested again.

So, anyone else excited? Plan into watch the England matches? And/or the USA matches? Anyone know any Americans who've actually heard of the World Cup...?

We've all heard of it, just don't care much.

If the US advanced a couple rounds that would change.

Pretty unlikely I understand.

Sally Redux Jun 7th 2014 4:47 am

Yeah I'll watch a bit, quite looking forward to it :thumbup:

Daughter's boyfriend is American but more into it maybe because of Iranian background - he said he'd come over and watch some.

kimilseung Jun 7th 2014 5:20 am

Lots of Americans in Seattle are looking forward to it. Particularly loads of kids of Mexican descent in the school I work at, we have been having some good banter for a few weeks now, mostly we have been lamenting the embarrassment to come for both our teams.

markonline1 Jun 7th 2014 5:59 am

Americans not being interested in the World Cup is one of those misconceptions that just isn't true. Granted, the country won't shut down if they reach the quarters like back home, but I use a couple of other forums that has a large American usage, and excitement is pretty strong on them. Taking my brother in law to the local Brit pub to watch the games on a big screen. I'd like to see the US do well, really can't see them getting passed the group stage though.

Nutmegger Jun 7th 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11291656)
Lots of Americans in Seattle are looking forward to it. Particularly loads of kids of Mexican descent in the school I work at, we have been having some good banter for a few weeks now, mostly we have been lamenting the embarrassment to come for both our teams.

Here it is the many residents of Brazilian ancestry who can't wait. Past wins by the Canarinho have resulted in impromptu parades up and down the main street of a nearby town.

Sheepdip Jun 7th 2014 3:29 pm

Will be watching all the England games and probably all of the US ones too. Pretty high interest at my place of work and I'm running a sweepstake there :)

Ruth16 Jun 7th 2014 9:42 pm

USA v Ghana June 22. USA v Portugal June 26

US coach told his team not to bother going :)

Pulaski Jun 7th 2014 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11291672)
Americans not being interested in the World Cup is one of those misconceptions that just isn't true. ...

Depends how you define "Americans". The World Cup might have significant support in certain demographics, such as those with Hispanic heritage, and younger ones who play at school or college. But I don't believe there is much interest in the bulk of the run-of-the mill white and black US population. Any wider interest is a four-yearly phenomon, a bit like the 2wk/ year tennis fans in Britain. :lol:

RICH Jun 7th 2014 10:07 pm

This time next week I will be watching England v ?Italy?.
This time I am American too, so doubled my odds of a good outcome (right?):)

Pulaski Jun 7th 2014 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11292500)
This time I am American too, so doubled my odds of a good outcome disappointment (right?) ...

FIFY :)

Mr Weeze Jun 7th 2014 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11292509)

But it really hasn't doubled the odds of disappointment, mathematically, has it? It's gone from 31 in 32 times disappointment to 15 in 16.

RICH Jun 7th 2014 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11292509)

I was born in Sept 66, so I know no better :rofl:

Pulaski Jun 7th 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 11292514)
But it really hasn't doubled the odds of disappointment, mathematically, has it? It's gone from 31 in 32 times disappointment to 15 in 16.

In the round-robin rounds there is the potential for twice as many disappointing outcomes.

kimilseung Jun 7th 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11292500)
This time I am American too, so doubled my odds of a good outcome (right?):)

Americas chance of getting out of the group is probably less than England's. We are all doomed.