British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   "work to live" vs "live to work" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/work-live-vs-live-work-756328/)

Derrygal Apr 29th 2012 1:03 pm

Re: "work to live" vs "live to work"

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10031223)
You seem to have completely missed my point.

Let me try again.

It isn't that I don't want to or can't listen to "a few negative facts" - it is that I find you to be extremely boring to the point that I am simply not going to waste any more of my time reading your posts :)

+ 1

Nutmegger Apr 29th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by elop (Post 10030660)

I know that your view is shared amongs a lot of Brits,

Er, what view is that????? All I recall doing is agreeing with Noorah's opinion that one introduces oneself in context with the situation in which one finds oneself..

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 29th 2012 2:18 pm

I don't really understand the question actually:blink:

We work so we CAN live! There is no choice and I'm sure most of us are the same.

I enjoy my job but I don't let it rule my life for a few reasons. First I don't get paid enough for it to take over personal time and secondly I enjoy my time away from work with my husband.

cindyabs Apr 29th 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10031483)
I don't really understand the question actually:blink:

We work so we CAN live! There is no choice and I'm sure most of us are the same.

I enjoy my job but I don't let it rule my life for a few reasons. First I don't get paid enough for it to take over personal time and secondly I enjoy my time away from work with my husband.

Exactly. :nod:

Mr Weeze Apr 29th 2012 3:36 pm

I've got an entirely unrelated question - what happens to future help a poster may need after they behave in a moronic way in a thread?

Entirely hypothetical, of course...

Jerseygirl Apr 29th 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10031553)
I've got an entirely unrelated question - what happens to future help a poster may need after they behave in a moronic way in a thread?

We are then accused of being 'crappy'. :D

Sally Redux Apr 29th 2012 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10031553)

They change their name.

Mr Weeze Apr 29th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10031762)
They change their name.

:thumbdown: for that...

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 29th 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10031762)
They change their name.

:lol::lol:

Steerpike Apr 30th 2012 4:59 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10027915)
My priorities and perspective have changed over time.

Until my mid to late 30's I didn't distinguish "work to live" and "live to work" - I needed to work to make enough money to live but I also enjoyed what I did so there was no conflict.

Now, at 56, I still need to "work to live" - after 35 years or so I don't particularly enjoy what I do any more, but I am still good at it and it pays well so the most practical thing for me to do right now is to stick with it until I feel that I have enough money stashed away to retire, which is probably still about another 5 years away ...

Of course I have ideas of other things that I would rather be doing, and some of them would actually produce some income, but they would not produce *enough* income for me to live on so I would end up having to spend some of my savings (which, as I said, are still not quite at the point that I would like them to be) and probably have to go on working much longer that I really want to.

I find myself in a remarkably similar position to you; when I first came here, I worked like crazy and loved it. I didn't do it for the money but the money was good so it made it all the more rewarding. Now I'm getting a bit tired of it all, but can't quite bring myself to walk away from it - they still throw good money at me to do what I'm basically good at and enjoy so don't have the balls to rock the boat.

But now that I'm in my early 50's, I see that I may not have that many active years ahead of me - ability to travel freely, wander around hill-towns in Italy, canyons in Utah, whatever - so I'm definitely trying to figure a way to get off the treadmill. Healthcare is the one thing that keeps me from taking action at this point ... if I didn't have to worry about insurance I'd probably quit tomorrow ...

Bob Apr 30th 2012 2:06 pm

Well I think most people can and have agree on one thing in this thread at least... :/

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 30th 2012 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10033115)
Well I think most people can and have agree on one thing in this thread at least... :/

The OP's a twat?

Bob Apr 30th 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 10033235)
The OP's a twat?

I wasn't going to say anything.... :/