British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   "work to live" vs "live to work" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/work-live-vs-live-work-756328/)

ChocolateBabz Apr 27th 2012 3:10 pm

Re: "work to live" vs "live to work"

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10028673)
It would greatly depend on what I was actually doing. As a teacher, or a session/stand in player, I'd not have much stress. As a songwriter I'd have deadlines and the fact that I'm really not very good at writing songs bearing down on me :D

You have gone and replaced work with more work. I was thinking more along the lines of reading books and eating cake!

SultanOfSwing Apr 27th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10028678)
You have gone and replaced work with more work. I was thinking more along the lines of reading books and eating cake!

If it was able to be done on my terms, it wouldn't be work. The only time something vocational like music becomes 'work' is when someone else sticks their neb in and makes it about them.

elop Apr 27th 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10028653)
But if you didn't have to work you wouldn't spend that time doing the same thing every day, you would be free to pursue whatever you wanted to.

I am sure there are some people who are genuinely happy to go to work every day and love what they do, I just haven't ever met a single one!

Really? I've met hundreds....to not meet any your encounters must be limited to those only on minimum wage. You've never met an actor, lawyer, CEO/CTO, doctor, inventor, entrepreneur??, the list goes on...

Some of these people, after 10 years or so (often less), can resign for the rest of the lives, and still have more money than the rest of us, but often they carry on...that's the difference between a job and a career - I'm even sure that their lives have ups and downs like everyone else, but generally they are happy with what they do. Money aside, there's music and art which some people do for free. I've been to many bars in London/Bristol with live music where the musicians are not getting paid any money.

I think the key is in your first paragraph: "...you would be free to pursue whatever you wanted to".......what if you're already doing what you wanted to?

elop Apr 27th 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10028667)
Yes but if you were a professional musician you wouldn't have the pressure and stress of the day job as well would you..

say that to Kurt Cobain and Richey Edwards, to name a couple....perhaps a different kind of stress.

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 27th 2012 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by elop (Post 10028694)
say that to Kurt Cobain and Richey Edwards, to name a couple....perhaps a different kind of stress.

You missed my point...and I can't stand out in the parking lot any longer to explain

AmerLisa Apr 27th 2012 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10028709)
You missed my point...and I can't stand out in the parking lot any longer to explain

Just the image of that, SM, is giving me a chuckle! :rofl:

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 27th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 10028656)
Is today "International Idiots Day"?

Yes Eb ... it most certainly seems that way. :nod:

AmerLisa Apr 27th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 10028731)

What! SOS didn't agree with you? :eek:

SultanOfSwing Apr 27th 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 10028742)
What! SOS didn't agree with you? :eek:

Stop proving his point, dear.

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 27th 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10028746)

She can't help herself ... as soon as she puts finger to keyboard ...

Sally Redux Apr 27th 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 10028731)

It's Plonkers' Friday.

AmerLisa Apr 27th 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10028746)

:flirtyeyes::D

AmerLisa Apr 27th 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 10028749)
She can't help herself ... as soon as she puts finger to keyboard ...

You know.... I see a lot of that around here, do you think its the site? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 27th 2012 3:44 pm

It's too windy now..

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 27th 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10028750)
It's Plonkers' Friday.

Morons' Monday ... Twatty Tuesday ... Wankers' Wednesday ... Thickos' Thursday ... Fukcwits' Friday ... Sadsacks' Saturday ... Simpletons' Sunday.