Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Wise.com - New verification Process

Wise.com - New verification Process

Old Nov 3rd 2023, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wise.com - New verification Process

Just a heads up Wise seem to have started a new verification process. Just booked a transfer and I was asked to provide a photo of my ID, and then a selfie for comparison against the ID. The selfie was a bit tricky as it had to fit their box just so, and the light had to be just right. Took longer to get that right than the rest of the transfer process.
Old Nov 3rd 2023, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wise.com - New verification Process

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just a heads up Wise seem to have started a new verification process. Just booked a transfer and I was asked to provide a photo of my ID, and then a selfie for comparison against the ID. The selfie was a bit tricky as it had to fit their box just so, and the light had to be just right. Took longer to get that right than the rest of the transfer process.
I remember when Transferwise started up they did suggest that when a certain total (cash) of transfers was reached they would ask for something like this.

When I felt I was approaching that total, in readiness, I asked them if I'd be needing to do it. I can't remember what it was but something made me think it wasn't for all users. They responded that it wouldn't be needed. I'm sure I'm well past that total now.

Perhaps it's related to transfer amounts as mine were only every about £500 once a month.

As it happens, I've recently asked for my UK income to go directly to my Canadian bank to avoid potential problems cropping up so if that's worked I won't need Wise anymore.
Old Nov 3rd 2023, 6:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We'll see if they do it again on the next transaction. Been using the account for quite a few years without being required to re verify so this might just be an occasional extra step.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Wise this week, no difference to previous transfers. I don't use very often though
Old Nov 4th 2023, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Same experience here a couple of days ago. Had to re-submit images multiple times due to fuzziness before images were accepted. The most shocking part was seeing my old and decrepit selfie. Probably best not to take selfie first thing in the morning.
Interestingly, Wise transferred US -> UK within 60 minutes, and my US account was not debited until 2 days later (ACH transfer using Plaid). So I got some "free" money for a couple of days. Can't fault Wise.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sid nv
Same experience here a couple of days ago. Had to re-submit images multiple times due to fuzziness before images were accepted. The most shocking part was seeing my old and decrepit selfie. Probably best not to take selfie first thing in the morning.
Interestingly, Wise transferred US -> UK within 60 minutes, and my US account was not debited until 2 days later (ACH transfer using Plaid). So I got some "free" money for a couple of days. Can't fault Wise.
Haha, I signed up with another service this week, the selfie thing is awful. Next time I'll get a haircut and shave :-)
Old Nov 4th 2023, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up, now I won’t be surprised if it happens to me.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

S
Here's why....https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/03/inves...age/index.html
Old Nov 6th 2023, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As it happens, I've recently asked for my UK income to go directly to my Canadian bank to avoid potential problems cropping up so if that's worked I won't need Wise anymore.
It seems that the best part of four weeks isn't enough notice for my pension payer to change which account receives it so I used Wise again. Transfer went through as usual. No additional ID needed.
Old Nov 6th 2023, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

maxibob is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had to go through this verification process at the end of last week. Have been using Wise for a few years. This was the first time I have had to verify my identity
Old Nov 6th 2023, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Not enough of a sample so far but the two who had to do it appear US based. Could be geographical - Wise does have different procedures/restrictions according to which countries are involved - or amount influenced.

Just did a bit of a search to see if it's mentioned elsewhere on BE. I can't see anything.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 6th 2023 at 11:57 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2023, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not enough of a sample so far but the two who had to do it appear US based. Could be geographical - Wise does have different procedures/restrictions according to which countries are involved - or amount influenced.

Just did a bit of a search to see if it's mentioned elsewhere on BE. I can't see anything.
I make it three, but yes all US based.
Old Nov 7th 2023, 12:24 pm
Oscar nominated

I make it three, but yes all US based.
I'm not sure if I can't count or typed two when I meant three.
Either way, back to school for me
Old Nov 7th 2023, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

When I use them I can't do it at home on my desktop as I live in a rural location with no phone signal. The bank and Wise both send verification codes by text, although with Wise you have the option of getting the code by Whatsapp. I have to go to a cafe that has wifi and do the transfer using my phone. Last time I did it I had forgotten that they also ask for postcode, which I could barely remember and is not on my residence card. In future I will have to remember to take something with my address.
Old Nov 7th 2023, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by fidobsa
When I use them I can't do it at home on my desktop as I live in a rural location with no phone signal. The bank and Wise both send verification codes by text, although with Wise you have the option of getting the code by Whatsapp. ...

This is why I'm in the process of having the money go directly to my Canadian bank, even if the exchange rate isn't as good.
My UK bank and Wise will occasionally send a code via email which is no problem at all but if any of it becomes text only, it won't work for me as I don't have a cell phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.