Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Will you grow old in America?

View Poll Results: Will you grow old in America?
No, can't imagine it!
11.76%
Yes, I know I will.
36.76%
I'd like to but probably not.
2.94%
I wouldn't like to but it may happen.
22.06%
Not sure what the future will bring.
22.06%
Other
8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Will you grow old in America?

Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you grow old in America?

It's a lot of work moving to a new house, let alone a new country. Most people want an easy life. Many retirees that I know in the US are snowbirds. A lot from this part of the world go to Arizona in the winter, I think the east coast, the destination is Florida.

Many current retirees have reasonable income and can afford to take long vacations etc. In 10 to 20 years time, I think the climate will be very different.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought it would be more. Generally, I think most people retire and grow old where they lived while working, but there is less noise and publicity about them than for those who up-sticks and head for Spain, Florida, etc,or indeed back to their home country, when they retire.

The country where I have lived the bulk of my life -- the US -- is now my home country. If I returned to the country of my birth -- the UK -- it would be a tremendous culture shock. Not that I don't think about what I would do if I was widowed, as I have no family here -- but if I did go back it would not be because I want to, but because I need to, from the perspective of making it easier for my sister's children to keep tabs on me!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought it would be more. Generally, I think most people retire and grow old where they lived while working, but there is less noise and publicity about them than for those who up-sticks and head for Spain, Florida, etc,or indeed back to their home country, when they retire.
Most of us are going to retire where we can afford to, let's be honest

Right now I can barely afford to die, but I've a few years to go yet, right?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Plus I think generally people who love their life in the US are off enjoying themselves...not posting on a forum for Brit Expats. I realise there are some on here that do love their life and are on BE just to help others.
Some of us just live to shitpost, of course
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Most of us are going to retire where we can afford to, let's be honest

Right now I can barely afford to die, but I've a few years to go yet, right?
You can die for free if you are willing to donate your body to medical science.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...odies-brokers/
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You can die for free if you are willing to donate your body to medical science.
I mean, I guess they can have it if they really want.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:58 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, I guess they can have it if they really want.
Why they'd love your body! Seriously, a youngish person with functioning eyes, heart, internal organs, etc. They'd be thrilled.

....Hmmm, except I know peeps with CJD aren't allowed to donate blood, organs, or marrow in this country. It may be that there's still a restriction if one's lived in Blighty.

I know when I did a self-assessment years back for donating bone marrow to a relative with leukemia, living in England disqualified me immediately....
Old Oct 30th 2017, 7:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Why they'd love your body! Seriously, a youngish person with functioning eyes, heart, internal organs, etc. They'd be thrilled.

....Hmmm, except I know peeps with CJD aren't allowed to donate blood, organs, or marrow in this country. It may be that there's still a restriction if one's lived in Blighty.

I know when I did a self-assessment years back for donating bone marrow to a relative with leukemia, living in England disqualified me immediately....
Hopefully I'm not still young-ish when they come to be able to harvest said organs
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully I'm not still young-ish when they come to be able to harvest said organs
...I'd also be fairly insistent on my organs having stopped functioning before some oick tries to cut them out...
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:44 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The missus and I will certainly be staying on here. We've already bought our burial plot at a local cemetery along with all the other stuff necessary for the great departure
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zzrmark
...I'd also be fairly insistent on my organs having stopped functioning before some oick tries to cut them out...
It's a minor niggle, but an important one, I feel.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:26 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, but that's difficult to predict. I've got 'Organ Donor' on my drivers licence because the grim reaper could come for me at any time.

I'm really curious as to whether or not they will actually "harvest" any of my body A.D., considering I lived in Blighty. Unfortunately I'll never know....
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:30 pm
I have a comma problem

Hopefully, but that's difficult to predict. I've got 'Organ Donor' on my drivers licence because the grim reaper could come for me at any time.

I'm really curious as to whether or not they will actually "harvest" any of my body A.D., considering I lived in Blighty. Unfortunately I'll never know....
Yeah, I forgot about the whole mad cow shit when I got my first driving license and just told them they could dig around in there if I get squished. I suppose what they don't know won't hurt them.

I know it means I can't give blood though.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I forgot about the whole mad cow shit when I got my first driving license and just told them they could dig around in there if I get squished. I suppose what they don't know won't hurt them.

I know it means I can't give blood though.
My daughter’s best friend had cancer...we couldn’t apply to be stem cell donors. I doubt organs would be acceptable...maybe if it’s for medical science research.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter’s best friend had cancer...we couldn’t apply to be stem cell donors. I doubt organs would be acceptable...maybe if it’s for medical science research.
Well, I'll be dead, so I guess the onus is on them to check the source.

We ate mostly frozen burgers growing up though, and as far as I know there's no mad horse disease, so maybe I'm safe after all ...
Old Oct 31st 2017, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I am growing old in the US.

Right this minute I really wish I wasn't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.