British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Will you grow old in America? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/will-you-grow-old-america-904400/)

WEBlue Oct 10th 2017 5:34 pm

Will you grow old in America?

Am recovering (I hope) from a bout of less-than-optimal health, so I can't be arsed to make this a logical, sensible kind of poll. But in my low state of mind in the past few weeks, I've begun to wonder about this....

I'm already "old-ish", at least according to some, having now my first grandchild, though health is generally fairly manageable ATM. But I wonder, since none of us are getting any younger, how folks here feel about this.

Nutmegger Oct 10th 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Will you grow old in America?

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12358031)
Am recovering (I hope) from a bout of less-than-optimal health, so I can't be arsed to make this a logical, sensible kind of poll. But in my low state of mind in the past few weeks, I've begun to wonder about this....

I'm already "old-ish", at least according to some, having now my first grandchild, though health is generally fairly manageable ATM. But I wonder, since none of us are getting any younger, how folks here feel about this.

You need another category: " I did."

mrken30 Oct 10th 2017 5:40 pm

I live in a right not to grow old state. So I have options.

WEBlue Oct 10th 2017 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12358035)
You need another category: " I did."

Oops, I knew I'd miss a few! ;) :lol:

That's why I like that "Other" category....

dc koop Oct 10th 2017 7:10 pm

I've already grown old in America and contrary to the perceptions of those UK expats who believe health care here is inferior to the NHS my health coverage in this country is excellent

robin1234 Oct 10th 2017 8:13 pm

I'm on the fence. I now spend about half my time in England. I'm afraid I find the USA pretty bleak, not just current political dysfunction.... As for healthcare, yeah I prefer NHS. However the extent of my healthcare the past few years is a flu shot each fall (in my local US drugstore.)

Pulaski Oct 10th 2017 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12358096)
.... contrary to the perceptions of those UK expats who believe health care here is inferior to the NHS ....

I don't recall anyone arguing that US Healthcare is "inferior" to the NHS, just that it is expensive.

dc koop Oct 10th 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12358127)
I don't recall anyone arguing that US Healthcare is "inferior" to the NHS, just that it is expensive.

I opted to have my monthly Medicare payment made to a private health insurer instead. I pay nothing for doctor visits. the three prescription medications I have to take on a daily basis, hospital stays or any surgery if it were ever needed.

If I were admitted to hospital I would either have a room to myself or share with no more than one other person.

Being old and on the Senior Advantage health program means that I have the advantage over the younger generation of course.

robin1234 Oct 10th 2017 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12358136)
I opted to have my monthly Medicare payment made to a private health insurer instead. I pay nothing for doctor visits. the three prescription medications I have to take on a daily basis, hospital stays or any surgery if it were ever needed.

If I were admitted to hospital I would either have a room to myself or share with no more than one other person.

Being old and on the Senior Advantage health program means that I have the advantage over the younger generation of course.

So, you have a Medicare advantage plan with $0 monthly premium- just the part B premium? In that case, don't you have an annual deductible? (I have a $6,700 annual deductible.)

But maybe you have healthcare from a former employer as secondary?

WEBlue Oct 10th 2017 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12358037)
I live in a right not to grow old state. So I have options.

:lol:

One alternative--dying in America--I considered including in my question (& poll)...but after some thought I left it out.

Pulaski Oct 10th 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12358187)
..... One alternative--dying in America--I considered including in my question (& poll) .....

Also "I am going to be frozen in liquid nitrogen until they work out how to bring me back". :D

tom169 Oct 10th 2017 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12358190)
Also "I am going to be frozen in liquid nitrogen until they work out how to bring me back". :D

I'm looking at buying a mausoleum.

Couldn't find a ghost emoticon so here's an :angel:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 10th 2017 9:56 pm

I would prefer to be old in the US since there is a variety of warmer climates in winter to choose from, but I'll probably have to freeze each winter in Canada...

Pulaski Oct 10th 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12358213)
I'm looking at buying a mausoleum. .....

You used to be able to pick them up in Asia Minor and just wander off with them, but those days are gone. :(

http://www.7wonders.org/images/asia/.../mausoleum.jpg

tom169 Oct 10th 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12358227)
You used to be able to pick them up in Asia Minor and just wander off with them, but those days are gone. :(

http://www.7wonders.org/images/asia/.../mausoleum.jpg

Love the uplighting. :lol: