Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Old May 30th 2010, 3:22 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Or, perhaps, you've gone native.

No. It's the current that kills you, not the potential difference. So US supplies are actually more dangerous, as well as being shit.
Now your just being ornery!!!! Get back in yer cave)
Old May 30th 2010, 3:30 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SDDep
Now your just being ornery!!!! Get back in yer cave)
That's "Man Cave" to you, Buster!
Old May 30th 2010, 3:36 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

That's "Man Cave" to you, Buster!
Fine! Your "man cave" complete with no "shit" electricity

Maybe you can get Norweb to supply some of that super safe english electricity via that secret tunnel that connects the US and the UK...or NOT...

Last edited by SDDep; May 30th 2010 at 3:38 am. Reason: I wasn't done yet!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by SDDep
Maybe you can get Norweb to supply some of that super safe english electricity via that secret tunnel that connects the US and the UK...or NOT...
A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
Old May 30th 2010, 3:54 am
Not around much..

there is one...I'm tellin ya....what was that movie from the 60's where there was a tunnel between China and the US? same guys dug this one!!! I read it in the National Enquirer!!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think so, but in practice it doesn't matter. 110 and 240 are both considered "low voltage" and either is capable of overcoming skin resistance at the point of contact and delivering more than the "let go" current (at which point you can't let go) and the lethal current (which, depending on the path it takes, can be more or less than let go).

IIRC, for low voltage stuff the PD doesn't really come into play, from a safety point of view, until you get down to around 30V.
OK, you got me interested in this ... according to numerous sites I visited, the main issue is skin resistance. On the one hand, it only takes about 200 milliamps across the heart to cause the heart to fibrillate. But human skin has a high electrical resistance (100 kohm), so touching any typical electrical source has little effect.

But if your skin is WET, resistance drops by a factor of 100 to 1 kohm, and at 1 kohm, even 120 Volts can deliver the appropriate current - 120 Volts / 1000 ohm = 120 mAmps.

Now, back to my original argument - if you are in the bathroom, and your skin is 'damp' (as opposed to 'wet'), and you touch 120 V, you have a better chance of surviving than if you touched 240 V. I would say it is a definite fact that 240 V is more dangerous in this regard, from a practical perspective, and accounts in part for why US plugs are less 'protected', and why electrical outlets and switches are not as highly regulated by 'code' in US bathrooms.

Finally, another way that voltage is a factor is when the voltage gets high enough to break down your skin entirely; this is the case when you have lightening - lightening striking the skin will damage the cellular structure and break through to the inner body, which has a much lower resistance.
Old May 30th 2010, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, you got me interested in this ... according to numerous sites I visited, the main issue is skin resistance. On the one hand, it only takes about 200 milliamps across the heart to cause the heart to fibrillate. But human skin has a high electrical resistance (100 kohm), so touching any typical electrical source has little effect.

But if your skin is WET, resistance drops by a factor of 100 to 1 kohm, and at 1 kohm, even 120 Volts can deliver the appropriate current - 120 Volts / 1000 ohm = 120 mAmps.

Now, back to my original argument - if you are in the bathroom, and your skin is 'damp' (as opposed to 'wet'), and you touch 120 V, you have a better chance of surviving than if you touched 240 V.
You're flogging a dead horse here, mate. The OSHA page you link to talks about variations of two orders of magnitude (factor of 100). Other sources make it a factor of 500, or 1000. In that range, a factor of 2 is just a drop in the ocean.

What you're missing is that there's catastrophe point, around 30V, at which the PD is able to overcome the skin resistance and allow a current to flow. Once past that, the voltage is irrelevant as long as you stay within the low voltage range used in domestic wiring.

I would say it is a definite fact that 240 V is more dangerous in this regard, from a practical perspective, and accounts in part for why US plugs are less 'protected', and why electrical outlets and switches are not as highly regulated by 'code' in US bathrooms.
And I would say this is wishful thinking, symptomatic of the way you seem to have become "more American than the Americans". It's OK to accept that everything in the US isn't the best thing in the world, you know?

Finally, another way that voltage is a factor is when the voltage gets high enough to break down your skin entirely; this is the case when you have lightening - lightening striking the skin will damage the cellular structure and break through to the inner body, which has a much lower resistance.
Now you're talking about something other than low voltage, and that's a whole 'nother thing.
Old May 30th 2010, 6:36 pm
Not around much..

You're flogging a dead horse here, mate. The OSHA page you link to talks about variations of two orders of magnitude (factor of 100). Other sources make it a factor of 500, or 1000. In that range, a factor of 2 is just a drop in the ocean.

What you're missing is that there's catastrophe point, around 30V, at which the PD is able to overcome the skin resistance and allow a current to flow. Once past that, the voltage is irrelevant as long as you stay within the low voltage range used in domestic wiring.

And I would say this is wishful thinking, symptomatic of the way you seem to have become "more American than the Americans". It's OK to accept that everything in the US isn't the best thing in the world, you know?

Now you're talking about something other than low voltage, and that's a whole 'nother thing.
Your bein ornery again!!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A factor of two doubles your chances of a problem - I'll take the better odds of 120 Volts when surrounded by water, thanks!

American wiring is more susceptible to electrical fires, due to the current being double for a given power requirement, and the lower voltage/higher current makes the system more susceptible to household 'fluctuations' (like when you turn on a motorized appliance and your lights dim). Wiring also costs more, due to the need for more copper (more current capacity) for a given application. So I would not say I'm being unfair in my analysis. I've noticed recently in several posts that you've been attacking the poster rather than their logic ... you are not the only one who does that but I thought you were above that. Is it the wrong time of the month?

We know, from practical experience, that a human can touch BOTH 120V and 240V and live to tell the tale (when skin is dry and body is insulated to ground). We also know that people are killed by both 120V and 240V when skin is wet and there is a good path to ground. The two factors - 'wetness', and grounding, are quite complex variables to identify, but since there is a definite, practical, real-life range from 'safe' to 'unsafe', the threshold will be passed more quickly with 240 V compared to 120 V. Arguing against that defies common sense.

Last edited by Steerpike; May 30th 2010 at 7:36 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Now, back to my original argument - if you are in the bathroom, and your skin is 'damp' (as opposed to 'wet'), and you touch 120 V, you have a better chance of surviving than if you touched 240 V. I would say it is a definite fact that 240 V is more dangerous in this regard, from a practical perspective, and accounts in part for why US plugs are less 'protected', and why electrical outlets and switches are not as highly regulated by 'code' in US bathrooms.
In real life however 240V should be less dangerous in this situation, because of all the regulations.

When I'm soaking wet and naked, I'd much rather be using a 6' length of non conductive string to operate a 240 V switch than be fractions of inches away from a 120 V switch.

On the subject of switches, I've seen a few US houses where there are no faceplates on switches in the bathroom, because people are renovating (permanently, it would seem). 120 V or not, when you can see the bare ends of the wire and metal, it's a bit scary!
Old May 30th 2010, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by srefre
In real life however 240V should be less dangerous in this situation, because of all the regulations.

When I'm soaking wet and naked, I'd much rather be using a 6' length of non conductive string to operate a 240 V switch than be fractions of inches away from a 120 V switch.

On the subject of switches, I've seen a few US houses where there are no faceplates on switches in the bathroom, because people are renovating (permanently, it would seem). 120 V or not, when you can see the bare ends of the wire and metal, it's a bit scary!
Can't argue with that!
Old May 31st 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Wow! I asked the question, went away for the weekend, and came back to a lengthy discussion about voltage and David Bowie lyrics... well, thanks for all the info everyone... haven't pulled any more plugs, but I do still think UK plugs feel a lot sturdier, and some US ones (especially if being used with an adaptor) barely manage to stay in the bloody wall!
Anyway, it's a god-awful small affair... Sorry, couldn't resist that one!
Old May 31st 2010, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And I would say this is ... symptomatic of the way you seem to have become "more American than the Americans". It's OK to accept that everything in the US isn't the best thing in the world, you know?

Just for grins, Chartie ... you seem to be conveniently overlooking my many prior transgressions. I do not approve of American foreign policy towards Israel (today's example of why the US should back off from supporting Israel); I think gun-rights in this country are out of control; the political process is far too expensive for the average candidate; the healthcare system in the US (pre-Obama, at least) sucks ass; US cellular service is inferior to most other countries (for the price paid) ... and the list goes on. What drives me nuts, though, is when people piss and moan about trivial shit like the wiring, or the bread, or the grocery stores, or the temperature of the beer, or the use of knives and forks, or the height of walls in toilets, and countless other trivia that shouldn't even occupy the braincells of productive, forward thinking, engaged human beings ... but these are subjects for other threads, battles for other days ..

Last edited by Steerpike; May 31st 2010 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:56 pm

What drives me nuts, though, is when people piss and moan about trivial shit like the wiring, or the bread, or the grocery stores, or the temperature of the beer, or the use of knives and forks, or the height of walls in toilets, and countless other trivia that shouldn't even occupy the braincells of productive, forward thinking, engaged human beings ...
There you go then. Surely there's nothing more British than sticking to trivial shit? Example: in a WWII bomb shelter, drinking tea from a thermos while bombs fall all around, the correct answer to "How are you bearing up?" is "Well, the water for this tea could have been a bit hotter."

You've rejected that - ergo American.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:31 am
Not around much..

There you go then. Surely there's nothing more British than sticking to trivial shit? Example: in a WWII bomb shelter, drinking tea from a thermos while bombs fall all around, the correct answer to "How are you bearing up?" is "Well, the water for this tea could have been a bit hotter."

You've rejected that - ergo American.

You have my vote kitty kat!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.