Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Wikiposts

Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Old May 28th 2010, 7:10 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why shouldn't I pull the plug?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, you started it with GFCI, so you're on shaky ground criticising my RCD (Residual Current Device).

Most houses in the UK that don't have shitty wiring do have them - the reason you haven't seen them is that they're typically located in the main Consumer Unit (fuse box to you) either as standalone RCDs or as RCBOs (Residual Current Breaker with Overload - an RCD combined with an MCB - Miniature Circuit Breaker).

In contrast, in the US they're typically incorporated into the socket, because the electricity supply is shit and the frequent wild fluctuations cause too many false trips if they're in the CU.

One good reason to pull out the plugs, here, is the prevalence of unswitched sockets. Or outlets, as they call them.
Oh bull. Sounds like the British were just brought up to be afraid of everything.
Old May 28th 2010, 7:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
That's what I want to know. Bunch of plug-pulling-out turning-things-off-and-on freaks of nature.
I dunno, they seem to have a knack for make-work. Like all that ironing and net curtain cleaning...
Old May 28th 2010, 8:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I dunno, they seem to have a knack for make-work. Like all that ironing and net curtain cleaning...
Well they better just leave my crap plugged in. People need to stop messing with stuff that's not bothering them. I'm just saying.
Old May 28th 2010, 8:56 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
and we have a fair number of power cuts.
Thats LA for ya...your all nuts up there
Old May 28th 2010, 9:12 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh bull. Sounds like the British were just brought up to be afraid of everything.
It's true. We're particularly afraid of (in no particular order) Zulus, Germans, Paddys and Argies.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:21 am
WTF?

It's true. We're particularly afraid of (in no particular order) Zulus, Germans, Paddys and Argies.
Zulus do have poison darts but other than that - it's a pile of piss.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

and David Bowie is afraid of Americans
Old May 28th 2010, 9:49 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think were afraid of any of those...after all, we have whupped em all...a few times as I remember...
Old May 28th 2010, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

You ought to be afraid of the spaniards and the brazilians. One of those will surely block your road to the finals in the WC.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:14 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
and David Bowie is afraid of Americans
He's under pressure.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:40 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That reminds me of last week's Criminal Minds episode. I don't know why but I thought that episode was particularly scary.
YES!
Old May 28th 2010, 11:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

He's under pressure.
Well he was The Man who sold the World.
Old May 28th 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
I'm sure there are upsides and downsides to both...however, i will say this, at least here we have outlets in the bathrooms...and the light switches...tell me that aint convenient...

Its a wonderful thing having GFCI circuits...will the old country ever catch on to that...
I have to say, the F-ing british plug is big enough to stun an ox. I like the way the US plug actually fits in a bag!

And yes - light switches in bathrooms are what God intended, no question.
Old May 28th 2010, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have to say, the F-ing british plug is big enough to stun an ox. I like the way the US plug actually fits in a bag!

And yes - light switches in bathrooms are what God intended, no question.
http://is.gd/ctSxL You'd like that for a plug then

And light switches, had those in the UK, well the rope pulls...don't want to be touching electricals with wet hands and all....well....
Old May 28th 2010, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Well he was The Man who sold the World.
Oh you Pretty Things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.