Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Wikiposts

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Originally Posted by albanks2542
CNN is way off base and my figures are high also. Crime figures of Chicago Police from their website to July 16th 369 murders 1557 shootings. Murders up 5% on last year at the same time year
So 369 too many then?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:27 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

CNN is way off base and my figures are high also. Crime figures of Chicago Police from their website to July 16th 369 murders 1557 shootings. Murders up 5% on last year at the same time year
Still, we don't hear much from BLM about Chicago do we ?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Still, we don't hear much from BLM about Chicago do we ?
Black on black doesn't count, only blue on black matters.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a dislike of law enforcement I have never actually had cause to interact with them ever in my life apart from at passport control. I don't envy your daughter her job but I just can't imagine the the met police killing this woman with taser or blow to the head from a nightstick or even striking her with a nightstick or using pepper spray when she was in her pj's carrying a cellphone and trying to report a crime
I do not feel different to you, regarding the horrific situation referenced in this thread. I feel that the officer who shot this woman should (and will) face the consequences. It was an unforgivable act. My point is that this was not likely to be a result of his training - in fact I would assume that this happened despite his training.

I also suspect that British police are significantly less likely to be on the receiving end of a firearm - and that may afford them the luxury of assessing situations in a less pressurized environment. That said, they still get attacked - just with knives and blunt objects, rather than guns. It's way easier to shoot a cop than get into physical fist fight with one.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:51 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I do not feel different to you, regarding the horrific situation referenced in this thread. I feel that the officer who shot this woman should (and will) face the consequences. It was an unforgivable act. My point is that this was not likely to be a result of his training - in fact I would assume that this happened despite his training.

I also suspect that British police are significantly less likely to be on the receiving end of a firearm - and that may afford them the luxury of assessing situations in a less pressurized environment. That said, they still get attacked - just with knives and blunt objects, rather than guns. It's way easier to shoot a cop than get into physical fist fight with one.

So confronted with a knife what is an unarmed cop supposed to do. He can attempt to persuade the knife wielder to see reason and put the weapon down. But if that fails? Tackle the person and attempt to disarm him? No cop should be expected to risk receiving a stab wound which could also be fatal.

Cops are not Kamikaze warriors. Shooting the knife wielder is the best solution. Case closed

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 23rd 2017 at 11:54 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Cops are not Kamikaze warriors. Shooting the knife wielder is the best solution. Case closed
Agree, though that isn't an option for most British bobbies. Tazer is their default defensive weapon now.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

2000 shootings not deaths. They are not all dead if chicago had 2000 murders so far this far it would be martial law in the city. Death toll is about 450 on a par with the same time last year.
Cops are trigger happy because of the violence in the African American community. This is the reality: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...rs_126911.html
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Black on black doesn't count, only blue on black matters.
Not that it doesn't count ; it's because blue is supposed to protect the people and is funded by the people. Criminals and gangbangers are not expected to protect the people and don't have the monopoly on power that government is entrusted with.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
.... Criminals and gangbangers are not expected to protect the people .....
So "criminals and gangsters are expected to shoot people, therefore people shouldn't protest about it" appears to be the gist of what you're saying.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Or, Boomhauer is saying shootings should only be protested if the shooter-victim combination is cross-racial?

I disagree entirely and believe that it is outrageous that African-Americans - or those of any race - are getting shot in senseless gun violence, regardless of what race or profession the perpetrators are.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by carcajou
Or, Boomhauer is saying shootings should only be protested if the shooter-victim combination is cross-racial?

I disagree entirely and believe that it is outrageous that African-Americans - or those of any race - are getting shot in senseless gun violence, regardless of what race or profession the perpetrators are.
The senseless gun violence in Chicago is because of turf wars between rival gangs in the drugs and prostitution business. It is easier after all to make a lot more money a lot more quickly peddling drugs and pimping than going out and earning a living 9 to 5.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I said unless my life is in danger, e.g. someone is attempting to break down the door.

But then they probably won't turn up anyway. When I had a new alarm installed my daughter set it off accidentally and the cop didn't show for an hour.
They should not have turned up at all because your alarm system should have called your home number or your cell number to determine what the nature of the problem is. It is only if there is no response to the call or the response is that someone is trying or has broken in, do they confirm to the police that they are needed on the scene.

On one or two occasions, husband has not made it to the alarm system in time and it has gone off. Within 1 minute the phone rings and it is the alarm company checking things out.

Most people I meet know the police can't be relied on to show up quickly in an emergency.
They responded to my call quickly when I called them back in 1991 when my fiancée had a massive heart attack in my living room.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Police should not be allowed to carry a round in the chamber until they have had 5 years of patrol experience. That way they would need to make slightly more of an effort to load the weapon
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mrken30
Maybe the Police should not be allowed to carry a round in the chamber until they have had 5 years of patrol experience. That way they would need to make slightly more of an effort to load the weapon
Ninety percent of police officers spend 20-30 years on the force and never even had to draw the weapon once.

Maybe a lot of stupid people in this country should only be allowed toy pistols that shoot little jets of water
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:53 am
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ninety percent of police officers spend 20-30 years on the force and never even had to draw the weapon once.

Maybe a lot of stupid people in this country should only be allowed toy pistols that shoot little jets of water
That is not true every officer draws their weapon all the time maybe many do not fire it. I just have been recently watching these police women of name the city shows they filmed over the years. They all had their guns out numerous times on traffic stops, arrests, pursuits, etc etc. Never saw on a fly on the wall cop documentary were the officer didn't draw the weapon.

I would like to know where that info comes from and if it is true what makes the 90% not draw their weapon during their duties when the other 10% do yet they do the same job?

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 26th 2017 at 8:57 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.