British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Why do Americans bolt their food and go ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/why-do-americans-bolt-their-food-go-639229/)

exvj Nov 6th 2009 3:52 am

Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 8076349)
Er, I don't think so, unless you like yours raw! When we have chez our French friends, they always cook our meat a bit longer as they know we can't stand the blood oozing out of the flesh...:ohmy:

(OMG I spent a weekend at their home in Grenoble last Summer and the guy, Fabrice, made a fabulous plum tatin....French food is the best!) :)

If it ain't still mooing, it won't be doin' for me !

jeez I have been here too long talking like that...

cindyabs Nov 6th 2009 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 8076349)
Er, I don't think so, unless you like yours raw! When we have chez our French friends, they always cook our meat a bit longer as they know we can't stand the blood oozing out of the flesh...:ohmy:

(OMG I spent a weekend at their home in Grenoble last Summer and the guy, Fabrice, made a fabulous plum tatin....French food is the best!) :)

Isn't the saying, the French live to eat, the rest of the world eat to live?

My fave is the Alsace- the German heartiness with the French tweaking.

exvj Nov 6th 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8076377)
Isn't the saying, the French live to eat, the rest of the world eat to live?

My fave is the Alsace- the German heartiness with the French tweaking.

Our French agent in Paris asked me if 'You would like to eat Alsatian tonight?'

to the Americans I should explain that an Alsatian is a German Shepherd dog in the UK

I am a cat person so I said OK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

cindyabs Nov 6th 2009 4:21 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8076384)
Our French agent in Paris asked me if 'You would like to eat Alsatian tonight?'

to the Americans I should explain that an Alsatian is a German Shepherd dog in the UK

I am a cat person so I said OK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

I knew that one, just like what we call a Holstein cow is called a Friesian in Europe.

exvj Nov 6th 2009 4:38 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8076427)
I knew that one, just like what we call a Holstein cow is called a Friesian in Europe.

My USC wife didn't know what a budgie was - apparently they are called parakeets in the US

The UK knows parakeets as a small parrot type thing and nothing like a budgie
Budgerigars are a top pet in the UK - or were

She also claimed the US had hedgehogs and pointed one out in the park in Milwaukee - it was a big podgy ground hog
When we lived in the UK I brought a hedgehog in the house so she could see what I meant. They can be tamed in about 10 minutes. It caught a few fleas off me but was otherwise unharmed. They sell the white fronted African hedgehog in the pet shops in the US but not the European version which is unknown in the US

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/bird...ts/budgies.php

Englishtart Nov 6th 2009 7:36 am

You guys had me thinking that I had grown up in another Country (not UK) so I called my Sister to ask her if I was going crazy,(won't tell you what she said) or did we not have 'doggy bags' in some restaurants back home? She said, there are not too many around now, but she said she and her family had been at the "bamford arms' in Stockport last week and had not been able to finish all the food, the waitress had offered them a take away box, which they refused as they were going on to a pub.

I feel better now and a little 'less' crazy :lol:

exvj Nov 6th 2009 7:47 am

Amazes me that we spend $100 dollars going out for a meal and then prize the $1 worth of food that we take home (slarting up the car seats in the process) and put in the fridge overnight before throwing it way the next morning

The $100 is for the ambiance and the food itself is of little value

Rather have beans on toast for brekky than warmed up spare ribs with congealed sauce and dried out rice... That practise belongs to Dickens' days when people were starving

When I see people asking for doggy bags, I think what a set of peasants, they must have no food at home...why don't they stay in and buy some food instead of wasting what little money they have in a restaurant

I don't judge though

Englishtart Nov 6th 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8077093)
Amazes me that we spend $100 dollars going out for a meal and then prize the $1 worth of food that we take home (slarting up the car seats in the process) and put in the fridge overnight before throwing it way the next morning

The $100 is for the ambiance and the food itself is of little value

Rather have beans on toast for brekky than warmed up spare ribs with congealed sauce and dried out rice... That practise belongs to Dicken's days when people were starving

When I see people asking for doggy bags, I think what a set of peasants, they must have no food at home...why don't they stay in and buy some food instead of wasting what little money they have in a restaurant

I don't judge though

If I am going home after we have eaten out, I will sometimes ask for a doggy bag, it depends on what it is though, if it's something that tastes good re-heated then yes, I don't see it as anything negative, I have plenty of food in my freezer, but why waste good food? Especially as I have paid for ALL of it!:p I'm beginning to think you are a bit of a snob young man :lol:

Mallory Nov 6th 2009 8:08 am

When I see people asking for doggy bags, I think what a set of peasants, they must have no food at home...

The operative word is doggy bag! ;)

exvj Nov 6th 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8077109)
If I am going home after we have eaten out, I will sometimes ask for a doggy bag, it depends on what it is though, if it's something that tastes good re-heated then yes, I don't see it as anything negative, I have plenty of food in my freezer, but why waste good food? Especially as I have paid for ALL of it!:p I'm beginning to think you are a bit of a snob young man :lol:

Well I am trying fight my tightness by splashing out nowadays - although I just sent a modem back that I had bought for $17. There was a restocking fee of 15% and it cost me $6 to send it back and I had to stand in line in the post office and drive down there

I would bend down to pick up a nickel (but not in san francisco)

So I will jump through hoops to save $2 but doggy bags are even beneath me.

As I say, the market value of what's in the bag is ... nothing
If you don't believe me, try and sell it on the way home...
Ask the restaurant to credit it for next time...
Offer it to the winos in the park - they will refuse

Nope it's worthless.. the money is for providing the restaurant and the second hand plate scrapings are for the piggies on the farm

Gimme a nice new fresh boiled egg (4 mins) in an imported egg cup and a slice of toast

Englishtart Nov 6th 2009 8:23 am

The market value of my leftovers isn't something that interests me, I only bring home what I want to eat the 'rest' of.

Don't you eat the leftovers from home cooking? What is the difference?:huh:

AmerLisa Nov 6th 2009 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8077067)
You guys had me thinking that I had grown up in another Country (not UK) so I called my Sister to ask her if I was going crazy,(won't tell you what she said) or did we not have 'doggy bags' in some restaurants back home? She said, there are not too many around now, but she said she and her family had been at the "bamford arms' in Stockport last week and had not been able to finish all the food, the waitress had offered them a take away box, which they refused as they were going on to a pub.

I feel better now and a little 'less' crazy :lol:

Maybe its only the snobby restaurants that don't do them....:sneaky:

dollface Nov 6th 2009 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8073696)
Don't recall having that issue when we dine out for dinner and it isn't usually in an expensive restaurant. We don't dine out often at chain restaurants so that might be the difference.

Also my DH is a Canadian and no one, but no one, bolts his food down faster than he does. I'll still have 1/2 a plate left and he is ready for his brandy.

My O/H was raised in Canada also, and he throws down food like lightning. He says so as it doesn't get cold:rolleyes:

dollface Nov 6th 2009 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 8077144)
The operative word is doggy bag! ;)

certainly was the meaning years ago;)

Rete Nov 6th 2009 9:10 am

I don't judge though

But you just did.

Yes, I consider myself a peasant. No illusions of grandeur or Rockefellerism for me. If I ordered a meal and it was delicious and I find that I cannot eat but 1/2 of the meal, I will most certain take the remainder home if it is the type of dish that will reheat well.

Some leftovers can't be reheated, i.e. prime rib, steak, but others are better the next day, i.e. pasta.

Taking home the leftovers is not a matter of not having food at home as you so provincially think but rather good sense. After all if I spent $25 to 40 for an entree :eek: why would I throw another day's meal in the garbage. After all there are straving children in Africa.

My only exception would to not ask for a doggie bag at a white glove establishment. Although I would love to do it one day just for the shock appeal.