British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Why do Americans bolt their food and go ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/why-do-americans-bolt-their-food-go-639229/)

exvj Nov 5th 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 8073778)
I can recommend a nice relaxed venue in Pearland - serve great Pasta ;)

google maps says 2414 miles, 1 day 17 hours

better be worth it...

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2009 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8073759)
most people go out for the ambience and to relax

I'd say 90% of the time we go out it's to avoid cooking and doing dishes.

Elvira Nov 5th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8073797)

you....... you...................... utilitarian!!! :p:rofl:

exvj Nov 5th 2009 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 8073780)
This is too funny - we should do a poll on this one to see how many people experience this :rofl:

Best incident I had was a lady who had her meal and then in a loud voice she said 'anyway I have decided to dump you' Everyone stopped eating and turned round.

I said 'ok'

She shouted 'So it's up to you what we do now - you can drop me off at my house or take me back to your place and F me for the last time'

Everyone leaned forward...the silence was painful

I dropped her off outside her place

She works as a mystic now - totally crackers but fit as a butcher's dog

cindyabs Nov 5th 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8073696)
Don't recall having that issue when we dine out for dinner and it isn't usually in an expensive restaurant. We don't dine out often at chain restaurants so that might be the difference.

Also my DH is a Canadian and no one, but no one, bolts his food down faster than he does. I'll still have 1/2 a plate left and he is ready for his brandy.

My DH beats me by a mile as well. I always want to say, it's okay, no rush, they won't take the plate before it's cleaned. :lol:

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2009 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 8073801)
you....... you...................... utilitarian!!! :p:rofl:

We get home from work... stand staring at the pile of dishes in the sink and the lack of anything thawed out for dinner... a sigh... a quick glance at Wife, "We got money?" ... a shrug and a nod... Chinese? Mexican? Another shrug... "Mexican then." "Kids!! Get in the car!! We're going OUT!!"

exvj Nov 5th 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8073813)
My DH beats me

I was going to offer sympathy - but then I read the rest of the post !

cindyabs Nov 5th 2009 5:48 pm

This reminds me, when DH before he was DH came over to visit for a week, we splurged and went to a place in Savannah (sadly no longer open) that had 10 tables and a 7 course surprise menu. The chef announced that he would prepare whatever, except for sweetbreads and brussels sprouts (cue Sprout Boy's indignant response). So we started off and were enjoying the meal and I look over and DH is FALLING ASLEEP!!!

I don't know if the meal wasn't fast enough for him or what, but it was pretty bizarre.

This is also the night I took off my shoes once we left the restaurant and then HAD to take off my slip in public, but that's another story. :blink:

cindyabs Nov 5th 2009 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8073820)
I was going to offer sympathy - but then I read the rest of the post !

Yeah well, he's the Brit...............:lol:

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8073805)
Best incident I had was a lady who had her meal and then in a loud voice she said 'anyway I have decided to dump you' Everyone stopped eating and turned round.

I said 'ok'

She shouted 'So it's up to you what we do now - you can drop me off at my house or take me back to your place and F me for the last time'

Everyone leaned forward...the silence was painful

"Waiter? Check please, no dessert tonight, thank you."

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8073805)
I dropped her off outside her place

:confused:

She must have paid for dinner.

exvj Nov 5th 2009 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8073821)
and then HAD to take off my slip in public, but that's another story. :blink:

Don't leave me this way !!!! Tell !

What are slips anyway - I have forgotten...

Wifey and everyone else wears jeans all the time

I told her to get some suspenders and she walked in looking like ellie may clampett with her braces and all

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2009 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 8073831)
I told her to get some suspenders and she walked in looking like ellie may clampett with her braces and all

:tounge_smile:

Bluegrass Lass Nov 5th 2009 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8073797)

have to agree..98% of the time we go out, it's because we are too lazy/tired/etc to cook or clean. The other 2% of the time are birthdays & anniversary dinners.

Englishtart Nov 5th 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8073814)
We get home from work... stand staring at the pile of dishes in the sink and the lack of anything thawed out for dinner... a sigh... a quick glance at Wife, "We got money?" ... a shrug and a nod... Chinese? Mexican? Another shrug... "Mexican then." "Kids!! Get in the car!! We're going OUT!!"

Did you ever decide on a place for your anniversary?

Englishtart Nov 5th 2009 7:05 pm

The quick get in-eat-get out routine in most restaurants here, used to bother me at first, I guess I just got used too it, I don't really notice it so much any more.

I like that we can 'share' an appetizer and even the entree if we are not that hungry, it saves on the bill and the loosening of the top button:blink:
Some places will charge you for a 'plate' if you are sharing, but even then it is worth it as the portions are huge!

There are still some 'posh' restaurants that you can book a table in and it's your table for the night, these are places we usually go too with friends that are visiting, or on special occasions.;)