Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Just to balance your extreme characterisation of the position, the opposite end of the spectrum has folks being locked away in loony bins without due process because they made a powerful enemy, or some social worker needed to meet their quota or even, shock horror, because of honest mistakes by well meaning people.
It was by no means an extreme characterization. Believe me I am aware of the issues that you raise, but in my opinion it does not excuse permitting people in need of treatment going without. Rather, it calls for a process that protects both. Surely a nation that claims to be so capable in so many things can find a process that will ensure a fair and just means to determine who honestly needs the help and who is being railroaded. After all, this IS the 21st century. Surely we have progressed to some degree and need not live in a past of abuses.

Last edited by dakota44; Jan 13th 2011 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
It was by no means an extreme characterization. Believe me I am aware of the issues that you raise, but in my opinion it does not excuse permitting people in need of treatment going without. Rather, it calls for a process that protects both. Surely a nation that claims to be so capable in so many things can find a process that will ensure a fair and just means to determine who honestly needs the help and who is being railroaded. After all, this IS the 21st century. Surely we have progressed to some degree and need not live in a past of abuses.
Rosenhan's experiment suggests not (though I hope lesson have been learnt)
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Rosenhan's experiment suggests not
An experiment in 1973 that used pseudopatients to fool hospital staff. Sorry, but I don't relate that to effective diagnosis of truly ill patients. Anyone can convincingly pretend to be insane and, in doing so, might then find it rather difficult to prove they are not, especially in an environment filled with mentally ill patients and overworked staff. But the truly insane don't find it so easy to pretend to be sane. This character in Arizona had ALL the classic symptoms and could not hide them.

Last edited by dakota44; Jan 13th 2011 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

An experiment in 1973 that used pseudopatients to fool hospital staff. Sorry, but I don't relate that to effective diagnosis of truly ill patients. Anyone can convincingly pretend to be insane and, in doing so, might then find it rather difficult to prove they are not, especially in an environment filled with mentally ill patients and overworked staff. But the truly insane don't find it so easy to pretend to be sane. This character in Arizona had ALL the classic symptoms and could not hide them.
The point was in relation to chartreuses fear of the sane being deprived of their freedom.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The point was in relation to chartreuses fear of the sane being deprived of their freedom.
OK, I understand that. There are ways to protect against that kind of abuse. It only requires the will and the legislation.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:12 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I understand that. There are ways to protect against that kind of abuse.
Are they effective? Or just a sop so's folks can sleep well at night?

It only requires the will and the legislation.
Once upon a time being gay was evidence of insanity. As was falling pregnant out of wedlock.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

What is insanity? Is being strange or out of the ordinary the definition of insanity? That was the problem in the 1950s/1960s where over a 1/2 million people were forcibly committed.

The problem is that the vast majority of the mentally insane are not violent much like the population as a whole. So how can a psychiatrist determine which will be violent. Most psychiatrists won't make that call because they will likely be wrong.

Of all the US assassination attempts or terrorist attacks, I can only name 3 that could be considered mentally insane. Just because a person has paranoid delusions does not mean they will carry out their fantasies.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:56 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are they effective? Or just a sop so's folks can sleep well at night?

Once upon a time being gay was evidence of insanity. As was falling pregnant out of wedlock.
Isn't it time we stopped living in the past? I don't live in the realm of what happened 50 years ago. I care what is possible today. I will admit that it is an issue fraught with disagreement.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:10 am

Isn't it time we stopped living in the past? I don't live in the realm of what happened 50 years ago. I care what is possible today. I will admit that it is an issue fraught with disagreement.
Is that code for "let's forget the mistakes of the past, so's we can have a damn good crack at repeating them"?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
What is insanity? Is being strange or out of the ordinary the definition of insanity? That was the problem in the 1950s/1960s where over a 1/2 million people were forcibly committed.

The problem is that the vast majority of the mentally insane are not violent much like the population as a whole. So how can a psychiatrist determine which will be violent. Most psychiatrists won't make that call because they will likely be wrong.

Of all the US assassination attempts or terrorist attacks, I can only name 3 that could be considered mentally insane. Just because a person has paranoid delusions does not mean they will carry out their fantasies.
I would never proclaim that Psychiatry is remotely perfect. It never will be. But we certainly have a better handle today on what constitutes Paranoid personality - Schizoid Personality - and many others. Agreed that not all people who suffer from many of these issues is a danger to others, although certainly potentially a danger to themselves in many cases. I also do not support automatic incarceration in a mental institution except for severe cases, and they are not so difficult to spot.

The sad truth is, we cannot even ensure that someone who is suffering a mental illness accepts medication to alleviate their symptoms. In the majority of cases, that is all that would be needed and they would lead a much better life. We live in this belief that a person who is irrational and in the throes of suffering some of these issues is somehow rational enough to decide if they should have treatment, or more accurately that they have the freedom to choose, even when they lack the rationality to do so. I just find it cruel to let people suffer who do not need to. Had this kid received sufficient outpatient care and supervised medication, some innocent people might be alive to day.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that code for "let's forget the mistakes of the past, so's we can have a damn good crack at repeating them"?
What are we, children who refuse to learn from their mistakes? Sad commentary on humanity if we are. There have been horrendous things done in the name of medical research (like infecting black men with syphilis, among others) but we haven't stopped medical research, thank heaven. We just work hard to make sure such atrocities are not repeated. If we decided that we should do nothing that someone else ****ed up in the past, we would still be living in the dark ages.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:16 am

What are we, children who refuse to learn from their mistakes? Sad commentary on humanity if we are.
Mate, this is such an easy shot. From what you've said; Yes. You are.

There have been horrendous things done in the name of medical research (like infecting black men with syphilis, among others) but we haven't stopped medical research, thank heaven. We just work hard to make sure such atrocities are not repeated.
You think it might be a good idea to make sure we've got effective mechanisms in place* to prevent such things before we start sticking random folks in the Gulag?

If we decided that we should do nothing that someone else ****ed up in the past, we would still be living in the dark ages.
I just can't. It's too easy.

ETA: * Assuming such a thing were even possible.

Last edited by chartreuse; Jan 14th 2011 at 3:45 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh go on. You know you really want to.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mate, this is such an easy shot. From what you've said; Yes. You are.

You think it might be a good idea to make sure we've got effective mechanisms in place* to prevent such things before we start sticking random folks in the Gulag?

ETA: * Assuming such a thing were even possible.
Oh come on. The first comment is just plain silly. The second, of course I think there should be a mechanism and a reasonable process...and I never said to start shoving people in asylums tomorrow. I also made it clear that for the vast majority of these individuals, medication and not hospitalization would be the answer.

As for the last comment, it seems that the argument I hear most often is that "this happened before, so no". So why can we not learn from those mistakes and put in place those mechanisms that you speak of, and yes they are possible, and get help to people who need it.

Sorry if you fail to see any validity to my argument. I'm someone who does not like to see mentally disturbed people suffer those torments needlessly. I must be terribly warped to be so concerned.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Had this kid received sufficient outpatient care and supervised medication, some innocent people might be alive to day.
I don't know how this works in the USA, would the patient have to pay for this themselves?

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jan 14th 2011 at 4:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.