British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Why Americans don't like Obamacare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/why-americans-dont-like-obamacare-699621/)

elfman Jan 14th 2011 7:25 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9101881)
One of the guys who subdued Loughner was concealed carrying.
24 year old.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...im.html?r=news

Much good it did him:

http://www.slate.com/id/2280794/

so basically he didn't draw his own weapon because
(a) he didn't know if the first guy he saw holding a gun was a good or bad guy (he was a good guy)
(b) he was concerned that if he drew a gun someone else might shoot him.

Whoopee.

meauxna Jan 14th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9101903)
Girrrrl, don't get me started.

I know.. we need a different thread for that.

Rete, I hear ya. I'm just saying that the whole topic has been quite shocking.

dakota44 Jan 14th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9101879)
Of course people can be forced into outpatient treatment. A judge can order a psychiatric evaluation. It happens every day. However, a college professor cannot or a classroom of his peers cannot. If he had returned to campus, and campus police had arrested him, that is probably exactly what a judge would have done. He didn't go back to the school though, did he? And I think that was a very well calculated choice.

Through the courts in the wake of some legal violation...but try to get an adult family member who has had no run in with the legal system into treatment against their will. Is that so easy? I am of the opinion that it isn't, but it also may vary from State to State.

chartreuse Jan 14th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9101690)
How do we all become 'my brother's keeper'?

We have a winner! Finally, somebody is asking the difficult question. :thumbup:

Clue: Contrary to what Steerpike (in every case) and Dakota (in this case) seem to believe, the answer to all difficult questions is not "Give the state more draconian powers."

robin1234 Jan 14th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 9101911)
Much good it did him:

(a) he didn't know if the first guy he saw holding a gun was a good or bad guy (he was a good guy)

Whoopee.

Interesting; that argues strongly for a situation where the only people who are permitted to carry and use guns are police officers.

chartreuse Jan 14th 2011 7:35 pm

Much good it did him:

Whoopee.

That article is so very biased it's pathetic. A brave young man made a series of good judgement calls, but the arsehole writing it has to twist the facts to suit his agenda. :thumbdown:

Incidentally - why is there a picture of a Model of 1895 Nagant revolver? :confused:

robin1234 Jan 14th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 9101934)
That article is so very biased it's pathetic. A brave young man made a series of good judgement calls, but the arsehole writing it has to twist the facts to suit his agenda. :thumbdown:

Incidentally - why is there a picture of a Model of 1895 Nagant revolver? :confused:

I don't see where you are coming from with that harsh judgement of the article in Slate. You don't see the danger of people shooting other armed bystanders in this type of situation?

Leslie Jan 14th 2011 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 9101916)
Through the courts in the wake of some legal violation...but try to get an adult family member who has had no run in with the legal system into treatment against their will. Is that so easy? I am of the opinion that it isn't, but it also may vary from State to State.

No. It isn't easy at all. Nor should it be.

dakota44 Jan 14th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 9101920)

Clue: Contrary to what Steerpike (in every case) and Dakota (in this case) seem to believe, the answer to all difficult questions is not "Give the state more draconian powers."

See it the way you wish, but that is not what I said in any way. Did I ever mention giving the State such powers? I don't think so. Point it out if I did.

Setting the record straight.....I have an opinion about the lack of appropriate mental health treatment for people in desperate need of it and also about the occasional tragic results. I in no way support locking every mentally ill person up in the loony bin. It is a bit disingenuous for anyone to suggest that I do. It is somewhat sad that one can express a wish for better mental health care for those who do not have the capacity to 'agree' to it and then be accused of, well whatever some of you are suggesting. I ONLY WANT THOSE WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES TO HAVE ACCESS TO THE APPROPRIATE TREATMENT THAT THEY DESERVE BUT ARE INCAPABLE OF CHOOSING. I do not find that to be some horrendous crime and it is disturbing that there are so many who are happy with the status quo and refuse to think there might possibly be another path that will not jeopardize the individual. Go to extremes rather than discuss possible options. Sounds a lot like the political debate in the country these days.

If you have an accident, blood all over, head injury and are in shock and delusional as a result, and you tell me that you do not want an ambulance...**** you, you get one anyway because you are not possessing the capacity to determine if you need one. In fact, I suspect that in most States if I failed to call one I could be criminally charged. Yet we grant the mentally ill, with no capacity to make the decision, the opportunity to decide if they want treatment or not.

I would have much preferred that this discussion had encouraged some suggestions as to how the system could be changed without the damaging consequences so many fear. But that was too much to ask.

Sally Redux Jan 14th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9101948)
I don't see where you are coming from with that harsh judgement of the article in Slate. You don't see the danger of people shooting other armed bystanders in this type of situation?

Yes, quite unnecessary to be so rude and dismissive.

Octang Frye Jan 14th 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 9101920)

I know. It's depressing in its naivete and repetitiveness.
New laws! Stricter laws! If it saves one life! Nothing to hide!
Too much liberty - we don't need it! Make us feel safe! Take care of us!

It would seem that people like this are lacking something developmentally. Because they have a childlike need for some "other" to look after them and ensconce them in this illusory blanket of "safety", they simply can't comprehend that most other people are not of a similar persuasion.
Their simple, infantile perception of the world precludes this.

It's all very sad. Unfortunately, there are enough of these bleating morons out there who stray into positions of influence and power and they do their utmost to ruin it for the rest of us grown-ups.

dakota44 Jan 14th 2011 7:52 pm

Much good it did him:

Whoopee.

When everyone can carry a gun it does create a situation where you cannot tell the harmless from the potentially dangerous. There was a time when if someone strode into the WalMart brandishing an AK47 or with a handgun on his side you knew there was trouble coming. Funny how when everyone can do it, you just never know.

Sally Redux Jan 14th 2011 7:53 pm

Round and round we go.

dakota44 Jan 14th 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9101950)
No. It isn't easy at all. Nor should it be.

Of course it should not be terribly easy, but it also should not be near impossible. I do respect your thoughts, but no doubt we need to agree to disagree.

chartreuse Jan 14th 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9101976)
Yes, quite unnecessary to be so rude and dismissive.

I thought I was rather polite about the failings of what was, frankly, a two bit hatchet job that I wouldn't wipe my arse with. :)