British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/who-else-concerned-about-trip-uk-christmas-family-934907/)

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2020 9:13 pm

Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12947982)
A big new lockdown has just been announced by the PM. If my nephew can’t travel from London to join the family in Yorkshire, why should people from overseas be permitted to do as they please? Folks should stay home and keep themselves and their loved ones safe, or this thing is never going to be controlled.

I agree completely. :nod:

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 20th 2020 1:17 am

Under tier 4 restrictions, non-essential shops, hairdressers and leisure and entertainment venues will close, with a new “stay at home” message introduced.

People who need to travel for education or childcare will be exempt, and exercise will be unlimited. Where people cannot work from home, they are still able to travel to work.

Under the measures, households will not be allowed to mix, but one person will be allowed to meet with one other person outside in a public space. Support bubbles and those meeting for childcare will be exempt.

<<<SNIP>>>
Guardian summary

retzie Dec 20th 2020 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 12947936)
I'm sorry folks: this is not the year to be travelling. This kind of irresponsible behavior is a large contributor to why we're in this mess. I miss my family too, but to me it's selfish and irresponsible to fly thousands of miles right now. Wait until next summer, then have a blow-out. I'm encouraged that most here seem to agree.

Yup, exactly. I live on my own and have seen three friends total since March (only one indoors). That time has included two funerals I couldn't attend, one near, one far.

Minimizing the number of virus-carrying vehicles (i.e., living humans) moving about the country/planet is the most effective contribution most of us are in a position to make. None of us are enjoying this, but we're not doing it because it's fun, or even bearable.

petitefrancaise Dec 20th 2020 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12947985)
I agree completely. :nod:

me too.
I cancelled my trip 3 hours before check in.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 20th 2020 11:55 am

Sky News is reporting a mass exodus from London. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...pital-12168045

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 20th 2020 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12948106)
Sky News is reporting a mass exodus from London. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...pital-12168045

Tier 4 infectives exporting the bug into Tier 2 areas - brilliant.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 20th 2020 12:02 pm

I was Zooming yesterday and one person mentioned that whilst they were in 4 fortunately their Golf Club is in 2.

robin1234 Dec 20th 2020 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12948110)
I was Zooming yesterday and one person mentioned that whilst they were in 4 fortunately their Golf Club is in 2.

Good opportunity for them to practice their putting, in the living room.

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12948052)
me too.

Wise move, especially after yesterday’s news of the 70% more virulent strain.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 20th 2020 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12948112)
Good opportunity for them to practice their putting, in the living room.

I am sure that is the plan. You should however be ok if you were taking a lesson.

jammiie Dec 20th 2020 2:47 pm

With some EU countries banning flights from the UK, does anyone think the US could do the same?

If so, would they typically give some grace period for USCs abroad to return home?

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 20th 2020 2:54 pm

This is not a typical situation.

retzie Dec 20th 2020 4:17 pm

me too.

Good on you :thumb:

'Twill be a merry ol' BE Christmas as we all wait it out at home. I shall be plying myself with gifts from Islay :nod:

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2020 4:57 pm

me too.

BA and Virgin are not issuing refunds for flights cancelled due to Tier 4. Issuing credits to be used by end of 2022.

It said on BBC news last night that UK travel agents and airlines can not afford to issue refunds.

SanDiegogirl Dec 20th 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12947982)
A big new lockdown has just been announced by the PM. If my nephew can’t travel from London to join the family in Yorkshire, why should people from overseas be permitted to do as they please? Folks should stay home and keep themselves and their loved ones safe, or this thing is never going to be controlled.

Completely agree..... nearly 700 flights arrived in Heathrow yesterday from all over the world.

Do you suppose all those people a) had a negative test certificate taken in the 72 hours before their flight to the UK or b) had a test at arrival or c) were going into isolation for 10 days on arrival. Like heck......

Little point in lockingdown folks IN the UK when every Tom, Dick and Harry is allowed in from everywhere else.