British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/who-else-concerned-about-trip-uk-christmas-family-934907/)

priceycheese Sep 20th 2020 12:16 am

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

As the title says. After a year without travel back home (I usually get 3-4 visits in per year) I'd just about accepted I'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks, but with the news coming out of the UK seemingly getting worse, I'm worried this just isn't realistic.

Anyone else contemplating Christmas in Blighty?

capin Sep 20th 2020 12:35 am

Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Originally Posted by priceycheese (Post 12912048)
As the title says. After a year without travel back home (I usually get 3-4 visits in per year) I'd just about accepted I'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks, but with the news coming out of the UK seemingly getting worse, I'm worried this just isn't realistic.

We were lined up to go to my wife's hometown in Northern Thailand (Phitsanulok) in Novermber and back to my home in London for Christmas. Both have gone out the window.

RICH Sep 20th 2020 12:35 am

No.I subscribe to no travel unless absolutely critical. For the forseeable future.

Jerseygirl Sep 20th 2020 1:22 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12912053)
No.I subscribe to no travel unless absolutely critical. For the forseeable future.

Same here.

postbox134 Sep 20th 2020 2:56 am

I'd happily go back, but totally dependant on the travel ban being lifted due to not being an LPR or a USC...

Dmac_ Sep 20th 2020 3:29 am

Originally Posted by priceycheese (Post 12912048)

Yep. Unless something insane happens, I'll be spending Christmas there, and will be taking sensible precautions. Although, I should add that both me and my folks are in low-COVID areas at the moment. If I lived in Florida it'd be a different story.

Russet Sep 20th 2020 2:16 pm

We have just returned from UK, a trip which we only undertook following the sudden death of my father in law. We would have not undertaken the trip otherwise.

We were required to quarantine for 14 days in the house and could only leave for the funeral. You need to be happy to travel and stay for the Holidays on this basis.

I guess the biggest issue for us was the risks we were putting on other family members. CT is fairly safe COVID wise at the moment but you never know. While travel through JFK and on the plane was quiet, LHR was crazy busy. Only a few masks, no social distancing and little sign of cleaning in sight. So you have be aware of contact you make on your travels. In general, UK was far more relaxed than here, so not surprised to hear the cases are rising over there. We did a COVID test before we left, one in UK and another on our return, more for our peace of mind. I personally would not travel again unless it was exceptional circumstances.

Pollyana Sep 21st 2020 11:54 am

If you have the option, go, and think yourself lucky.
Those of us imprisoned in Australia are unlikely to even be allowed to leave for Christmas 2022

moi Sep 21st 2020 4:01 pm

I was just looking for flights to go over in Oct/Nov/Dec with my 4 year old and leave my 15 year old here with his dad for school reasons (they are not allowed to leave the state of NJ for travel or subject to school disciplinary action.
I am loosing my job at the beginning of next year and I have a new job in the pipeline so basically I need to use up 1-2 weeks of vacation time before I loose it. If and when I start the new job next year, I will not be able to take any vacation time for a while. There is part of me telling me to go for it and another part thinking I will loose my money as the flight will get cancelled or postponed (not booked anything yet). I would be travelling from Newark, NJ or JFK, NY to Manchester and then taking a train to Hull or paying for a cab to pick me up.
Does anyone think this is crazy or I should go for it before it is too late. I have not been home for 5 years, although my mum did visit us last summer in NJ for a couple of weeks. I don't know what to do.

Kooky. Sep 21st 2020 9:33 pm

I don't consider the UK home and haven't spent Christmas there for more years than I can remember (well before we left in 2002) but personally, though I am desperate to see my Dad, I won't be going until things improve on both sides of the pond. I'm also on a temporary visa and two immigration lawyers have advised against leaving the country.

That said, I know an increasing number of airlines are offering no-fee changes, and some full cancellations so, if that's what's putting some of you off booking, look into that. For reasons with which I won't bore you, we have just booked some fully refundable flights with Delta.

Jerseygirl Sep 21st 2020 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12912815)
I don't consider the UK home and haven't spent Christmas there for more years than I can remember (well before we left in 2002) but personally, though I am desperate to see my Dad, I won't be going until things improve on both sides of the pond. I'm also on a temporary visa and two immigration lawyers have advised against leaving the country.

That said, I know an increasing number of airlines are offering no-fee changes, and some full cancellations so, if that's what's putting some of you off booking, look into that. For reasons with which I won't bore you, we have just booked some fully refundable flights with Delta.

if she wants a direct flight to Manchester...then she will have to fly United from Newark.

Kooky. Sep 21st 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12912817)
if she wants a direct flight to Manchester...then she will have to fly United from Newark.

I've lost count of the emails I've had from various airlines about no change fees - that could be one of them (as I have an account) so worth a look.

edit: To clarify, the flights I've booked are not to the UK.

Pulaski Sep 21st 2020 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12912053)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12912060)
Same here.

Me too. I wouldn't travel anywhere on a plane unless my attendance in person was essential, and given that IMO neither weddings nor funerals are "essential", I would struggle to find any reason to get on a plane at the moment.

My family in the UK are 200% on board with this, including my mother who is elderly, and even though she is good health, statistically there is a fair chance that she won't see me again if I don't travel to the UK before Christmas 2021.

BennyBall Sep 21st 2020 10:15 pm

Your last line on the post was .... I don’t know what to do ...
Well, I missed my Dad’s 90th Birthday family celebration in the U.K. recently due to my decision not to travel.
my decisions were based upon the need to take two flights, as I have no direct route from my home city ... my requirements on arrival at Heathrow, car hire, probably, public transport, most definitely not. ..... having to quarantine for two weeks at my parents home. Yes, wonderful to spend the time with them, but how much am I putting their lives at risk .... how many people would I have come into contact with on my travel time going over ..... bottom line is that I love my folks too much to place them in that position.
I hope that helps you in making your mind up whether to travel over or not. Good luck.

mrken30 Sep 21st 2020 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by moi (Post 12912704)
I was just looking for flights to go over in Oct/Nov/Dec with my 4 year old and leave my 15 year old here with his dad for school reasons (they are not allowed to leave the state of NJ for travel or subject to school disciplinary action.
I am loosing my job at the beginning of next year and I have a new job in the pipeline so basically I need to use up 1-2 weeks of vacation time before I loose it. If and when I start the new job next year, I will not be able to take any vacation time for a while. There is part of me telling me to go for it and another part thinking I will loose my money as the flight will get cancelled or postponed (not booked anything yet). I would be travelling from Newark, NJ or JFK, NY to Manchester and then taking a train to Hull or paying for a cab to pick me up.
Does anyone think this is crazy or I should go for it before it is too late. I have not been home for 5 years, although my mum did visit us last summer in NJ for a couple of weeks. I don't know what to do.

All of those places are high risk, if you are not concerned about catching it and don't care about spreading it, this should be fine. I think the airline will move your ticket without fees. Personally I would not risk it, but I have a low tolerance to risk, and avoid situations if possible. The worst that could happen is that you get hospitalized in the UK .

https://imperialcollegelondon.github...anchester.html
https://imperialcollegelondon.github.io/covid19local/