British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/who-else-concerned-about-trip-uk-christmas-family-934907/)

petitefrancaise Dec 22nd 2020 7:13 pm

Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

I hadn't yet cancelled my return flight from the UK to USA on 28th December. I just received this email from Delta.

We look forward to seeing you on your upcoming flight departing from the United Kingdom. As you plan for upcoming travel, we’re committed to providing the information you need to be prepared, safe and secure upon arrival. Beginning December 24th, all passengers flying from the United Kingdom to the United States, or transiting through the United States, are required to show proof of a negative PCR or LAMP COVID-19 test taken less than 72 hours prior to departure. Passengers will be required to show proof of the negative test result prior to boarding their flight from the U.K. Passengers originating travel outside of the U.K. and transiting through the U.K. are exempt from this requirement. We recommend that passengers get tested prior to arrival at the airport. For additional information, please visit the list of U.K. approved testing providers to find a testing center prior to travel. Testing is also available at London-Heathrow (LHR) airport; more information is also available for LHR airport testing and to schedule a test. Please arrive four hours early to the airport to allow extra time to get your test if you have not done so in advance. If you still plan to travel, know that we’ve raised the standard for safer travel by putting measures in place across every step of the journey to help keep you healthy and give you more peace of mind. If you no longer wish to travel to the United States from the United Kingdom, please let us know by modifying or canceling your trip via My Trips on Delta.com prior to your scheduled flight.
If you choose to cancel, rest assured the value of your ticket won&#39t be lost. Your original ticket number becomes an eCredit and may be used for future travel with Delta. Miles redeemed toward SkyMiles award travel may be redeposited. Taking care of you is at the center of everything we do. To help you make informed decisions regarding your travel, the latest information on COVID-19 can be found on Coronavirus Update Center. Thank you for choosing Delta.

Chins Dec 22nd 2020 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12948864)
I hadn't yet cancelled my return flight from the UK to USA on 28th December. I just received this email from Delta.

My wife and myself have been in the UK and I had hoped to spend time with my daughters, but the new lockdown has scuppered that. Selling our UK House so not the only reason to be here. I agree just doing it for a holiday would be irresponsible. We have just changed our flights back to NJ tonight and will fly on the 24th.
No mention of a COVID test. I think its down to the route being flown and airline, in reality everyone on the plane pretty much has to be a citizen/resident if not in transit so they dont want to stop them.
Its still strange to think that you can goto a bar in NJ and there will be 8 plus people at a table, people shaking hands/fist pumps etc, yet the infection rate is still higher than where i am in Bucks.

petitefrancaise Dec 22nd 2020 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Chins (Post 12948875)
No mention of a COVID test. I think its down to the route being flown and airline, in reality everyone on the plane pretty much has to be a citizen/resident if not in transit so they dont want to stop them.

wrong.
read this again from my post

Beginning December 24th, all passengers flying from the United Kingdom to the United States, or transiting through the United States, are required to show proof of a negative PCR or LAMP COVID-19 test taken less than 72 hours prior to departure. Passengers will be required to show proof of the negative test result prior to boarding their flight from the U.K.
and since Bucks is in Tier 4 - with a high prevalence of this new variant of Covid19 - then maybe you shouldn't be travelling at all????

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 22nd 2020 11:08 pm

It doesn't appear its a government requirement and something Delta and partner Virgin Atlantic have chosen to do on all flights, where BA is only doing it for New York flights at the request of NY State, United and American at this time are not going to require testing.

"British Airways will also require a PCR or LAMP test within 72 hours of departure. The testing requirement will apply only to its London-JFK service."

"United and American, which are currently the two other airlines serving the U.S. from the U.K., said they aren't instituting a testing requirement for travelers from the country, at least for now."

" Delta and Virgin Atlantic said their new testing requirement will take effect on Dec. 24. All customers flying from the U.K. to the U.S. will be required to take a PCR or LAMP molecular test within 72 hours of the flight."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-UK-US-flights

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 23rd 2020 12:24 am

Well it is not as if all flights are banned and you can not travel via a third country.

Rete Dec 23rd 2020 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12948955)
It doesn't appear its a government requirement and something Delta and partner Virgin Atlantic have chosen to do on all flights, where BA is only doing it for New York flights at the request of NY State, United and American at this time are not going to require testing.

"British Airways will also require a PCR or LAMP test within 72 hours of departure. The testing requirement will apply only to its London-JFK service."

"United and American, which are currently the two other airlines serving the U.S. from the U.K., said they aren't instituting a testing requirement for travelers from the country, at least for now."

" Delta and Virgin Atlantic said their new testing requirement will take effect on Dec. 24. All customers flying from the U.K. to the U.S. will be required to take a PCR or LAMP molecular test within 72 hours of the flight."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-UK-US-flights

My NY daughter is flying internally to MS from NY via Delta and knows that she must have the test before being allowed to board the plane.

Chins Dec 23rd 2020 2:37 am

and since Bucks is in Tier 4 - with a high prevalence of this new variant of Covid19 - then maybe you shouldn't be travelling at all????[/QUOTE]

Well I work in the US and I’m a PR. Tier 4 will be here for many months. You are allowed to travel internationally for work and keeping my job would be desirable. Staying in the UK isn’t an option

Mallory Dec 23rd 2020 5:51 pm

My BILs grandson flew from NJ to Florida several days ago with a negative test in hand. He met up with family members, and next day or so felt unwell. Another test done, which was positive. All family now in quarantine.

Jerseygirl Dec 23rd 2020 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12949243)
My BILs grandson flew from NJ to Florida several days ago with a negative test in hand. He met up with family members, and next day or so felt unwell. Another test done, which was positive. All family now in quarantine.

I would ground all passenger flights throughout the world for 28 days. Citizens, PRs, illness etc etc etc...tough luck.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 23rd 2020 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12949243)

Yes the test isn't fool proof.

This lady in Oklahoma was showing symptoms of COVID, over a period of 12 days she had 4 tests done, only 1 came back positive.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/08/us/tu...rnd/index.html

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 24th 2020 10:31 pm

United has decided to follow Delta and Virgin Atlantic's lead and require testing before departure, they had previously said earlier in the week they didn't have plans, but seem to have reversed course.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...ntl/index.html

retzie Dec 25th 2020 12:43 am

Hello to everyone who has stayed home :wave:

Hope you're having a safe and sensible Christmas, however you are choosing to (not) celebrate it.

petitefrancaise Dec 25th 2020 3:25 am

Hi Retzie
:wave:
Christmas eve and the kids are at their dad's and I am drinking wine and listening to spotify.
Joyeux Noel everyone.
xx

retzie Dec 25th 2020 4:10 am

Excellent! Happy Christmas, PF :drinkingwine: