Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where do I buy nice clothes?

Where do I buy nice clothes?

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I buy nice clothes?

Burlington Coat Factory sometimes have some nice stuff too.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Martin & Osa, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Urban Outfitters, LL Bean.

Just a few other places that haven't been mentioned yet.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Macy's, JC Penny, Cato, Target, Coldwater Creek, Eddie Bauer, Dillards, Old Navy, Anthropologie - unfortunately all these stores have their fair share of weird and wonderful stuff so you do have to have a good rake around. There's a nice store upstairs in the Galleria but I can't remember it's name right now - I'll let you know if I remember
Oh yes Anthropologie might suit her.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

Couldn't be without Boden (www.bodenusa.com) - a uk co. that now sells online over here. Free postage and returns.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Macy's, JC Penny, Cato, Target, Coldwater Creek, Eddie Bauer, Dillards, Old Navy, Anthropologie - unfortunately all these stores have their fair share of weird and wonderful stuff so you do have to have a good rake around. There's a nice store upstairs in the Galleria but I can't remember it's name right now - I'll let you know if I remember
Personally I found Coldwater Creek expensive and the clothing does not wear well at all.

Remember as well that each store will stock appropriate clothing to the demographics of the area. For instance the clothing in JC Penney in the 'burbs around Washington, DC are more appropriate for business than the clothing stocked in their store in the 'burbs of New York City. The same goes for Dress Barn. In fact, DB was the one to tell me this and I found it to be true.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I've also noted that for us slim European gents with no beer gut and no big fat ass, lots of pants and shirts have shall we say, extra material.
You mean there are a few of your type left in European?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to wear dresses quite a lot when I lived in the UK (M&S, Wallis, Next) but haven't really found an equivalent in 14 years. I find here most of the dresses are more for business dress ie not as casual as the ones I used to wear...thus the expense. They are usually made of much thicker fabric and are dry clean only and I hate buying clothes that need dry cleaning all the time.

I can't say I've ever found any of the cheaper dresses to my liking...they either don't fit properly, I don't like the style etc.

I quickly started to wear tees and shorts/capris.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Personally I found Coldwater Creek expensive and the clothing does not wear well at all.
I had the same experience, their Tees lost shape, pilled and faded so fast
I replaced them while I was on holiday with Mark and Spencers, this year I just ordered tees from Marks and spencers and had my Mom bring them. Summers are so long I wear out the summer stuff annually.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've noted that a lot of clothing stores are very specific to build and demographic so if you want a specific size range you have to be in the right shop or you will be disappointed, e.g. Lane Bryant for the fuller figure.

I've also noted that for us slim European gents with no beer gut and no big fat ass, lots of pants and shirts have shall we say, extra material.
Ds#1 has this problem too, the shirts in his size are too baggy around the middle he hates US shirts even slims don't fit right. He loves to shop in UK for mens clothes.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:35 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

JC Penney, Target and Kohls all do really good markdowns when they have sales on.

I've seen summery "floaty" dresses in all of them.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ds#1 has this problem too, the shirts in his size are too baggy around the middle he hates US shirts even slims don't fit right. He loves to shop in UK for mens clothes.
My husband has the a similar problem with trousers...US ones are always too baggy around the butt and thigh. He gets them in the UK. I find UK trousers fit me better too.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

pfft. My wife is always complaining that the seat of jeans just don't look right on me. I have quite long arms so to get a good fit on a shirt means a tent like feeling sometimes. Shrug, I dunno I hate clothes shopping.

Thankfully not an issue for my Levi-wearing husband. His butt fits just fine in his jeans. It was the UK crap that never fit him right. We used to go shopping whenever we would come over to the US on holiday..... Dockers and shirts for the office and plenty of Levis for casual. Of course with the exchange rate we were always getting a fantastic bargain.

And he hates clothes shopping as well....
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:56 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

I love Monsoon too, here I shop in White House Black Market, Bebe, Banana Republic and I quite like the INC section in Macy's (Bloomingdales also stocks INC).

If you do order from Monsoon, they're really quick, recently I ordered on a Monday afternoon and received my order on the Friday and they charged me 10GBP for 3 items.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

I love Buckle stores in the US! I make a point to head to one every time i'm over. their website is good too... http://www.buckle.com/
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've noted that a lot of clothing stores are very specific to build and demographic so if you want a specific size range you have to be in the right shop or you will be disappointed, e.g. Lane Bryant for the fuller figure.

Most of the department stores in the states have trousers starting at 32" waist, which is too large for me, and I'm not exactly a midget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.