Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy the following items in the US?

Where can I buy the following items in the US?

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I buy the following items in the US?

Originally Posted by ILM
You cannot be serious, I live in zipcode 14105 in Niagra County, in the middle of no where lol and the local stres are just that local lol

ILM
Ah New York State...that explains it. Nip over the border into Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:59 am
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ah New York State...that explains it. Nip over the border into Canada.

you know that sounds like a plan, when I took my son back to a canadian airport we stopped and had a full breakfast, OMG the Canadians know how to make it lol.the best in over a year lol

ILM
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILM
you know that sounds like a plan, when I took my son back to a canadian airport we stopped and had a full breakfast, OMG the Canadians know how to make it lol.the best in over a year lol

ILM
Loads of Cadbury's choc at the duty free in Niagara and Buffalo.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:07 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Loads of Cadbury's choc at the duty free in Niagara and Buffalo.
Thats it i'm going over the border THANKS
ILM
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:38 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
How about making your own, that way you'll get the taste you want
I make my own Indian food. We have quite a few Indian grocers near us and I can usually get all the ingredients. We had a really good one in Liverpool and I miss that but we've managed.

Trader Joes naan bread is lovely.
I can get Pataks stuff at some of the local supermarkets.

Bedding...as everyone has said..Bed, Bath and Beyond is good and they send you those money off vouchers.

We brought loads of stuff over in our container...Tea bags, marmite, spices, baked beans, crisps, chocolate etc. So much that we are only now getting to the end of the non perishable stuff.

It is nice to be able to have a curry but there's lots of new things to try here.
I make nearly everything from scratch and now use mostly US recipe books.

It was nice at first to have comfort food from home but eventually it didn't bother me as much.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:55 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris

It is nice to be able to have a curry but there's lots of new things to try here.
I make nearly everything from scratch and now use mostly US recipe books.

It was nice at first to have comfort food from home but eventually it didn't bother me as much.
i picked up the Indian Housewifes Recipe Book when I was in England, used to have it and mislaid it.

Really easy authentic recipes you only generally need the basic spices that are available in most places particularly health food stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Housewi.../dp/0716020785
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ahh...excellent... so as has been intimated it should be much easier to find bedding of that size.

It's really difficult to find that size bedding in the UK (without ordering it specially).

Thanks all for the answers so far!
Check the sizes !!! KIng size duvets from the UK are not the same size as US ones can't quite remember which way round it is but I think the covers and duvets are slightly smaller than UK ones of equivilent size and therefore if you try to put the 2 together it does not work so well. We decided to invest is new superking and covers beofre leaving UK to avoid this but are now having similar problems with duvets etc for single beds.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Schwartz mixes... if you want it bad enough and are willing to pay.

http://www.britishfooddirect.com/ind...cturers_id=139
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:11 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
i picked up the Indian Housewifes Recipe Book when I was in England, used to have it and mislaid it.

Really easy authentic recipes you only generally need the basic spices that are available in most places particularly health food stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Housewi.../dp/0716020785
I've got that one.
I like "Cooking like Mumji" can't remember who it's by.

I make the recipes up as I go along sometimes.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BritishGuy36;6105493]Ok. So some things that we would really like to be able to find a regular supplier for in the US.

If anyone knows which Southern OH/Eastern KY I can get any of these things, I'd be grateful.

1) Schwartz gravy mixes
What is known as Schwartz in the UK is known as McCormick in the US. The packaging is identical. So, maybe McCormick have something in their range that fits your bill. It might have a different name. BTW, making gravy is actually very easy.

2) Asda curry base mixes (I know Wal.Mart is the only chance for this, has anyone looked for them?) - I know there are others but we're kinda brand-addicted....
You can pretty much forget about buying Asda products unless Wallyworld sells them. If Wallyworld doesn't, your nearest Indian grocery store is your friend. They usually sell Patak's as well as Indian branded curry mixes.

3) PG Tips pyramid teabags (I remember reading a post about this a while back but can't find it!)
If you don't have an Indian grocery store near you, World Market may sell the PG Tips bags. They might not be the pyramid type but the tea should taste the same.

4) An electric kettle (target?)
Target, Linen 'n Things and similar stores will sell an electric kettle.

<<snip>>
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:56 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

You should find them with the regular tea...they are in a blue box. If you have a Stop N Shop, Wegmans or ShopRite nearby they will probably stock them.
Yep, I get them from Stop n Shop in amongst the regular tea.... I think I get the British Blend (as opposed to the classic blend they sometimes have).
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:58 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok. So some things that we would really like to be able to find a regular supplier for in the US.

If anyone knows which Southern OH/Eastern KY I can get any of these things, I'd be grateful.

1) Schwartz gravy mixes
2) Asda curry base mixes (I know Wal.Mart is the only chance for this, has anyone looked for them?) - I know there are others but we're kinda brand-addicted....
3) PG Tips pyramid teabags (I remember reading a post about this a while back but can't find it!)
4) An electric kettle (target?)
5) Duvets (missus says she's never seen any for sale there - I'm skeptical!)
6) Super-King sized bedding (6ft wide bed)
7) Fosters Lager

I'm sure I will think of more later!

TIA
I have this kettle and I love it! :

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-WK600-Im.../dp/B00020R0W4
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
PG Tips is pretty cheap on Amazon, two 250 count boxes for $20...
Did you subscribe? I can't possibly drink enough (hot) tea to subscribe (because I don't when it's hot, and I've never tried icing PG tips, too damned expensive!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips
Yep, I get them from Stop n Shop in amongst the regular tea.... I think I get the British Blend (as opposed to the classic blend they sometimes have).
I get them at the local Wallyworld. It's about the only thing I can get that reminds me of home in this area, other than Cadburys at Target.

I'm getting worried as I'm not sure if my Marmite supplies will last until I'm next home.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I'm getting worried as I'm not sure if my Marmite supplies will last until I'm next home.
If you get really desperate you can mail order it. I see it in many, many stores here. If you're on your last dime and are down to dry toast, PM me and I'll sort something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.