Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The Top Gear comparison, which Pulaski referenced, was done on a track with both the Prius and the M3 being driven as hard as possible for the duration of the test. So, while the M3 won out and while the point being made was that it isn't always the engine you have, it's also how you drive the car that can affect efficiency; it's not really one that's 100% applicable in the real world.

The hybrid burning past at 80 will suffer a drop in mpg during the acceleration, but at cruise, the hybrid will perform better.
And I know my 0-60 of 7s isn't as quick as a M3, but it far quicker than most of the SUV drivers around here and quick enough for me. The 0-30 using electric and gas is probably almost as quick.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when you were moving to the US, what did you wish you'd known about?

The Top Gear comparison, which Pulaski referenced, was done on a track with both the Prius and the M3 being driven as hard as possible for the duration of the test. So, while the M3 won out and while the point being made was that it isn't always the engine you have, it's also how you drive the car that can affect efficiency; it's not really one that's 100% applicable in the real world.

The hybrid burning past at 80 will suffer a drop in mpg during the acceleration, but at cruise, the hybrid will perform better.
I think that used the 1.5l Prius. I think that was the episode I was in the crowd for. I managed to get free tickets to top gear.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
And I know my 0-60 of 7s isn't as quick as a M3, but it far quicker than most of the SUV drivers around here and quick enough for me. The 0-30 using electric and gas is probably almost as quick.
If it falls into the 0-60 range of any smallish sedan it is doing its job. I didn't buy my car because it goes fast, I bought it because it was what I can afford and it's reasonably cheap to run.

If money was no object though, I'd the M3 (well, M5) every time

I think that used the 1.5l Prius. I think that was the episode I was in the crowd for. I managed to get free tickets to top gear.
It probably was the 1.5. That's cool that you were there though.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's cool that you were there though.
All we got to see in the filming was the inside of a hanger. It was great fun though.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

All we got to see in the filming was the inside of a hanger. It was great fun though.
You get to hear all the arsing about that doesn't make it to the show because they mess something up, or it's a bit too rude.

Or that ends up heavily edited because James is so much smarter than the other two and that's against the brand ID