Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

best app for 3-4yr old

best app for 3-4yr old

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default best app for 3-4yr old

I had my grand-daughter over last weekend and she spied my tablet asking if she could play on it. I downloaded a couple of free apps that seem appropriate. They seemed OK but I was hoping that someone with young kids could give me ideas for other apps for when she is around again. She is fairly bright as she can count up to 20, knows her abc's and recognises some words when they are written down. However, she definitely has a low attention span and tends to bounce from one thing to another in matter of minutes. So when she sat for more than an 30 mins doing puzzles on the tablet I thought it might be worth encouraging this. It was nice to have a calm 3 yr old at the dining table rather than the normal erratic, bouncing off the walls child we normally see. She still didn't eat much Knows it a good battle ground with the adults. Hopefully she will be back to eating everything as she did as a baby in the next couple of years.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best app for 3-4yr old

Originally Posted by jjmb
I had my grand-daughter over last weekend and she spied my tablet asking if she could play on it. I downloaded a couple of free apps that seem appropriate. They seemed OK but I was hoping that someone with young kids could give me ideas for other apps for when she is around again. She is fairly bright as she can count up to 20, knows her abc's and recognises some words when they are written down. However, she definitely has a low attention span and tends to bounce from one thing to another in matter of minutes. So when she sat for more than an 30 mins doing puzzles on the tablet I thought it might be worth encouraging this. ......
I wouldn't encourage screen time of any sort for a three year old. All screens are addictive and within a few years you're going to need a crowbar to separate her from a phone or tablet. Enjoy this time before she gets totally hooked on screens. ..... Try something creative and/or that helps develop dexterity.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with you and we do play with play doh, paint and craft plus play outside (her favourite activity). This would be just for half an hour at the most and mostly to get her settled. Disney movies seem to be other way but they are reserved for bedtime movies most of the time. The games I was playing with her were number, letter and puzzle based, not shoot them up types.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My soon to be 7 year old is on her phone constantly. And I mean constantly. My 11 month old has grabbed my phone a couple of times as has already grasped the concept of swiping the screen and can activate Siri. Scary.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, agree its the slippery slope. At the moment, I can't see her Mum buying a phone for her as she resents paying so much for her own phone but its fact of life that technology is part of their lives. I will admit I bought all the new fangled electronic gadgets when my kids were young and in my eldest daughter case, that was 30 yrs ago. Vtech was just coming to the fore then and we thought they were brilliant as did the kids.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I hate how much my 3 year old loves the tablet. He can sit there for ages just watching train videos on youtube. Or watching kids shows on the Pbs kids app. There are some more educational apps we have endless alphabet and endless reader aka the monster game but they really get you with the add one because the first few letters are free then you have to buy the rest of the alphabet.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly, they're shit for that age. Still, they're handing baby sitting tools to keep them occupied when you've got something to do but limit the screen time to short periods or they'll just get annoying quickly.

Still, Brush and Smudge, is a fun kids colouring app, often comes around free.

Human Body - Often free, quite fun.

ABC Mouse- This is a subscription, but quite good for doing puzzles and letters.

ABC Alphabets - Free app for you guessed it, the alphabet.

Toca apps, you can't go wrong with their games, really nice for little kids and usually found free now and again.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 year old is on level 7 of the driving game that comes with the Amazon fire stick. He does better than me.

the toca boca games seem to hold his interest.
abcmouse.com

he much rather play in the dirt than play on the tablet. It's good for rainy days.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
My soon to be 7 year old is on her phone constantly. And I mean constantly. My 11 month old has grabbed my phone a couple of times as has already grasped the concept of swiping the screen and can activate Siri. Scary.
A real phone?
Old Oct 24th 2015, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A real phone?
hope its a kurio phone
Old Oct 24th 2015, 3:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A real phone? ......
Little Miss P does not have a phone. She is 8½. We have no intention of buying her a phone for at least a couple of years.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

A real phone?
Wife's old phone, yep. Not activated for calls or data, but it works on wifi. Wife's decision.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

These devices are quite clearly Satanic in origin.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I say 'Minecraft'.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 2:35 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pete H
Dare I say 'Minecraft'.
Rather than full mine "Minecraft" which is rated 10+
There is pocket "Minecraft" for the iPad which is rated 4+
However expect to lose all communication with your child as they disappear somewhere to play undisturbed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.