Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When a holiday isn't a holiday

When a holiday isn't a holiday

Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When a holiday isn't a holiday

If your wife doesn't work, then could she go on her own with the children, if it's the In-laws that are the ones you have to see?
My OH and I never go to the UK together, that way when we do go, we spend quality time with who we want to see. I fly on a Friday night and back in 8 days later on a Sunday, so only one work week. My idea of holiday fun is NOT a Man City football match.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Must admit that surprises me a bit. I've been there a few times and yes it's nice enough to visit... for a few days at a time but kind of been there and done that now. Colleagues at work used to hate it because they'd be holed up for months there working on the metro rail system.
Most people were passing through on their way to somewhere, Australia or wherever, rather than specifically just to visit us, but we also had quite a lot that would come for 3 weeks, and take a few short trips from there - up to Thailand, down to Indonesia, over to East Malaysia or wherever. It was perfect for that. It also made the visits easy on us, because people would be in and out. We were back there for 10 days last year, and we're going again this year for another 10 days - will probably take a side trip to Indonesia for 3-4 days, but there is just so much to do in Singapore, that we may skip that. As a place to live, I dont think I will ever recapture the standard of living I had there, and, if cash were no problem, I would move back there over any other city I've ever visited.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WJS
I personally believe that if you are the one that has left and moved to another country, it is your responsibility to visit family particularly parents. It certainly isn't their responsibility to bear the expense and make the difficult long journey because you have decided to leave! For me, I would never have expectations or place that responsibility on my parents.
If mine visit too often, I'll move further, but 5500 miles seems to have done the trick for now.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Most people were passing through on their way to somewhere, Australia or wherever, rather than specifically just to visit us, but we also had quite a lot that would come for 3 weeks, and take a few short trips from there - up to Thailand, down to Indonesia, over to East Malaysia or wherever. It was perfect for that. It also made the visits easy on us, because people would be in and out.
We used to get this a lot when we lived in Switzerland; people would stay, but be in and out touring locally and traveling around Europe on the trains. You're right, it's so much easier than people cluttering up the house all day, expecting to be 'entertained'.

Here in the US, my mum and stepdad are excellent - they borrow my car, and take themselves off for day trips and mini breaks. My dad and stepmum, however, don't like to drive in the US and we don't live anywhere with public transport. So they're a little harder work as visitors, as they need chaperoning/ taxi-ing everywhere, which can be challenging when people are staying for several weeks rather than just a few days, and you still have to live your normal work/ school daily life.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
8k? How many are there of you.?
5 of us - Dallas to UK. best we can see right now is just under 8k. and that doesnt include hotels, car hire or anything other than airfare.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never paid anything like that much from Denver.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
5 of us - Dallas to UK. best we can see right now is just under 8k. and that doesnt include hotels, car hire or anything other than airfare.
We're about the same for Houston-Amsterdam-Teesside. Was out with a mate last week who reckoned he'd just got stuck for almost 2k/person for Houston- London on tight dates for June. Ouch.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Never paid anything like that much from Denver.
Quick look at travelocity for Denver-London mid week early June cheapest is $1400. Ok, digging around, booking at the right time, may get it down, but it's not a million miles off...

ETA just checking cos we have some $39 return tickets to Denver, so could have been a (very roundabout) option. Plus, Colorado is one of my picks for later on in life, versus wife's Florida!

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Apr 28th 2015 at 4:38 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
I agree, two times a year from the US to the UK is a lot!

I was really replying to a few posts that mentioned parents never coming to visit. It is very expensive to fly from the US to the UK and vice versa and it must be difficult for many to even go every few years. But at the same time I cannot imagine feeling that my parents must come to visit me if it was my choice to move. It would be me that should in my opinion make the effort. That's all I was trying to say. Canveydave goes above and beyond!
Yes, I made the decision to move to the US. However, me saying my parents never visit me here is not me being irritated and expecting them to come to me and me not go over there. 1. I cannot afford the flights to go with my kids on a regular basis. 2. My parents never visited me when I moved from Scotland to England so I had no expectations of them visiting me here in the US. My dad only came to visit once and that was for my wedding. My mum visited twice. Once was because it was on the way home from a Meatloaf concert she had been to in Nottingham. If I ever wanted to see my parents I needed to go to them. That included when I had my kids. If I wanted my parents to see their grandchildren I had to go to them. It would not matter where I lived. I would need to make the effort to go to them. I need to be the one to initiate contact with them. It has been that way since I turned 18 and first left Edinburgh, and I am almost 40. My brother may visit me in a few years when his kids are older but I will never see my parents here. They won't do it partly because of the expense and partly because they can't be bothered.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Yes, I made the decision to move to the US. However, me saying my parents never visit me here is not me being irritated and expecting them to come to me and me not go over there. 1. I cannot afford the flights to go with my kids on a regular basis. 2. My parents never visited me when I moved from Scotland to England so I had no expectations of them visiting me here in the US. My dad only came to visit once and that was for my wedding. My mum visited twice. Once was because it was on the way home from a Meatloaf concert she had been to in Nottingham. If I ever wanted to see my parents I needed to go to them. That included when I had my kids. If I wanted my parents to see their grandchildren I had to go to them. It would not matter where I lived. I would need to make the effort to go to them. I need to be the one to initiate contact with them. It has been that way since I turned 18 and first left Edinburgh, and I am almost 40. My brother may visit me in a few years when his kids are older but I will never see my parents here. They won't do it partly because of the expense and partly because they can't be bothered.
Sounds like my family. Unless I call or email or whatever first, nobody in the family ever makes contact with me. I could vanish and who knows how long it would take them to figure out I was gone.

I've had family visit 3 times in the 10 years, I have been in Canada. Dad came twice and mom once, and that was about 10 years ago.

I go for a visit every few years, but if we had kids, they would likely never see the California family, the cost to take more then 2 humans would be too great.

I cannot even imagine having to pay for trips to the UK and the cost involved.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:16 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We're about the same for Houston-Amsterdam-Teesside. Was out with a mate last week who reckoned he'd just got stuck for almost 2k/person for Houston- London on tight dates for June. Ouch.
Yep, you seldom get a deal on Houston - UK, and I'm past doing 4 connections to save $100. The most frustrating are the relatives who can't come because flights to Houston are too expensive then ask in the same breath when we will be home this year
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yep, you seldom get a deal on Houston - UK, and I'm past doing 4 connections to save $100.
We've just booked this summers trip out to Japan, Singapore, Taiwan near enough 26 hours flight time each way - total incl taxes $1300, $1100 for my 10 yo. That is an open jaw on UAL into Singapore and out of Taiwan, and a one-way Sing -Taipei, both of which I normally expect to be more expensive than regular round trip flights. For the same dates, Travelocity currently showing $1400 for the 10 hour flight IAH - London. I know you can't compare them like that, but still, makes our $/mile look good for Asia!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:57 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
That is very sad and I don't blame you. It sounds like the relationship I have with my brother. After many years chasing him and contacting him I finally decided enough. I never hear from him at all and have no contact at all with him so totally sympathise with your situation.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, I have had ideas to go to California National Parks for about five years and the idea has been put on the back burner again because I'm going to the UK this year.

However my parents are now getting into their late 70's and it's easier for me to go there than for them to visit me. Yosemite will likely be around in 10 or 20 years but I'm not sure my parents will.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:57 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am going back in August. My sis and her family at the same time from Europe. Dad thinks we are all going to kip at his house - 2 bedrooms, a family of 4 and me and him for 2 weeks. Not looking forward to that living arrangement. Hotel might be on the cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.