Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What odd things have you started doing since moving here?

What odd things have you started doing since moving here?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What odd things have you started doing since moving here?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Something about it getting caught in the chain (leg hair that is) .....
Is your son an ape?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Jam jars, ketchup, well all the condiments going in the fridge. I don't remember doing that in the UK...anyone else do the same? Why?

Oh and ziplock bags over here, saving the clean ones that veg were put in, to seal up off cuts of meat before chucking those in the bin to help reduce the smell. We don't have rubbish pick up and don't fill a big bin weekly so takes a few weeks to make a dump run worth it.

No ugly net curtains to keep the weirdo's from prying either...but then we keep the curtains closed in the living room to keep the place cooler anyway so not needed...plus ugly, Venetian blinds that are everywhere.

Oh and a garage never being used to store a car, but for all kinds of crap, made worse when moving garden stuff in over winter
All of the above. ..... But collecting tools and equipment generally has taken more room than I would ever imaged possible. I believe I have nine functioning appliances than have petrol engines (three mowers, a generator, a chipper, a tiller, a chain saw, a blower, and a strimmer), plus another mower that I intend to get a new engine for, and a hand-held blower plus two strimmers that are non functioning but I haven't bothered to get them down from the rafters in the shed.

Then I have three "full size" tool boxes of various hand tools, plus a 12" mitre saw, small table(top) saw, a sander, a drill press, and a hand held wood plane, a drill, a deck screwdriver, and a plasterboard screwdriver. Then I have a compressor and finish nailer, a staple gun, and a flooring nailer. Then I have a bunch of garden tools: two garden rakes, two leaf rakes, two forks, a square-edge spade, 3-4 long handled American spades, two square shovels, a pick axe, a full size axe, a ditch hook (a giant billhook on a long handle), a ditch (very narrow) spade, a hand tamper, five bow saws, and perhaps my favourite the "garden dragon" (a propane weed burner).

Pretty much all of the above are either used regularly, and/or were purchased for one or more specific tasks when they more than paid for themselves, in time or contractors' fees saved. Still they take up a good amount of room.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2014 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All of the above. ..... But collecting tools and equipment generally has taken more room than I would ever imaged possible. I believe I have nine functioning appliances than have petrol engines (three mowers, a generator, a chipper, a tiller, a chain saw, a blower, and a strimmer), plus another mower that I intend to get a new engine for, and a hand-held blower plus two strimmers that are non functioning but I haven't bothered to get them down from the rafters in the shed.

Then I have three "full size" tool boxes of various hand tools, plus a 12" mitre saw, small table(top) saw, a sander, a drill press, and a hand held wood plane, a drill, a deck screwdriver, and a plasterboard screwdriver. Then I have a compressor and finish nailer, a staple gun, and a flooring nailer. Then I have a bunch of garden tools two garden rakes, two leaf rakes, two forks, a square-edge spade, 3-4 long handled American spades, two square shovels, a pick axe, a full size axe, a ditch hook (a giant billhook on a long handle), a ditch (very narrow) spade, a hand tamper, five bow saws, and perhaps my favourite the "garden dragon" (a propane weed burner).

Pretty much all of the above are either used regularly, and/or were purchased for one or more specific tasks when they more than paid for themselves, in time or contractors' fees saved. Still they take up a good amount of room.

Add in a manual hardwood floor nailer, an electric hardwood floor nailer and a compressor and I'd swear you were my husband.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Add in a manual hardwood floor nailer, an electric hardwood floor nailer and a compressor and I'd swear you were my husband.

You missed the compressor, it's in there, ahead of the air tools. .... I could find nothing to recommend a manual or electric floor nailer, so I went straight for the pneumatic one.

I also missed out the angle grinder and the router I have, and two pairs of PEX plumbing crimps, a blow torch, and two pairs of bolt cutters. And two cat/racoon sized live traps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2014 at 6:47 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

"What odd things have you started doing since moving here?"

Drinking watery american lite beer. Daily.

As per Pulaski - I have a large collection of gasoline powered machines.

Not taking 28 days paid holiday a year
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You missed the compressor, it's in there, ahead of the air tools. .... I could find nothing to recommend a manual or electric floor nailer, so I went straight for the pneumatic one.

I also missed out the angle grinder I have, and two pairs of PEX plumbing crimps, a blow torch, and two pairs of bolt cutters.
What can I say...I get bored reading about tools so I just glossed over it.

My bad...yes it was a pneumatic floor nailer...but what do I know? I bet your favourite haunts are stores such as Home Depot and Lowes.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Saying "Near London" when people ask what part of the UK I'm from as I know almost none of them have a clue.
Yep, do that too.
Originally Posted by Bob
Oh and ziplock bags over here,
I thought that was just my wife! She ****** zip locks everything!! And makes me do the same!

Last edited by markonline1; Jul 18th 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:57 pm

What can I say...I get bored reading about tools so I just glossed over it.

My bad...yes it was a pneumatic floor nailer...but what do I know? I bet your favourite haunts are stores such as Home Depot and Lowes.
We don't have many Home Depots round here, but it is a rare week when I don't go into Lowes at least once; two or three times a week is normal. Last week I went into seven different Lowes, three of them twice. This week I have only been into three different Lowes, so far, and only one of them twice, but there's still this evening and tomorrow.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2014 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
"What odd things have you started doing since moving here?"

Drinking watery american lite beer. Daily.

Not taking 28 days paid holiday a year
You know, they do sell other beers besides Coors and Budweiser... Have you looked further than your nose?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You know, they do sell other beers besides Coors and Budweiser... Have you looked further than your nose?
It's getting a bit silly over here. I was reading just a few weeks ago that there are now over 120 craft breweries. ..... In North Carolina!

On that basis, nationwide there must surely be well over 1,000?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They are cheaper though....unless you're a hipster, then Pabst is starting to get expensive again
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
My husband too--I swear that's got to be the thing he likes best about this country, the way his tool collection(s) have mushroomed and now include big powerfully-engined items he'd never have been able to fit in our tiny garage in England ....
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting a bit silly over here. I was reading just a few weeks ago that there are now over 120 craft breweries. ..... In North Carolina!

When I go off to the grocery store, there are no less than two aisles for beers, domestic and imported. My husband has very specific tastes for beers and he will tell me what he wants, but I'm lost! I tell him to give me names and I'll do my best.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ice House?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

120 craft breweries but how many decent brews between them though? Half of it wouldn't even pass for cough mixture in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.