Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by mrken30
Probably quite easily , space wasn't taken up with toasters, coffee makers, microwaves and other gadgets.
The most sophisticated gadget in our house was a tin opener.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 11:20 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The clothes closets in our new home are the same size as two of the bedrooms in our old house and one of the bathrooms has a bidet which the previous owner had installed.

My wife asked "What on earth is that" ?

I told her it was a foot bath
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Which is plain stupid because this is not the early 18th century and people these days are not going to rise up en masse against the government,
The whole idea of allowing citizenry to bear arms was to have a ready made army available in case of invasion..

If the Founding Fathers could have seen what the "right to bear arms" has become they would I think have torn up the Second Amendment and flushed it down the pot.
The Founders didn't want a standing army, they wanted state militia's. How do you have state militias with a disarmed populace? As for the mass shootings this is the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
How do you have state militias with a disarmed populace?
The state issues the members of the militia with weapons as and when needed?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 7:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The Founders didn't want a standing army, they wanted state militia's. How do you have state militias with a disarmed populace? As for the mass shootings this is the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra
Mind you, a fair few opinions and practices of the "Founders" have been discarded over the last 200+ years, slavery being just one example. The world has changed a bit since the 18th century.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:37 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Mind you, a fair few opinions and practices of the "Founders" have been discarded over the last 200+ years, slavery being just one example. The world has changed a bit since the 18th century.
Laws must change, not just opinions.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Laws aren't going to change until there's a will to change them though. Obviously.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The constitution says "well regulated militia. A bunch of fat guys milling around with their AR-15's is a far cry from that. Think army reserve, navy reserve etc. I get into conversations with a lot of militia types and they have this irrational vision of being the future savior of the country.
The govt they are so afraid of is a bunch of pudgy white guys in DC who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Now if it's the US military they expect to fight, then good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:37 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The state issues the members of the militia with weapons as and when needed?
In the days of the Founding Fathers members of the militia kept their own weapons. It was for a good reason, not just the fear of an invasion from Canada but to hunt for food and use against hostile Indians.
I wasn't talking about present day militias.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
In some parts ot the country the law against owing firearms could well change in years to come. In other parts of the country it will never happen.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

if only people were as willing to spend as much money on healthcare as the do on arms, it would be a different world
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Another culture shock (although I don't know if it is just my Mrs and her family!) is that a kettle isn't used to boil water.

She boils water in a pan and waits a good 10 minutes rather than using the electric kettle that I bought her a few years ago.

Cannot for the life of me understand why.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Another culture shock (although I don't know if it is just my Mrs and her family!) is that a kettle isn't used to boil water.

She boils water in a pan and waits a good 10 minutes rather than using the electric kettle that I bought her a few years ago.

The American motto is work harder not smarter, hence taking 10 minutes to do the job makes it seem like you have worked harder. I am assuming your wife is a born and bred USC.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

Nope, it's not just your missus, I think it's a Southern thing. The leccy kettle is only used for my ubiquitous British cuppa, sweet tea is still boiled up in a tiny saucepan and it does my nut in.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The American motto is work harder not smarter, hence taking 10 minutes to do the job makes it seem like you have worked harder. I am assuming your wife is a born and bred USC.
Originally Posted by zzrmark
Nope, it's not just your missus, I think it's a Southern thing. The leccy kettle is only used for my ubiquitous British cuppa, sweet tea is still boiled up in a tiny saucepan and it does my nut in.
Haha, fair enough.

Although if i'm making sweet tea i'll use a pan of some variety so that I can add sugar as its coming to a boil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.