Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider

What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider

Old Jun 10th 2022, 1:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider

Originally Posted by baggy1971
If you were born in the UK but died in the US....I'd say you're a definite successful expat. If you don't.....then maybe you're not.

Not sure why you would think this. Many ex-pats will die in the US, even though they would love to be in their country of origin, for the simple reason that the US is where their children and grandchildren live. And many people who have had happy lives as ex-pats will take pleasure in retiring to their home country.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

baggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Not sure why you would think this. Many ex-pats will die in the US, even though they would love to be in their country of origin, for the simple reason that the US is where their children and grandchildren live. And many people who have had happy lives as ex-pats will take pleasure in retiring to their home country.
True. I suppose there are a large number of people that move overseas only to do a fixed term in another country (maybe the length of a work visas validity). By that measure, they successfully achieved what they set out to do. Don't know if you'd consider them successful expats though.....maybe they are....not sure.

Last edited by baggy1971; Jun 10th 2022 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:24 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise is was a competition. I am a happy ex-pat who came as a trailing spouse and although one of my children and my grandchildren and my mother are in the UK and I miss seeing them as frequently as I might have done and enjoy my visits there this is currently home. In the future that may change just as people choose to move to different places within the UK due to jobs or retirement - does that make them failed at living in their previous homes?
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

baggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I didn't realise is was a competition. I am a happy ex-pat who came as a trailing spouse and although one of my children and my grandchildren and my mother are in the UK and I miss seeing them as frequently as I might have done and enjoy my visits there this is currently home. In the future that may change just as people choose to move to different places within the UK due to jobs or retirement - does that make them failed at living in their previous homes?

You're right. We're debating a definition that really doesn't mean much. Like I've said before, it means different things to different people because of differing circumstances. There's no pass/fail criteria.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggy1971
True. I suppose there are a large number of people that move overseas only to do a fixed term in another country (maybe the length of a work visas validity). By that measure, they successfully achieved what they set out to do. Don't know if you'd consider them successful expats though.....maybe they are....not sure.
I'm not talking about people on short-term secondments. Many people will spend decades in the US, living happy lives, and then decide to spend their retirement in the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about people on short-term secondments. Many people will spend decades in the US, living happy lives, and then decide to spend their retirement in the UK.
With the cost of health care in the US I don't blame them!
Old Jun 10th 2022, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Have you ever lived in the US?
Old Jun 10th 2022, 3:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I arrived as a visa holder in 83, became a PR circa 85, but didn't bother becoming a USC until 2008. For me, the big deal was getting the PR. Until then, I was tied to the one company that sponsored me and I felt like I had little financial security. Once I got the PR, I bought a house (ie, got a mortgage), and later changed jobs, and felt like a regular native. Becoming a USC was a minor step in comparison; sure, I could join the army, or work for a defence contractor - whoop-te-do. And of course I could vote (and I'll admit to being symbolically pleased to be able to vote for Obama!), but really, nothing changed. The only real benefit of being a USC is that I clear customs faster when I travel, but I never had any delays as a PR.

I was ecstatic about being here by the end of my first month; my job was fantastic, the pay was great, my co-workers were upbeat, I found a wonderful apartment overlooking the ocean in SF, I was eating the best food I'd ever discovered, and the sky was blue every day. Only as I got much, much older did some of the downsides, like health insurance, become apparent; but on balance, I wouldn't change it for anything.

The biggest factor in being happy here, it seems to me, is whether you really wanted to be here in the first place. The people who are most unhappy here tend to be the 'reluctant spouses' who came with their partners, or those that came here for marriage (but not for the country).
Ever been called for jury duty? (BTW, at least in California, juror summons are no longer generated from voter registrations. So for those not yet AmCits, make sure to claim exemption as a non-citizen).
Old Jun 10th 2022, 4:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Actually, the quality and the speed of scheduling of health care here is a reason why I am somewhat loath to return to the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the quality and the speed of scheduling of health care here is a reason why I am somewhat loath to return to the UK.
Sure, but I mentioned cost! Now living in Hungary we have just found out that the quality, speed & (lack of) cost beat both US & UK! Who'd have thought it!
Old Jun 10th 2022, 6:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Sure, but I mentioned cost! Now living in Hungary we have just found out that the quality, speed & (lack of) cost beat both US & UK! Who'd have thought it!

The care I receive in the US is worth every penny of my carefully chosen insurance.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 6:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The care I receive in the US is worth every penny of my carefully chosen insurance.
Yes, people, especially those with no direct experience of the US healthcare system, seem more than happy to believe the "horror stories" over actual experience of those who live and work in the US.

From my perspective the cost of health insurance through my employer is negative compared to the UK, because when I moved here I found that my taxes went down by more than the cost of health insurance. A few years later we switched to high deductible insurance which allowed us to divert a lot of what we had being paying in insurance and keeping it for ourselves in tax-free Health Savings Accounts.

Obviously not everyone has the same health insurance or makes the same choices, but we are very well insured, have access to excellent healthcare, have zero out-of-pocket cost beyond the modest cost of insurance (about $250/mth for the family IIRC, or maybe a little less) as we can use money from our HSAs, and after more than a decade our aggregate HSA balances are quite substantial.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2022 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, people, especially those with no direct experience of the US healthcare system, seem more than happy to believe the "horror stories" over actual experience of those who live and work in the US.

From my perspective the cost of health insurance through my employer is negative compared to the UK, because when I moved here I found that my taxes went down by more than the cost of health insurance. A few years later we switched to high deductible insurance which allowed us to divert a lot of what we had being paying in insurance and keeping it for ourselves in tax-free Health Savings Accounts.

Obviously not everyone has the same health insurance or makes the same choices, but we are very well insured, have access to excellent healthcare, have zero out-of-pocket cost beyond the modest cost of insurance (about $250/mth for the family IIRC, or maybe a little less) as we can use money from our HSAs, and after more than a decade our aggregate HSA balances are quite substantial.
Jolly good, carry on!
Old Jun 10th 2022, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

US healthcare is great…if you have good insurance, can afford the premiums and co-pays.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Ever been called for jury duty? (BTW, at least in California, juror summons are no longer generated from voter registrations. So for those not yet AmCits, make sure to claim exemption as a non-citizen).
Ah ha! I'd forgotten about jury duty as a negative aspect of becoming a US Citizen. Yes, I've been summoned a few times, but so far have not had to actually serve. At least now I'm retired so it won't have as big an impact. This is one reason I never bothered applying for US Citizenship from 1985 to 2008; I really didn't see any benefit. I finally got a bit worried that a 'Trump-like' administration could come into power and decide to make it less attractive for non-citizens, so I went ahead and got it.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
US healthcare is great…if you have good insurance, can afford the premiums and co-pays.
I have to agree with this. My current situation is somewhat precarious - just under 65 years of age, paying a LOT for not-so-great insurance, but I'm still capped out at around $15k worst-case for the year, which I can afford. Once I reach 65 and go on medicare, I'm expecing my max exposure to be a lot less. My g/f (already on medicare) has recently had an emergency apendectomy, retinal surgery, and cataract surgery, and has had to pay very little for the experience, and the care was beyond our wildest expectations. The ACA (Affordable Care Act) also took a lot of the rougher edges off the US healthcare system, despite its flaws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.