British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-all-considering-becoming-expats-should-consider-944142/)

Jack_Russells4ever May 27th 2022 12:50 pm

What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider

What all considering becoming expats should consider.

Their is a high likelyhood that your expat adventure will fail in less than 12 months because of unreasonable expectations. Wanting things to be exactly as they are back home. Missing our family and friends, familiar foods, possible language barriers, expecting people to think like we do, People all over the planet have unique customs ,values and beliefs that sometimes we may not agree with. We should remember that we are guest in our new place of abode and that it is not a good idea to express our views about controversial subjects to the locals . Before considering relocation as an expat do your homework before making a move because moving to a country that does not share your viewpoint will likely doom your expat adventure to failure.

I have been an expat for several years now and my comment above probably does not even begin to cover things expats should think about but I know several who have failed as expats because they did not think things out and do their homeworkbefore setting off on their adventures.

excpomea May 27th 2022 1:41 pm

Re: What All Considering Becoming Expats Should Consider

Took me about 2 years before I felt comfortable living here.

scrubbedexpat142 May 27th 2022 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13118003)

Their is a high likelyhood that your expat adventure will fail in less than 12 months because of unreasonable expectations. Wanting things to be exactly as they are back home. Missing our family and friends, familiar foods, possible language barriers, expecting people to think like we do, People all over the planet have unique customs ,values and beliefs that sometimes we may not agree with. We should remember that we are guest in our new place of abode and that it is not a good idea to express our views about controversial subjects to the locals . Before considering relocation as an expat do your homework before making a move because moving to a country that does not share your viewpoint will likely doom your expat adventure to failure.

I have been an expat for several years now and my comment above probably does not even begin to cover things expats should think about but I know several who have failed as expats because they did not think things out and do their homeworkbefore setting off on their adventures.

So true!

Pulaski May 27th 2022 2:18 pm

.... Their is a high likelyhood that your expat adventure will fail in less than 12 months because of unreasonable expectations. ....

Expect things to be different. Problem solved. :nod:

As I came to the US with that mindset, I then found that there were far more similarities that differences between the US and UK, and also that many of the differences were good ones. :)

tht May 27th 2022 6:01 pm

I think it’s is a little bit more nuanced than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

Some on here are or were expats, and came through work, I did, but once I became a PR / USC I would say I became an immigrant. Others who came through marriage are more akin to immigrants right away…

You point about expecting things to be like home seems strange to me, My reason for moving abroad 2 of the 4 times I did it was an active choice to want to live in that country because of it’s difference to the UK. I did see the “expat” thing more in Asia and Aus/NZ, with people being in a “bubble” with others, but there are so many immigrants in the US it seems to be less of a thing for “Europeans” others seem to have clusters and their own sub community.

Your point about being a “guest” only holds so long, once you become a USC you have nearly all the same rights as natural born USC and should not think of yourself as a second class citizen.

Coming here as a single and marrying a local after I became a PR through work definitely helped me integrate… I have “family” here… I have been offered “expat” assignments since becoming a USC and have turned them all down, I would never say never, but it would take a 5-10x increase in net compensation for me to consider it, which is more than any role I have been offered is worth. I can see how it would be very hard for a foreign couple with or expecting to have children to move here away from family support and would not want to make that move unless it really was an offer I could not refuse.

Derrygal May 28th 2022 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13118043)

As I came to the US with that mindset, I then found that there were far more similarities that differences between the US and UK, and also that many of the differences were good ones. :)

You really think that? I certainly don't.

Pulaski May 28th 2022 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 13118162)

You think I would post an opinion I don't actually believe? If so, you really don't know me! :unsure:

Jolly Good May 28th 2022 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 13118162)

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13118163)
You think I would post an opinion I don't actually believe? If so, you really don't know me! :unsure:

I think in some instances it is correct but not all.
I found it was easier to accept certain things and just get on with it. It gets old really fast if you spend half your life gripping about " this is not how it should be"especially when your work life is affected.

Of course we are both British so things we didn't like or didn't understand why they were different meant we could have a good old moan about it together:lol:

tom169 May 28th 2022 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13118043)

This is the same approach that I took. :thumbup:

sid nv May 28th 2022 3:15 am

I quite like this new 'failed / passed' qualification for expats. Although the 12 month period for fail / pass seems a bit arbitrary.

Perhaps there should be separate forums for failed and passed expats? Then one can mix with the right sort of expat.

Jolly Good May 28th 2022 3:45 am

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 13118170)
I quite like this new 'failed / passed' qualification for expats. Although the 12 month period for fail / pass seems a bit arbitrary.

Perhaps there should be separate forums for failed and passed expats? Then one can mix with the right sort of expat.

Can you be borderline? Fail in one category and pass in another???:lol:

BristolUK May 28th 2022 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jolly Good (Post 13118166)
Of course we are both British so things we didn't like or didn't understand why they were different meant we could have a good old moan about it together:lol:

Yes, that can make a difference. With my Canadian wife I tried to just show some differences when I came across them, with no biases, but when I would describe things like 4-6 weeks annual leave, paid sick leave, low cost prescriptions, help with rent, welfare without having to sell your car, school supplies being provided by the school, not having to do tax returns every bloody year and so on, her jaw used to drop - in a good way - so I was less concerned about it. :lol: :nod:

spouse of scouse May 28th 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 13118170)

I want to know which category my husband fits into. He emigrated to Australia, then moved back to the UK, then moved back to Australia. We might need a third forum :lol:

spouse of scouse May 28th 2022 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jolly Good (Post 13118174)
Can you be borderline? Fail in one category and pass in another???:lol:

Borderline - we need a fourth forum!

robin1234 May 28th 2022 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13118248)
Yes, that can make a difference. With my Canadian wife I tried to just show some differences when I came across them, with no biases, but when I would describe things like 4-6 weeks annual leave, paid sick leave, low cost prescriptions, help with rent, welfare without having to sell your car, school supplies being provided by the school, not having to do tax returns every bloody year and so on, her jaw used to drop - in a good way - so I was less concerned about it. :lol: :nod:

Yes. And my American wife lived in England for many years, and saw many of the ways in which the UK is infinitely better than America. However, when attempting to be polite and sensitive, British people would ask her, “are you Canadian?” (Never mind that she’s from the Bronx and has the accent to prove it.) I’m afraid that was the straw that broke the camels back, she refuses to move back to England..