Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Well things are bad and I have submitted to...

Well things are bad and I have submitted to...

Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has pissed you off today

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Hey well done! Shall I say "I told you so"?

The vari-focal lenses weren't fantastic for driving at night to start with for me, and initiially I had probs seeing properly with them if I was anywhere with a lot of bright overhead lights ("Best Buy" was a good example). It takes a few days but if you persevere you'll find that your brain should adjust to how to use them within a few days of wearing them, or at least mine did.
Like the other poster said, your optician will change them out for you if they aren't working well when you go back for your follow up appt. I've had them adjust my scrip a little before when I went back because it was throwing my distance vision off.

I actually stopped wearing vari-focal contacts about 6 months ago and have the "mono vision" system now (one eye for distance one for close). It took me a few days to get used to that idea too. Works like a charm as soon as you're used to it though and I see much clearer with them than anything I ever had before.

Keep at it, and take note of how it feels each day, if it improves or not.
The other thing is, make sure and wear them as much as you can to let your brain work out how to use them.
I was never comfortable driving at night wearing contacts. I used to see starbursts from street lights, headlights etc which affected my vision. I also had trouble with any bright light...looking at a white/cream wall on a sunny day...even with sunglasses on I had to look away.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:59 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was never comfortable driving at night wearing contacts. I used to see starbursts from street lights, headlights etc which affected my vision. I also had trouble with any bright light...looking at a white/cream wall on a sunny day...even with sunglasses on I had to look away.
Same here to start with it was weird. The halo's and distortion from the colours on the traffic lights and the cars in front was almost dangerous, even worse than if I wasn't wearing my specs. That wore off after a few days/nights, I suppose as my brain got used to them. The lights in the stores were almost worse for blurring my vision and making me think I had something in my eye. When I asked my eye doctor about it when I went for a follow up a week later, he told me that they don't work well for some people with driving, but to try and get used to it gradually.. I did and it was ok.
The mono vision idea took some getting used to, and the bright lights situation was the same to start with, but they were fine after a few days too.
I guess we're all different, eh?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Same here to start with it was weird. The halo's and distortion from the colours on the traffic lights and the cars in front was almost dangerous, even worse than if I wasn't wearing my specs. That wore off after a few days/nights, I suppose as my brain got used to them. The lights in the stores were almost worse for blurring my vision and making me think I had something in my eye. When I asked my eye doctor about it when I went for a follow up a week later, he told me that they don't work well for some people with driving, but to try and get used to it gradually.. I did and it was ok.
The mono vision idea took some getting used to, and the bright lights situation was the same to start with, but they were fine after a few days too.
I guess we're all different, eh?
I wore contacts for about 10 years and the brightness thing never improved...so I got lasik surgery. Although the downside to that is having to wear reading glasses.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:26 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I wore contacts for about 10 years and the brightness thing never improved...so I got lasik surgery. Although the downside to that is having to wear reading glasses.
Good for you! I know a few people that have had it done too.
My sight needs correction for both distance and close up. One eye more than the other.
My own eye doc was "hmmm..." when I asked him about Lasik. Apparently it's borderline whether it would or not on one eye. Kind of annoying really, because when I asked about it 5 years ago it was a definate "no" for astigmatism. Now the lasik has improved to where they can correct it, but in that 5 years my astigmatism has got worse, so it's still not really fixable. Maybe in another 5 years it will be

How long ago did you have the lasik?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yay!! Yes, it will be blurry for a bit. Give your brain time to get accustomed to contacts rather than glasses.

When do you have to go back? If it's still blurry at your next check (should be in a week or so) ask the optician to change the Rx for you.
I am going back today my computer screen is on zoom and page is 150% its way to blurry.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am going back today my computer screen is on zoom and page is 150% its way to blurry.
Wow. Suppose you'll just have to see what they suggest to you.
Hope it works out eventually. What a hassle.
I know that I called the opticians about my specs once after a day, and they told me I needed to try and let my eyes adjust to the new prescription. Not sure how a new "better prescription" can make the sight worse, but apparently it can to start with. At that time I ended up having a retest on my eyes and a different scrip on my specs. Even the experts can get it wrong.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Suppose you'll just have to see what they suggest to you.
Hope it works out eventually. What a hassle.
I know that I called the opticians about my specs once after a day, and they told me I needed to try and let my eyes adjust to the new prescription. Not sure how a new "better prescription" can make the sight worse, but apparently it can to start with. At that time I ended up having a retest on my eyes and a different scrip on my specs. Even the experts can get it wrong.
I tried 4 pairs yesterday already and as you mentioned earlier if I adjust the short sight then the long distance will be affected as well....I was driving home and it was not good either the distance better without a lense.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Good for you! I know a few people that have had it done too.
My sight needs correction for both distance and close up. One eye more than the other.
My own eye doc was "hmmm..." when I asked him about Lasik. Apparently it's borderline whether it would or not on one eye. Kind of annoying really, because when I asked about it 5 years ago it was a definate "no" for astigmatism. Now the lasik has improved to where they can correct it, but in that 5 years my astigmatism has got worse, so it's still not really fixable. Maybe in another 5 years it will be

How long ago did you have the lasik?
About 10 years ago...I had severe astigmatism.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I tried 4 pairs yesterday already and as you mentioned earlier if I adjust the short sight then the long distance will be affected as well....I was driving home and it was not good either the distance better without a lense.
It's frustrating to have probs with them, and it does take time to adjust, but they have to get it right to start with for you. I suppose like you said, you'll have to talk to them and see what they can do to make it better from the start.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bifocal Contact Lens

Is this it? Is this as hardcore as TIO gets now?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 30th 2010 at 7:04 pm. Reason: avoiding sweary filter
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Is this it? Is this as hardcore as TIO gets now?
It was split from a thread already in TIO. As people would come back to this forum to reply I thought it best it stays here.

Now don't make me get my whip out for avoiding the sweary filter.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:10 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

It was split from a thread already in TIO. As people would come back to this forum to reply I thought it best it stays here.

Now don't make me get my whip out for avoiding the sweary filter.
I have my pants down already so that sounds ideal!

(Don't judge me people, Nigella is back on TV... a man has need ya know!)
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have my pants down already so that sounds ideal!

(Don't judge me people, Nigella is back on TV... a man has need ya know!)
Hell she even does it for me......
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I actually see better at night with my contacts because your night vision is best in the periphery, and it seems that lights don't penetrate my Coke-bottle thickness glasses well enough.

I just developed the need for reading glasses (damn, I hate getting old!) this year and will be looking into changing my soft contacts and my backup glasses. My ex-husband has had monovision LASIK as he is someone who always struggled with getting contacts in and out. I can get them in, out, in the case, in the dark lol - but I've been wearing them for over 30 years.

I'm not so keen on the monovision thing as I'm wondering how you can keep your 3-D perspective like that. I suppose that if you're looking at the same object with both eyes, even if one sees it as clear and the other blurry, you can still have some depth perception, but I still have to wonder exactly how good the depth perception really is.

Poppy, I hope your vision clears soon.... it does take some time to get used to them, but they are worth it!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I'm not so keen on the monovision thing as I'm wondering how you can keep your 3-D perspective like that. I suppose that if you're looking at the same object with both eyes, even if one sees it as clear and the other blurry, you can still have some depth perception, but I still have to wonder exactly how good the depth perception really is.
I was concerned when they wanted to try them on me.
They work well though, the brain does the adjustment for the eyes and it's the same as if both eyes are being corrected. It takes a week or two to really get used to it, but after that it's plain sailing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.