Wedding costs

Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:07 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding costs

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am too much of a control freak to ever have anyone organise anything for me.
I'm with you on that one!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Lol, no I can imagine it, bet they kept waiting until you had mouthful of food and chink, chink, chink chink
pretty much, the gits
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Anybody else want to come ...
Oh, yes please Ray!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:19 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Ray
My wedding anniversary on Saturday
Happy Anniversary for Saturday!

Our 6th year wedding anniversary is on Saturday, December 2nd.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I remember correctly in England the bride and groom's friends and family are invited. Here it seems many of the parents' friends are invited too. We have been invited to weddings and we've never even met the bride or groom and haven't seen them since. Seems to be a competition...which family can get the most guests...perhaps it's a popularity contest.
Yes, it is strange, we've been to a few weddings for people we barely know here! We just had close family, friends & some people from work that I actually liked. I didn't feel the need to invite anyone that I didn't know or care for. I will post an aerial shot of us getting married, you will see how many we had...not many!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
Hear hear! Actually, the only cost at our wedding was paid by the guests for presents that didn't even go to us!

We had no money at the time, and we didn't need it. The church was loaned to us free, the minister was a friend, my best friend and her fiance flew in from England to provide the music, and everybody brought food for a slap-up afterwards. Instead of a wedding present list (which I think is beyond tacky) we provided our guests with a list from the local food bank. Guests brought donations from the list and a friend carted it all off after the wedding to help feed people who weren't having such a happy time.

Cost: next to nothing. Memories: priceless.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
I love that.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:33 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Just interested in people's views on this.

We know a couple aged about 30, not very well-off, living in rented accommodation and he has no medical insurance. However, they are planning to spend all their savings on a fancy wedding.

I would advise them to use their money towards their future, but am I just being unromantic?
Our wedding cost 35 dollars. 10 for the licence and 25 for the courthouse. We had a small reception at her folks house and all got rather rat arsed the next night. Ten thousand dollars couldn't have made it a better day!!!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The whole wedding thing here is just another part of the Social climbing that everyone wants to do. Often people will invite co workers or bosses to their childrens weddings. It's also competative, like how some people are with christmas decorations, always keeping up with (or outdoing) the Jones's.
Snap!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by nethead
I've only been to one wedding here my BIL's it was really good day. Though what's the tapping your cutlery on you glass to get the bride and groom to kiss all about?
Yes, hmmm, I found out about that at our wedding reception, we had it on base & hubby invited a few of his good friends from work, they were doing it all night, bastards!!!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:40 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Apart from the groom obviously.....
Hahaha, excellent!

Karma for that one!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 1:06 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Apart from the groom obviously.....

LOL We deviated away from the usual tuxedos and wore english-style morning suits- pinstripe jackets and grey trousers (if i remember correctly)
all quite nice actually

the main thing was that everyone got fed (apart from me) and got shit-faced