Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Webcam/Home security system

Webcam/Home security system

Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Webcam/Home security system

We're thinking about improving our home security situation.

I've heard about some kind of system where there are one or more camera in/around the home, and the absent home-owner can check what's happening via the net.

Can anyone give me more information, pointers or tell me their experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:00 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Re: Webcam/Home security system

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

I've heard about some kind of system where there are one or more camera in/around the home, and the absent home-owner can check what's happening via the net.

Can anyone give me more information, pointers or tell me their experience with this?

Thanks!
Very interesting topic, and I could write chapter and verse on it, but won't, as it is about to get verrrrrry messy due to someone with a) foresight b) deep pockets c) patience and d) a patent being infringed.
The founders of Priceline.com are the patent holders on that and they are suing everyone with deep pockets for infringing; including ADT, Iveda Solutions, Tessco Technologies, Arrow Security, Commercial Protective Services, and Westec Intelligent Surveillance etc.

The actual patents make very interesting reading. Claim No.1 on the earliest patent is where foresight was shown.
In case you don't know, the only truly important bit of any patent is "Claim 1." and if you don't infringe that, don't worry too much.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Simple solution is a do it yourself approach...

Can get quite a range of cameras that are motion sensitive, so batteries last a while, or you could tack them to the mains.

Wireless, so they can stream the data via a web interface and if you wanted, to record the data, though if it's for home security, should have it saved off site as someone robbing your house, knicking your computer, won't do you much good.

Can use something like Amazon cloud storage for decent rates and storage.

https://www.dropcam.com/ I think that's the most popular/simplest all in one home solution though.

But there are loads of others and if you have your own cameras, there are plenty of services that'll do the hosting/streaming for you such as - http://www.gotocamera.com/ if you didn't want to do it all yourself.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:20 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Simple solution is a do it yourself approach...

Can get quite a range of cameras that are motion sensitive, so batteries last a while, or you could tack them to the mains.

Wireless, so they can stream the data via a web interface and if you wanted, to record the data, though if it's for home security, should have it saved off site as someone robbing your house, knicking your computer, won't do you much good.

Can use something like Amazon cloud storage for decent rates and storage.

https://www.dropcam.com/ I think that's the most popular/simplest all in one home solution though.

But there are loads of others and if you have your own cameras, there are plenty of services that'll do the hosting/streaming for you such as - http://www.gotocamera.com/ if you didn't want to do it all yourself.
Both systems infringe on the patent listed in my earlier post.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Both systems infringe on the patent listed in my earlier post.
Which makes no difference really, because unless you are a large company like ADT, there isn't the money in suing.

The end user doesn't care and there are so many web tutorials on how to rig your own set up. Software also can't be patented, just the process and application of the technology and you can do the same thing many different ways.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:05 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is a wifi enabled robotic webcam that you can run around your house.

Problems include the fact you have to keep an Internet connection active at the home while away along with electrical power. The other big issue is that your chances of actually catching someone in the act of a crime are pretty slim. Far better to have a good alarm system with a response capacity.

In my place in Hong Kong I have a computer hooked up with Facetime (Mac program) that I configured to "automatically answer" my phone calls. That way I can check on the kids and see who is home via my iPhone or iPad while running around the city. If I was seriously considering this option for an unoccupied property, I'd have to also buy a telephone enabled power cord, such that I could remotely restart not only the computer should the system crash (as computers occasionally do) but also reset the router and modem should they go down.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all

My company uses a modified version of a home security system at their offices. It's quite cool, though

Here's the manufacturers website...
http://www.elkproducts.com/

You'd need to bolt on an IP camera system (you've already had some good links for that though!)
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I have had this camera (or its predecessor) in my CA place for a few years. I can simply pull up a browser from 'anywhere' and view the inside of my home (password protected).

http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=79

(Linksys Wireless G WVC210).

All it needs is a power socket to plug into, and a wireless network. No PC / home computer needed. So you do have to pay for monthly internet service. Theoretically, since I don't pay for a static IP, my home IP address could change 'at any moment' ... but it hasn't changed in a few years . And if you are concerned about that there are free services that will get around it.

I can pan, tilt and zoom the camera. I can set it up to detect motion and email me (never tried). I can view the image on my iPhone.

Not sure it's much use for security, though ... but reassuring to know my place is still standing ...

ETA: you do have to do a bit of 'port forwarding' in your broadband router, but nothing you can't figure out.

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 30th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:00 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by Bob
Which makes no difference really, because unless you are a large company like ADT, there isn't the money in suing.

The end user doesn't care and there are so many web tutorials on how to rig your own set up. Software also can't be patented, just the process and application of the technology and you can do the same thing many different ways.
"Cease and Desist" orders are quite cheap.
I must declare that "I have a horse in this race" so can't really comment any more, which is a shame.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
My husband set up a system like this around our house. We have a camera at the front of the house that covers the front door and garage/driveway areas and one at the side which covers the length of the house. We're built on a hill, so there's no way anyone is coming into the yard from the back (we're about 30' higher than the people behind us). He did have cameras in the house, but I didn't like the idea of it, so they're switched off when we're home.

To check on what's going on remotely we can just log onto the website for our DVR and with the right password check on the house. Everything is recorded, so I can look back at stuff that happened days or weeks ago if we want. Or watch live! My kids can't lie about "the bus never came" for school anymore 'cause I can see it on the camera.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:54 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

We were given and ADT system a couple of months ago, no cameras but you can get them as extras. It's already paid for itself though as I was off work sick when the smoke alarm went off and woke me up, turns out the wife set fire to a frying pan as she never switched it off when she walked off. When we go to the kitchen and saw the fire I told her to get the kids and get out the house whilst I went to wet a tea towel, instead she threw the pan in the sink and turned the water on and the whole wall went up. Luckily the blind it set fire to just melted and dropped so I was able to cover the pan and the fire went out but if the alarm hadn't woken me up the whole house would probably be gone.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:42 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
We were given and ADT system a couple of months ago, no cameras but you can get them as extras. It's already paid for itself though as I was off work sick when the smoke alarm went off and woke me up, turns out the wife set fire to a frying pan as she never switched it off when she walked off. When we go to the kitchen and saw the fire I told her to get the kids and get out the house whilst I went to wet a tea towel, instead she threw the pan in the sink and turned the water on and the whole wall went up. Luckily the blind it set fire to just melted and dropped so I was able to cover the pan and the fire went out but if the alarm hadn't woken me up the whole house would probably be gone.
ADT are part of the law suit.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
"Cease and Desist" orders are quite cheap.
I must declare that "I have a horse in this race" so can't really comment any more, which is a shame.
Yes, but enforcing one isn't.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 4:10 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, but enforcing one isn't.
Even if you have Priceline.com's money and parade of lawyers?
Have you read the detail of the case? The Patent holder has done everything they should, prior to serving papers. Public companies have to follow rules that you and I need not, as we don't have Joe Public Investor to explain to. ADT et-al do. Yes, I am on the side of Priceline, mainly because I have been copied and ripped off, almost from the day I got off the plane and set up business here. It's never a small company either, always big conglomerates who know that the little guy can't fight back in the US the way that one can in the UK.
The US legal system is on a par, in my experience, with it's over rated, crap medical system.
Why do I stay here? Because I have a lot invested here, in time, effort and new product design. In the UK I have available, only 55 customers. Here I have 23,000. On paper it's larger than the 23K, but the others have no money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.