Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Veteran checks wrong box, gets arrested.

Veteran checks wrong box, gets arrested.

Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

soupoftheday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Veteran checks wrong box, gets arrested.

What a story...I have the utmost respect for military servicemen and if you are willing to die for a country you should be able to become a part of that country...my gut feeling says true justice will prevail over the letter of the law and things will work out.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soupoftheday
What a story...I have the utmost respect for military servicemen and if you are willing to die for a country you should be able to become a part of that country...my gut feeling says true justice will prevail over the letter of the law and things will work out.
I actually hope he's treated exactly the same way as absolutely anyone else who makes a false claim of citizenship. I don't like a two-tier legal system.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I actually hope he's treated exactly the same way as absolutely anyone else who makes a false claim of citizenship. I don't like a two-tier legal system.
There's a very good chance that he wasn't the one that made the false claim, rather that he was carrying a false claim made by someone else without his knowledge.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
There's a very good chance that he wasn't the one that made the false claim, rather that he was carrying a false claim made by someone else without his knowledge.

And a similar story may come from others who, perhaps, dished up the fries at McDonald's rather than serving their country in the armed forces. I don't want him to have special treatment because he was in the military and is currently in the spotlight.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

And a similar story may come from others who, perhaps, dished up the fries at McDonald's rather than serving their country in the armed forces. I don't want him to have special treatment because he was in the military and is currently in the spotlight.
Then perhaps no immigrant, legal or otherwise should get special treatment for having served in the US military as far as naturalization goes, they should wait the same amount of time before being eligible like the rest of us.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:16 pm
Septicity

Then perhaps no immigrant, legal or otherwise should get special treatment for having served in the US military as far as naturalization goes, they should wait the same amount of time before being eligible like the rest of us.
Non sequitur.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Non sequitur.
If you liken putting your life on the line for the people of the country that you reside in to working at McDonalds, then no special privileges should be offered to vets.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:30 pm
Septicity

If you liken putting your life on the line for the people of the country that you reside in to working at McDonalds, then no special privileges should be offered to vets.
If you're a veteran and you commit a criminal offence, you should expect to be treated exactly the same way as someone who commits the same criminal offence but isn't a veteran.

While you're at it, the premise also works equally well with black/white, rich/poor, famous/unknown.

That's my full contribution. The rest of the stuff is a figment of your imagination
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:36 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Came here to post the "Service Guarantees Citizenship" poster from Starship Troopers.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but... doesn't the US & UK justice systems allow for mitigation - guilty is guilty - the issue then becomes one of appropriate punishment in the circumstances - otherwise we can do away with the judges and leave it up to the police, the admissions offices of schools/universities, HR departments, and a others to dispense justice according to an unbending book of statutes. I wonder what kind of society that would be like to live in...?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

.....you liken putting your life on the line for the people of the country that you reside in to working at McDonalds, .....
Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Came here to post the "Service Guarantees Citizenship" ......