Is USA Passport ok?

Old Apr 7th 2017, 6:34 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is USA Passport ok?

It's a no brainer. If you're a naturalized US citizen you carry a US passport when traveling abroad. Using another passport may cause you problems with US immigration on returning.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Using another passport may cause you problems with US immigration on returning.
It may, yes... in the same sense that death rays from Mars may kill you.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I use my UK passport to enter the UK. I have found it much quicker to get through the epassport gates at LHR. I have never had an issue coming back into the US after using both passports.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

I'm traveling to Scotland later this month. I've always used my US passport to enter and leave US and my UK passport to enter the UK. I think it's a psychological thing. I'd really like to do that this time but have heard that this might not be such a good idea with all the travel stuff going on now. I can't see it, but what say you? Do you think there might be problems?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
... have heard that this might not be such a good idea with all the travel stuff going on now.
Really? From whom? Anyone with credibility?

I can't see it, but what say you?
I don't see it either.

Do you think there might be problems?
No.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2017, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scom
So your husband is also UK born but travels in on his USA passport to the UK? How often has he done that?
I've done that twice - I was born British but am now a dual citizen. The closest thing to an issue was a hint of a wry smile from the immigration officer presumably because I don't sound American (I am from Sheffield and my accent hasn't changed much since I left as a child); but I certainly wasn't asked why I wasn't using my British passport. FWIW my my British passport had expired and I hadn't got around to renewing it.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 8:17 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It may, yes... in the same sense that death rays from Mars may kill you.

Ian
Question is does the State department say it's okay to travel on a foreign passport if one is an American citizen ?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Question is does the State department say it's okay to travel on a foreign passport if one is an American citizen ?
Who cares what the State Department says. It's not up to them. So long as the USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport, then it matters not one single iota what other passport they might use to enter another country. Not having a foreign stamp in your US passport when you return to the US isn't an issue. Why? Because you're not obligated to use your US passport to enter any other country!

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:34 pm
Banned

Who cares what the State Department says. It's not up to them. So long as the USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport, then it matters not one single iota what other passport they might use to enter another country. Not having a foreign stamp in your US passport when you return to the US isn't an issue. Why? Because you're not obligated to use your US passport to enter any other country!

Ian
I would have thought that Homeland Security might be interested in that. For all anyone knows you might have been to North Korea or Iran. Countries of interest as they say. Ten to One that multi passport right will come to an end under Trump in the not too distant future
Old Apr 7th 2017, 11:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

By what conceivable stretch of law or imagination could the US government possibly think they have the right to tell a UK citizen that they need to use their US passport to enter the UK? I know the Americans think they rule the ****ing world but that would be a bridge too far!
Old Apr 7th 2017, 11:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that Homeland Security might be interested in that. For all anyone knows you might have been to North Korea or Iran. Countries of interest as they say. Ten to One that multi passport right will come to an end under Trump in the not too distant future
I entered the US at Ogdensburg, New York after having been out of the country for five months, a couple of weeks ago. In fact I'd been in England for five months and in Canada for a few hours. Predictably, the guy's only question was whether I'd bought anything in Canada.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 12:09 am
Account Closed

I would have thought...
I've ceased to care what you think.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2017, 1:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Ten to One that multi passport right will come to an end under Trump in the not too distant future
Nonsense .... however I think it is quite likely that the UK will follow the lead of the US and Canada by requiring that British citizens use a British passport to enter the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 2:55 am
Banned

I've ceased to care what you think.

Ian
Ooooh you are awful Now I'm going find a quiet spot and suck my thumb for awhile. Jeeezuz !
Old Apr 8th 2017, 2:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
By what conceivable stretch of law or imagination could the US government possibly think they have the right to tell a UK citizen that they need to use their US passport to enter the UK? I know the Americans think they rule the ****ing world but that would be a bridge too far!
If you're a UK citizen living here with a green card visa then perhaps where you go overseas is no business of the US.

If on the other hand you are a naturalized US citizen and presumably still a UK citizen then the US has a right to check where you've been if it's deemed necessary for security reasons or is taking US citizenship nothing more than secondary to being a UK citizen first ?

As for Americans thinking they rule the ********world if truth be known I believe that the great majority of Americans wish they'd never been involved in the world apart from trade. A European war along with Japan dragged them in and when the Soviet Union became a threat that the Europeans couldn't deal with in 1945 then the US was stuck there and in other parts of the world forever, inheriting and not always knowing how to solve the mess left by the departing colonial nations

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 8th 2017 at 3:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.