Is USA Passport ok?

Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Scom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is USA Passport ok?

My husband is originally from the UK but moved to America 26 years ago and is now an American citizen after naturalizing over 4 years ago. He has not been back to the UK since he left 26 years ago, but we will be visiting the UK for 10 days in September. Will he be ok just traveling on his USA passport or will he have to apply for his British passport also? My mother in law is also from the UK and obviously has also lived in the USA for 26 years. She too, became a US Citizen and travels in and out of the UK on just her US passport. Just wanted to touch bases with any other UK born people on this forum who have because US citizens... what passport do you use when traveling to the UK on vacation?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is USA Passport ok?

I've traveled with a friend who's a dual US/UK citizen and she had no issues entering the UK on her US passport.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:48 am
Just Joined

That is a huge relief. I just think it will raise more red flags or issues entering on a UK passport, leaving on a US passport but no entry stamp in your US passport of you arriving in the UK because u used your UK passport to enter LOL! The whole thing has been giving us a headache.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

My husband prefers to use his US PP to enter the UK...we are dualies. I prefer to enter the UK using my UK PP...because I don't like being asked why I am entering my country.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

My husband prefers to use his US PP to enter the UK...we are dualies. I prefer to enter the UK using my UK PP...because I don't like being asked why I am entering my country.
So your husband is also UK born but travels in on his USA passport to the UK? How often has he done that?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scom
Will he be ok just traveling on his USA passport...
Yes. It's a non-issue.

My mother in law is also from the UK and obviously has also lived in the USA for 26 years.
I'm not exactly sure how it's obvious!

... what passport do you use when traveling to the UK on vacation?
I use my US passport almost exclusively. I haven't used my UK passport for almost 10 years now.

I just think it will raise more red flags or issues entering on a UK passport, leaving on a US passport but no entry stamp in your US passport of you arriving in the UK because u used your UK passport to enter LOL!
This is also a non-issue for those of us with two or more valid passports.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 7th 2017 at 1:57 am.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. It's a non-issue.

I'm not exactly sure how it's obvious!

I use my US passport almost exclusively. I haven't used my UK passport for almost 10 years now.

Ian
I really appreciate your answers... its been a great help
Old Apr 7th 2017, 2:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So your husband is also UK born but travels in on his USA passport to the UK? How often has he done that?
More times than he can remember. We are both Brits...naturalised Americans.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I became a US citizen 3 years ago, and am using my US passport to visit UK again next month .

I am thinking about renewing my UK passport whilst there, it recently expired.(not that it can't be done from here, but I think it is cheaper) but it is purely an emotional issue, not something one needs to do.

*(I imagine Jerseygirl's husband trying to argue this point for not very long!)
Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by RICH
I became a US citizen 3 years ago, and am using my US passport to visit UK again next month .

I am thinking about renewing my UK passport whilst there, it recently expired.(not that it can't be done from here, but I think it is cheaper) but it is purely an emotional issue, not something one needs to do.

As hubby says 'happy wife, happy life'...we celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary in June.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
More times than he can remember. We are both Brits...naturalised Americans.
Thank you Jersey girl. It will be his first time travelling to the UK in decades and It will be my first time traveling back to the UK since I moved here 5 years ago and got my 10 year green card. There are 2 other questions I have that may seem obvious in answer but I just wanted to make sure 1. My husband does not need any type of visa to enter the UK right? from what I understand, a person with a US passport can travel to the UK freely and stay for a maximum of 6 months? (we are going for 10 days). 2. When I leave the UK and fly back to the states do I need to apply for an ESTA even though I have a green card?
Stacey
Old Apr 7th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH

Thanks Rich - will this be your first time traveling to the UK on your US passport?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 12:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jersey girl. It will be his first time travelling to the UK in decades and It will be my first time traveling back to the UK since I moved here 5 years ago and got my 10 year green card. There are 2 other questions I have that may seem obvious in answer but I just wanted to make sure 1. My husband does not need any type of visa to enter the UK right? from what I understand, a person with a US passport can travel to the UK freely and stay for a maximum of 6 months? (we are going for 10 days). 2. When I leave the UK and fly back to the states do I need to apply for an ESTA even though I have a green card?
Stacey
No he doesn't need a visa, and you don't need an ESTA.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My husband does not need any type of visa to enter the UK right?
Correct - because he's a UK citizen.

... a person with a US passport can travel to the UK freely and stay for a maximum of 6 months?
Yes. Note that he does have the right of entry to the UK because he's a UK citizen. He should take his expired UK passport with him. While it's not valid for travel (which is why he travels on his US passport), it is still proof of his status as a UK citizen - which gives him the right of entry to the UK.

When I leave the UK and fly back to the states do I need to apply for an ESTA even though I have a green card?
No. ESTA is for visitors - and you aren't one.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 7th 2017 at 1:05 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for all your answers - this has reassured me greatly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.