Wikiposts

US Driving Licence

Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice
Default US Driving Licence

I gave up my UK license for a Georgia ID almost 2 years ago. At that time I wasn't ready to drive; I had never really driven in the UK and I needed a Georgia ID. I am now in the process of applying for a Georgia Driving License. I went for the knowledge test today and was asked if I had previously had a license. I informed them that I had previously had a UK license but had given it up at another DDS center in order to get my Georgia ID two years ago. I was told that before I could take the knowledge test, I would have to get a "clearance letter" from the UK to explain the status of my UK license. I am really confused because I had assumed that when I gave up my license to get my Georgia ID, it would be on record that I had given up my license/ they would have made a note of the driver number / other pertinent information etc. I still have a photocopy of the license as well as the original form that accompanied the UK license. I don't understand why I need to get a "clearance letter" since I am applying for a US license "from scratch"/ not asking for any exemptions or anything. I would appreciate any advice on this. E.g. does the request for a clearance letter sound correct or do you think the person did not understand my situation? If correct, is it difficult to get a clearance letter/ is the UK used to dealing with these kinds of requests? Many thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving Licence

When I came to Georgia almost 3 years ago I started from scratch.
I walked in to simply take the knowledge test, the receptionist asked why I didnt want to take the whole thing (knowledge, eye and practical) I said that as I didnt have an appointment for the practical I just wanted to try the knowledge first, he told me that they could 'squeeze' me in for the practical.
The knowledge test has some questions about causes of accidents and unique Georgia laws so best to brush up on their version of the highway code.
The practical was as you have probably read a bit of a joke, the reversing, parking, stopping at STOP signs, emergency stop was done in the parking lot of the test centre, we then went for a swing round the block for all of 5 mins, no hill starts, reversing round corners, 3 point turns. It was a walk over, within 2 hours I emerged with a full licence.

here are a couple of links from the Georgia Department of Driver Services site
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...47371440&ty=dl
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41471757&ty=dl
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Can you go to a different DMV office?
I'd not even mention the UK license, ask to do the drivers test and use your Georgia ID as proof of who you are.
It seems mentioning foreign licenses and ID's in the US only complicates things as they haven't a clue what to do with them.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:55 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

From one of Vimto's links:

You should present your Out of Country/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card. Out of country licenses/permits/ID cards are returned to non US citizens with the following exceptions: Commercial licenses and permits. US Citizens who hold a license/permit/ID card issued by any foreign jurisdiction or US territory must surrender the license/permit/ID card.
So there's the cock up - the folks at the DMV two years ago should have given you your UK licence back, but didn't. Don't bother pursuing this - the DMV will never, ever admit that any of their staff might have made a mistake.

You might be best off just going to another office, saying "No" when (if) they ask you the question and go from there.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clare37
I gave up my UK license for a Georgia ID almost 2 years ago. At that time I wasn't ready to drive; I had never really driven in the UK and I needed a Georgia ID. I am now in the process of applying for a Georgia Driving License. I went for the knowledge test today and was asked if I had previously had a license. I informed them that I had previously had a UK license but had given it up at another DDS center in order to get my Georgia ID two years ago. I was told that before I could take the knowledge test, I would have to get a "clearance letter" from the UK to explain the status of my UK license. I am really confused because I had assumed that when I gave up my license to get my Georgia ID, it would be on record that I had given up my license/ they would have made a note of the driver number / other pertinent information etc. I still have a photocopy of the license as well as the original form that accompanied the UK license. I don't understand why I need to get a "clearance letter" since I am applying for a US license "from scratch"/ not asking for any exemptions or anything. I would appreciate any advice on this. E.g. does the request for a clearance letter sound correct or do you think the person did not understand my situation? If correct, is it difficult to get a clearance letter/ is the UK used to dealing with these kinds of requests? Many thanks.

You should NEVER surrender your UK licence for any US one ! .... I was told that by NY Driver licence center. The only licences you should give up are those from other states. UK ones are exempt, they are not in contradiction of any US driving laws and you may need them on a trip to the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I surrendered my Uk license for a GA one.....
I don't see it as a problem....
I use my GA license in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
It's not your license to surrender though...it's government property, much like a passport.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it; if it's not a problem for you, it doesn't matter.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

davymac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't worry about it; if it's not a problem for you, it doesn't matter.
i failed the ohio test ,an the girl said its ok ,you still have your uk licence to drive stupid isnt it
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:28 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davymac
the girl said its ok ,you still have your uk licence to drive stupid isnt it
Stupid and likely incorrect! I can't find it on the Ohio DMV website but many states require you to get a local license within x days if you're going to living there.

PS how did you fail???
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:44 am
Just Joined

davymac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Stupid and likely incorrect! I can't find it on the Ohio DMV website but many states require you to get a local license within x days if you're going to living there.

PS how did you fail???
i didnt observe a pedestrian,so had to wait 7 days an passed it
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
UK ones are exempt, they are not in contradiction of any US driving laws and you may need them on a trip to the UK.
For a trip to the UK, why not use your US license?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
For a trip to the UK, why not use your US license?
I concur.... I've done that on 2 occasions now... never been a problem!!
It's actually more correct than my UK license was... it was in my old name before I married.... and I haven't lived on the address on it for years...I never changed the details.... so it wasn't legal in the UK anyway!!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I concur.... I've done that on 2 occasions now... never been a problem!!
It's actually more correct than my UK license was... it was in my old name before I married.... and I haven't lived on the address on it for years...I never changed the details.... so it wasn't legal in the UK anyway!!
I use my US licence on every visit, but I still hold my UK one, it's my right and if I moved back I would need it, a US licince is only valid for 90 days over there, in the same way a UK one is only valid here for 30 days.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:25 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I use my US licence on every visit, but I still hold my UK one, it's my right and if I moved back I would need it, a US licince is only valid for 90 days over there, in the same way a UK one is only valid here for 30 days.
Minor pedantic point here, but from what I remember from SWMBO moving over, immigrants from the US get 1 year on their US license.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.