Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK Pension Contributions

UK Pension Contributions

Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Pension Contributions

Morning all!

I have 13 years of full contributions to the UK State Pension, and have decided not to pay class 2 contributions since I moved to the US. I just think that those contributions put into a 401(k) instead have more chance to grow and will end up beyond what the SP will be at that time.

So, having pulled my record this morning, the UK.gov website implies that I would receive the princley sum of £70-ish a week if I dont make any further contributions.

My questions is, is this correct? Can I still claim the SP even if I will not have paid anything in since 2013 when I reach 68 in 2052? (assuming that that remains pension age, which it probably won't)

Thanks all!
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension Contributions

Originally Posted by civilservant
Morning all!

I have 13 years of full contributions to the UK State Pension, and have decided not to pay class 2 contributions since I moved to the US. I just think that those contributions put into a 401(k) instead have more chance to grow and will end up beyond what the SP will be at that time.

So, having pulled my record this morning, the UK.gov website implies that I would receive the princley sum of £70-ish a week if I dont make any further contributions.

My questions is, is this correct? Can I still claim the SP even if I will not have paid anything in since 2013 when I reach 68 in 2052? (assuming that that remains pension age, which it probably won't)

Thanks all!
I didn't realise you were such a spring chicken Under the current rules, with 13 years of NI contributions you'd be eligible for £61 and some pence per week. You need 35 years of qualifying NI contributions to receive the full state pension of £164.35 - to calculate your current entitlement you divide £164.35 by 35, then multiply by 13. Again under the current rules, you can claim and receive your basic State pension from overseas. If you live in the US, you'll receive annual percentage increases.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I didn't realise you were such a spring chicken
Thanks.... I think Yes I'll be 35 this year.

Good answer! Thank you!
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.... I think Yes I'll be 35 this year.

Good answer! Thank you!
You're welcome. Gawd, you're a year younger than my youngest offspring. I'm the old boiler to your spring chicken
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all!

Thanks all!
I hadn't paid anything in for forty years when I claimed my very small UK pension. Just make sure you retain all your UK records so you can complete the paperwork without too much brain strain!
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I hadn't paid anything in for forty years when I claimed my very small UK pension. Just make sure you retain all your UK records so you can complete the paperwork without too much brain strain!
hmmm I didn't complete any paperwork, just a phone call in order to claim. A few security checks then bank details and it was done! I am very impressed with the International Pension Centre phone service.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
hmmm I didn't complete any paperwork, just a phone call in order to claim. A few security checks then bank details and it was done! I am very impressed with the International Pension Centre phone service.
You won the Pension Claiming lottery! My husband claimed from Australia, the application he had to fill in resembled a decent sized book.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You won the Pension Claiming lottery! My husband claimed from Australia, the application he had to fill in resembled a decent sized book.
Yes, they sent me the book. It was when I called with a question about it that they said not to bother with that and I could claim by phone, which is what I did.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Yes, they sent me the book. It was when I called with a question about it that they said not to bother with that and I could claim by phone, which is what I did.
You must have a lovely telephone manner
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

However you claim, surely you have to give them some UK work history info that it is good to have to hand? Or perhaps I needed it because I had been gone so long. (Though I see that s of s's OH also had to give them chapter and verse!)
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
However you claim, surely you have to give them some UK work history info that it is good to have to hand? Or perhaps I needed it because I had been gone so long. (Though I see that s of s's OH also had to give them chapter and verse!)
All I had to give them in relation to work was the name and address of my last employer in the UK, though I had the impression that this was more a security check than anything else.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

All I had to give them in relation to work was the name and address of my last employer in the UK, though I had the impression that this was more a security check than anything else.
You got off lightly! I had to provide every employer I'd ever worked for in the UK, along with the dates of employment, plus my last two residence addresses in the UK.