Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK Expats to get vote for life

UK Expats to get vote for life

Old Oct 11th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Expats to get vote for life

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not since 1967 and Afroyim v. Rusk.
Exactly.

....dual citizenship has been specifically sanctioned by the United States Supreme Court. In 1967, the court ruled that the State Department had violated the Constitution when it refused to issue a new U.S. passport to a U.S. citizen who had voted in an election in Israel. The decision overturned a law saying that "a person, who is a national of the United States, whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voting in a political election in a foreign state."
Old Oct 11th 2016, 6:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Pity this is too late to vote Remain but I hope it will be in time for me to help vote TM out of Number 10 )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...overnment-says
Excellent.. We can cancel each other out.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I would vote for JM over TM
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I would vote for JM over TM
If that is true I have no idea how you find living in the US even marginally tollerable.

The US is a right-leaning capitalist country and it seems improbable that even the Conservatives could move the UK far enough to the right to make it look like America (nor, I would add, is there any evidence that they wish to do so) and yet whoever is currently leading the British Conservative party is the devil incarnate?
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

JM could be considered left , but JC definitely is not left. The hamster is more middle of the road.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

In fact everyone who lives in a State is represented. By their Senators and Congressmen in either the Federal or State governments. If as a LPR, or other resident, you have a problem you are able to raise the matter with your representatives.

What you don't get to do is vote and choose those representatives, but they represent you none the less.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
In fact everyone who lives in a State is represented. By their Senators and Congressmen in either the Federal or State governments. If as a LPR, or other resident, you have a problem you are able to raise the matter with your representatives.

What you don't get to do is vote and choose those representatives, but they represent you none the less.
Absolutely -- when my naturalization application disappeared into the system for two years, I contacted the congressman for my district and had an appointment in two days.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That only applies to residents. If you are a property owner , in the US you do not get any representation for paying property taxes where the property is located. You may however get some representation by lobbyists.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 8:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That only applies to residents. If you are a property owner , in the US you do not get any representation for paying property taxes where the property is located. You may however get some representation by lobbyists.
Property taxes go to the counties and cities. If you own property you are represented by the County Commissioners or City Councilors.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a wise move. I've been gone just over 15 years and couldn't decide on Brexit and I realized it was just as well I didn't have a vote.

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there, said L P Hartley. After 15 years absence and a recent trip to the UK, I know this quote to be true.