Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK banks problematic for US citizens

UK banks problematic for US citizens

Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK banks problematic for US citizens

For some US citizens that ignored the fact they were born in the US, there can sometimes be issues. Maybe they should change the law to stop forcing people to be US citizens. You would have thought Trump would have been right on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ccounts-frozen

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 25th 2019 at 7:07 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks problematic for US citizens

Its a bit of an issue in Canada as well. I am with a local credit union and asked if they needed my US information but was told no and they have never asked for it, but maybe its because they are a local credit union with no US operations or presence?

Either way my bank account never has enough funds in it to have to file whatever it's called, so one upside to being low income....but I do have to spend 15 minutes a year filling out the IRS tax forms and returning and paying $20 for postage (I want tracking and delivery confirmation so costs more vs regular mail.) but again income is too low to ever owe the US anything.

For those who don't realize they have USC or unaware of the tax stuff, I could see how it would be problematic and with the high fee to renounce makes even that difficult even.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You would have thought Trump would have been right on this.
It's not within the power of the Executive Branch to unilaterally amend the US Constitution.

Far from being "right on this", I'm actually genuinely disturbed that a President believed they could even do it - they literally teach about the separation of powers in school here...
Old Aug 26th 2019, 4:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

they literally teach about the separation of powers in school here...
Yes but Trump doesn't remember when he talked about Nuking clouds 18 months ago, let alone his civics classes in school.

Personally I can't believe that any person who has a legitimate belief that they may be a US Citizen would not check out what that actually means for them. This is on them, not anyone else.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

There was a follow-up to this story on the BBC this morning (27/08/2019) on the Victoria Derbyshire Show. If you can get the BBC Iplayer, it's at 46:50.

Renunciation costs ~£2,000. If there is a culprit in this story, besides CBT, it's the person who talked the pensioner into spending the additional £11,000.