Off with her head

Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really nice
Default Off with her head

So the Queen has suspended Parliament. Didnt we behead a Monarch for doing something similar. Brexit gone crazy!!! Where is Oliver Cromwell when we need him!!!
Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off with her head

Calm down, this happens every year.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really niceMempete is just really nice

We really do need someone like Cromwell to go in and tidy up the mess.
Is Guy Fawkes still availiable!??
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not until 5 November I’m afraid so too late to stop Brexit.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

I wish they just get on with it!! Its killing my British company pension with the exchange rate.
Although i didnt have to get any dollars for travelling with on my way back, they were offering £1. = $1.025 at Heathrow on Saturday.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mempete
So the Queen has suspended Parliament.
She hasn't suspended Parliament, she has prorogued it on the advice of her Prime Minister and she is constitutionally-bound to act on that advice.

There is nothing illegal or constitutionally iffy about it, however the length of the prorogation itself is clearly designed to frustrate any attempts by MPs to prevent a no-deal Brexit, or to table a confidence motion in the Government.

It's all a bit ironic considering the Leave campaign told us that Brexit was about strengthening our democracy and "taking back control" for our sovereign Parliament...
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mempete
I wish they just get on with it!! Its killing my British company pension with the exchange rate.
Although i didnt have to get any dollars for travelling with on my way back, they were offering £1. = $1.025 at Heathrow on Saturday.
If you think your pension is being killed now, just wait for your November payment. And all payments thereafter.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot
She hasn't suspended Parliament, she has prorogued it on the advice of her Prime Minister and she is constitutionally-bound to act on that advice.

There is nothing illegal or constitutionally iffy about it, however the length of the prorogation itself is clearly designed to frustrate any attempts by MPs to prevent a no-deal Brexit, or to table a confidence motion in the Government.

It's all a bit ironic considering the Leave campaign told us that Brexit was about strengthening our democracy and "taking back control" for our sovereign Parliament...
If that was the intention then why not prorogue over the whole of October? Parliament is normally prorogued in October for conference season. I think there’s about four extra days of parliamentary time being lost this time around to fit in the Queen’s Speech. Hardly a constitutional outrage given we’ve had the longest parliamentary season since the 1660s. If Parliament didn’t want Brexit then it shouldn’t pass the Referendum Act and then the Withdrawal Act.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If that was the intention then why not prorogue over the whole of October? Parliament is normally prorogued in October for conference season. I think there’s about four extra days of parliamentary time being lost this time around to fit in the Queen’s Speech. Hardly a constitutional outrage given we’ve had the longest parliamentary season since the 1660s. If Parliament didn’t want Brexit then it shouldn’t pass the Referendum Act and then the Withdrawal Act.
Excuse me?
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

If that was the intention then why not prorogue over the whole of October?
Because significant amounts of Brexit-related legislation cannot come into force until a Minister of the Crown lays a Standing Order before Parliament stating the date of commencement, and they cannot do that unless Parliament is sitting.

Hardly a constitutional outrage given we’ve had the longest parliamentary season since the 1660s
I'm not really sure what relevance that has to the matter, although it's noteworthy that it was the Parliamentarians who actually prevailed in the Civil War
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Excuse me?
I think they mean the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, which repeals the European Communities Act, specifies the Exit Day and states that Parliament must consent to any Withdrawal Agreement.

The legislation itself is independent of the Withdrawal Agreement though, and we'll still leave without one.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:18 pm
Born again atheist

I think they mean the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, which repeals the European Communities Act, specifies the Exit Day and states that Parliament must consent to any Withdrawal Agreement.

The legislation itself is independent of the Withdrawal Agreement though, and we'll still leave without one.
Thank you
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

How about it being a PUBLIC outrage. I do not care which side of this you are on, the political craziness here from all parties is beyond belief. My nephew is a firm remainer, my brothers are firm leavers with a deal and i firmly believe we should bite the bullet and shut the door with no deal if it be that way .. BUT we all have one thing we are agreed on, we just want it over and done with!
As it stands i can see a lot of us joining the 'Gizza a Job' thread to offset the losses we are suffering from Sterling.
I know a lot of brits that have flipped sides. I am wondering what the general consensus of the ex pats on this site is.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure what relevance that has to the matter, although it's noteworthy that it was the Parliamentarians who actually prevailed in the Civil War
It wasn't the Civil War, it was the Glorious Revolution or Bloodless Revolution of 1688 (well after the Civil War) that installed William and Mary on the throne and stripped the monarchy of the vast majority of its power. It was the start of the Constitutional Monarchy in Britain that means all the power resides with Parliament. The Queen has very little option but to approve a request like this.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 9:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There is, in fact, an extra NINE days, normal time is around 26 days, this time it is 35 days. If they really wanted to give MPs time to debate this the conferences could have been postponed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.