British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/u-s-ban-foreign-visitors-who-have-been-china-within-last-2-weeks-930773/)

spouse of scouse Mar 2nd 2020 3:08 pm

Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12814762)
Yeah - everything in America is in bloody Latin. Pretentious wankers.

Teehee :lol:

robin1234 Mar 2nd 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12814726)
Guardian?

Really? Admittedly the Paper version may be better, I only know what they post on line. BBC and Al Jazerra not bad, NYT is mainly behind a pay wall, not sure I like what I have seen, LA Times is OK.

Paper version of the Guardian? Haven’t looked at it in years. I’ll read magazines in tangible format, but not newspapers. Guardian, I’m fairly sure all the articles in the print paper are available online. But probably not vice versa.

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2020 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12814703)
Andy I don't mean to make light of your fears, really I don't. I do think you tend to catastrophize the virus a bit, but I'm sure some people think I don't worry enough about it.

But mate, killing and eating each other?! I'm sorry but that made me chuckle.

:hysterical: I'm loving it!!! I have spent literally hundreds of hours at work in the last couple of months reading disaster plans and the like for COVID-19 and simiiar illnesses, but this is the first mention of cannibalism that I've come across :eek:

robin1234 Mar 2nd 2020 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12814769)
:hysterical: I'm loving it!!! I have spent literally hundreds of hours at work in the last couple of months reading disaster plans and the like for COVID-19 and simiiar illnesses, but this is the first mention of cannibalism that I've come across :eek:

Well, that’s a good thing.

Isn’t it? :confused:

On second thoughts, take on Andyrebell as a consultant? He’s good at thinking outside the box.

andyrebell Mar 2nd 2020 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12814720)
Posse comitatus?

I’m curious as to where you acquire your US news? Because maybe you should consider switching over to BBC, The Guardian, Al Jazeera, New York Times ... you know, a reality based outfit that employs journalists and such.

Yes that one which forbids the american army being used against the people to put it simply doesn't it? To declare martial would that not have to be invoked or repealed?

robin1234 Mar 2nd 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12814795)
Yes that one which forbids the american army being used against the people to put it simply doesn't it? To declare martial would that not have to be invoked or repealed?

Yes, I believe that’s right. Really, the concept of “martial law” is anathema to Americans. If there is a serious problem maintaining law & order in a region, it should be dealt with by the county or state - not the United States government.

andyrebell Mar 2nd 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12814703)
Andy I don't mean to make light of your fears, really I don't. I do think you tend to catastrophize the virus a bit, but I'm sure some people think I don't worry enough about it.

But mate, killing and eating each other?! I'm sorry but that made me chuckle.

In detroit they already cut each others head off google headless body detroit or dismembered body detroit you will get some really bad stories.

By the time it gets to that stage law and order have completely broken down and anarchy has taken route, and it could. It probably won't but it could. What it Trump decides he had enough of baltimore the way thatcher did liverpool in the 80s. The only difference the number of guns in baltimore, every man for himself no police force worth a damn, nothing to lose. Who knows what could happen.

BenK91 Mar 2nd 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12814814)
In detroit they already cut each others head off google headless body detroit or dismembered body detroit you will get some really bad stories.

90% of the reason I visit this thread is to read your crackhead responses. :lol:

kimilseung Mar 2nd 2020 4:27 pm

PSA
The Walking Dead, isn't a documentary.

andyrebell Mar 2nd 2020 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12814803)
Yes, I believe that’s right. Really, the concept of “martial law” is anathema to Americans. If there is a serious problem maintaining law & order in a region, it should be dealt with by the county or state - not the United States government.

I doubt Trump would be allowed to do it to be fair. IF it does go really bad in some parts of america like Detroit and Baltimore (I picked on those cities because I know they are really rough) or others for that matter then Trump has to make that decision and that is the election right there. Trump gets that wrong he is out. And if it gets to a kent state type situation then he has lost hasn't he.

robin1234 Mar 2nd 2020 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12814849)
I doubt Trump would be allowed to do it to be fair. IF it does go really bad in some parts of america like Detroit and Baltimore (I picked on those cities because I know they are really rough) or others for that matter then Trump has to make that decision and that is the election right there. Trump gets that wrong he is out. And if it gets to a kent state type situation then he has lost hasn't he.

Again, the type of situations you describe would be state, not federal, responsibilities. It was Ohio National Guardsmen who killed people at Kent State. So no, we wouldn’t be relying on President Trump to make a decision.

Pollyana Mar 3rd 2020 12:37 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12814780)
Well, that’s a good thing.

Isn’t it? :confused:

On second thoughts, take on Andyrebell as a consultant? He’s good at thinking outside the box.

:D :D

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2020 1:16 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12814855)
Again, the type of situations you describe would be state, not federal, responsibilities. It was Ohio National Guardsmen who killed people at Kent State. So no, we wouldn’t be relying on President Trump to make a decision.

I often think many not from the US and complain about the federal government about things they don't control, lack the knowledge of how many different levels of government there is in the US and who does what.

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2020 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12814769)

We'd be safe Polly, they'd eat the young tender ones first :thumbsup:

Dorothy Mar 3rd 2020 7:31 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12815117)
We'd be safe Polly, they'd eat the young tender ones first :thumbsup:

I told my husband that if worse came to worst I could butcher him and fill the freezer - I'd be ok for food. He was very quick to remind me that fatty foods really play havoc with my stomach.