British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/u-s-ban-foreign-visitors-who-have-been-china-within-last-2-weeks-930773/)

andyrebell Feb 27th 2020 4:40 pm

Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12812928)
Which sources?

Bangkok times is one apparently. I googled coronavirus us travel ban and a story came up. "He is thinking but they are not there yet apparently". He hasn't got the balls I don't think to create that poo storm which if he hasn't once again raises the question as to the true motive for Chinese travel ban to begin with.

scrubbedexpat096 Feb 27th 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12812934)
Bangkok times is one apparently. I googled coronavirus us travel ban and a story came up. "He is thinking but they are not there yet apparently". He hasn't got the balls I don't think to create that poo storm which if he hasn't once again raises the question as to the true motive for Chinese travel ban to begin with.

I'm 90% sure the "Bangkok times" doesn't exist.....

Could you perhaps provide a source...

andyrebell Feb 27th 2020 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12812937)
I'm 90% sure the "Bangkok times" doesn't exist.....

Could you perhaps provide a source...

Try bangkok post instead. My bad.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...ew-travel-bans

scrubbedexpat096 Feb 27th 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12812938)

Interesting that no other (that I could see) news outlet has put that spin on it...

Jerseygirl Feb 27th 2020 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12812931)
We did a crossing in a storm once. It stayed in port in brooklyn and done the crossing in 4 days. We managed to avoid most of the storm that sent the NCL breakaway back to manhattan with widespread damage when the captain caught the outside of the storm.

we stayed in port in Brooklyn overnight to allow the hurricane that was moving up the east coast to go past, but our crossing took 7 days. That was beginning of Jan 2018. That evening we saw a NCL ship sail past, it was heading south down the east coast straight into the hurricane. ‘What are they thinking’ we thought. The ship was badly damaged and had to turn back.

andyrebell Feb 27th 2020 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12812943)
Interesting that no other (that I could see) news outlet has put that spin on it...

It is the only news article to carry a story of an updated ban. Personally I don't see how you can enforce against Italy without removing it from the visa waiver program and refusing visa processing at this time because they can just go to a neighbouring country and board a USA flight. It would very hard to show when they entered that country as to my knowledge passports are not stamped for EU citizens within EU and you can just drive straight through europe or fly to a none banned country. I don't think Italy would take with that ban very well either.

andyrebell Feb 27th 2020 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12812946)
we stayed in port in Brooklyn overnight to allow the hurricane that was moving up the east coast to go past, but our crossing took 7 days. That was beginning of Jan 2018. That evening we saw a NCL ship sail past, it was heading south down the east coast straight into the hurricane. ‘What are they thinking’ we thought. The ship was badly damaged and had to turn back.

Yes it was. You must have been on the same one as me then! :D. We stayed overnight in Brooklyn. Stayed a bit longer the next day then left very slowly through the Long Island Sound for a couple of days and into the open sea we only went about 300 miles in 3 days and then put down the hammer down and we went 29 knots for 4 days to make up the time and pulled in southampton on time. Mac Frampton was the guest on board the piano player and those 2 girls on the violins were pretty good as well. Me and m,y dad were sat next to Frampton at dinner.

We had done the 26 night cunard b2b with NCL Gem in the middle round the caribbean. Good trip. Captain of the breakway should have been sacked for that that ship could have overturned.

Pulaski Feb 27th 2020 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12812946)

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12812952)
Yes it was. You must have been on the same one as me then! :D. We stayed overnight in Brooklyn. Stayed a bit longer the next day then left very slowly through the Long Island Sound for a couple of days and into the open sea we only went about 300 miles in 3 days and then put down the hammer down and we went 29 knots for 4 days to make up the time and pulled in southampton on time. Mac Frampton was the guest on board the piano player and those 2 girls on the violins were pretty good as well. Me and m,y dad were sat next to Frampton at dinner.

We had done the 26 night cunard b2b with NCL Gem in the middle round the caribbean. Good trip. Captain of the breakway should have been sacked for that that ship could have overturned.

Why don't you two just get a room, er, cabin. :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Feb 27th 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12812952)

my sister and BIL joined the ship in Southampton and we made our way down to Cape Town. We did the same trip just before last Christmas.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12812962)
Why don't you two just get a room, er, cabin. :rolleyes:

​​​​​​​:eek:

Yankashire Feb 28th 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire (Post 12802266)
This has actually become a touchy issue, as the linguistic balance in Switzerland has been carefully maintained for hundreds of years. There have even been suggestions to make English Switzerland's fourth official language.

You may also have had the experience traveling in Europe (or elsewhere) that some people are very sensitive now about the steady creep of English words into the local language. I know this is happening in Germany. For example, I would see "Customer Service" desks, without the equivalent German term. You also find cafes, bars, and so on where the staff will only speak English. I think it's difficult and disorienting, in particular, for older people whose English is not great.

I came across this article today on an unrelated search, and was reminded of this conversation...

German minister says too many people are speaking English in Berlin - BBC Newsbeat

Interestingly, the minister in question is Jens Spahn, who is on the short list of candidates to be the next leader of the CDU, Chancellor Merkel's party. So there is a chance we may be hearing more from him 😂

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 28th 2020 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire (Post 12813476)
I came across this article today on an unrelated search, and was reminded of this conversation...

German minister says too many people are speaking English in Berlin - BBC Newsbeat

Interestingly, the minister in question is Jens Spahn, who is on the short list of candidates to be the next leader of the CDU, Chancellor Merkel's party. So there is a chance we may be hearing more from him 😂

Kind of like Quebec in Canada, but they have made various language laws and have the so called language police to enforce the laws to protect French. Language can be a heated argument in Quebec.

Yankashire Feb 28th 2020 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12813482)
Kind of like Quebec in Canada, but they have made various language laws and have the so called language police to enforce the laws to protect French. Language can be a heated argument in Quebec.

Quebec is ridiculous – I don't know that Germany has an equivalent of the OQLF (the Quebec "language police"), or even the Tourbon Law in France. I do know that Standard German is the official language of Germany, and that the use of German is appreciated, particularly in the countryside.

At least one German jurisdiction did recently introduce court proceedings in English for international business disputes, probably in an effort to steal some London thunder post-Brexit, although I haven't heard much about that since that procedure became available... As I recall, this required some sort of law change, because the relevant German law said something like, "the language of the courts is German."

robin1234 Feb 29th 2020 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12813482)

And yet - if you’re in Montreal, or Quebec City, or (presumably) other towns and cities that cater to tourists and foreigners and anglophones, you can get by simply using English - because virtually everyone in a customer-facing job is either bilingual, or trilingual (since they might speak Chinese, or Arabic, or Urdu or whatever at home.) I find this really impressive and admirable.

And I don’t speak English in Quebec out of arrogance, just because my French really isn’t good enough. The turning point for me was many years ago, my wife and I were queuing up in Tim Hortons to buy two plain bagels with cream cheese and two medium coffees. While queuing, I rehearsed exactly how to say it in French. Apparently my French was good enough, but the guy asked me a follow up question in French. I had no idea what he was saying. So he asked in English, did I want butter too (apparently a Canadian thing.) Since that incident, I’ve given up the attempt to speak French.

spouse of scouse Feb 29th 2020 4:56 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12813582)
The turning point for me was many years ago, my wife and I were queuing up in Tim Hortons to buy two plain bagels with cream cheese and two medium coffees. While queuing, I rehearsed exactly how to say it in French. Apparently my French was good enough, but the guy asked me a follow up question in French. I had no idea what he was saying. So he asked in English, did I want butter too (apparently a Canadian thing.) Since that incident, I’ve given up the attempt to speak French.

:lol:

I only tried speaking French outside the classroom once, unfortunately it was to a snooty waiter in Paris. We all know how that turned out :o

robin1234 Feb 29th 2020 8:14 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12813592)
:lol:

I only tried speaking French outside the classroom once, unfortunately it was to a snooty waiter in Paris. We all know how that turned out :o

Last time I was in Paris things had improved considerably. None of the wait people were white-French.