Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trump's immigration reform - H1B visas may be next

Trump's immigration reform - H1B visas may be next

Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump's immigration reform - H1B visas may be next

Originally Posted by mrken30
It's a lot easier to move people than it is to move a plant. Having people working in the US means they pay US taxes. If you force those people to move overseas they do not pay US taxes. It doesn't create new jobs, because the job has not become open, it has just move countries.
Exactly this.

As an aside, I DO think H1-B warrants tightening up... I just don't think this is the way to do it.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot easier to move people than it is to move a plant. Having people working in the US means they pay US taxes. If you force those people to move overseas they do not pay US taxes. It doesn't create new jobs, because the job has not become open, it has just move countries. .....
It's a lot easier to move photons and electrons than people. ..... And the people bring a need for housing, roads, schools, hospitals, water, etc. and you can't just keep adding people just because they generate tax revenue, not least because the problems of congestion, overcrowded schools, too little water are primarily burdens on the existing population ..... which is presumably part of the reason why Donald Trump was elected.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a lot easier to move photons and electrons than people. ..... And the people bring a need for housing, roads, schools, hospitals, water, etc. and you can't just keep adding people just because they generate tax revenue, not least because the problems of congestion, overcrowded schools, too little water are primarily burdens on the existing population ..... which is presumably part of the reason why Donald Trump was elected.
The answer is an electron tax. Or do what the French want to do, tax robots.

Leonid Bershidsky: The latest bad idea from France: Tax those darned job-stealing … robots? | Financial Post
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:12 pm
Banned

common has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond repute

Ford and GM make cars overseas, many parts for Boeing are now made in Korea and China, as are most Apple products, GE has manufacturing in many countries, as do Dow Corp and DuPont, so why should it be any different for Google, Amazon, FarceBook, and the massive tech "consulants" such as Deloitte?
I agree, its a global economy and its tough for one country to control it. Trump can impose import taxes on cars made overseas but its impossible to put a tax on "virtual" companies who conduct business on line and do not have any physical product that is imported.

I have heard many opinions against H1-Bs and the abuse. Some people arguing that a governments number one jobs is to protect its own citizens.

I wonder how many expats here came over on a H1-B or similar? I came over on an H1-B, its very risky. If your industry is struggling and you lose your job you have to leave. I came over soon after university all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I then lost my job under a H1-B and I've also lost my past two jobs due to office closures and relocation of jobs to countries like India and Latvia.

I find myself wanting to ask my kids not only what job do they want to do when they are older, but also what job do they want to keep when they are older.

Last edited by common; Feb 1st 2017 at 6:18 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

not least because the problems of congestion, overcrowded schools, too little water are primarily burdens on the existing population ..... which is presumably part of the reason why Donald Trump was elected.
This problem isn't helped by the lack of sex education and the attitude towards birth control.

I have several work colleagues who have 7 or 8 kids, in the UK is was very uncommon to have that many kids. I would be lucky to find one person.

Reducing population helps to provide everyone with jobs. Whether that's through wars or birth control.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Reducing population helps to provide everyone with jobs. Whether that's through wars or birth control.
I don't entirely agree with this point. Surely reducing the population of people unable to work, for example by training and education, reducing barriers etc. is a positive solution.

Remember that not all people go on to be only job consumers... many people go on to be job creators, so encouraging entrepreneurialism and reducing red-tape is key too.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a lot easier to move people than it is to move a plant. Having people working in the US means they pay US taxes. If you force those people to move overseas they do not pay US taxes. It doesn't create new jobs, because the job has not become open, it has just move countries.

On a side note

According to the Palm Beach Post, Trump won approval from the U.S. Labor Department in October to hire 64 foreign workers through the H-2B visa program, which allows eligible U.S. employers to hire foreign nationals to fill temporary jobs.
Trump hired 69 workers through the same program last year.
Probably not a good idea to move mid production, but for new products, significant new investment that would be the time to move.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by common
..... I find myself wanting to ask my kids not only what job do they want to do when they are older, but also what job do they want to keep when they are older.
That's the nature of industry and commerce - and it is hard to predict 40 years ahead what careers will still be around, and impossible to predict what new opportunities will appear.

My father worked in the steel industry in Sheffield and I think could see the end coming and left Sheffield as there were no opportunities to progress. He worked at a steel foundry in Gloucester until it closed, and later at one in Chippenham, until that closed too, and that was the end of his career in the steel foundries - more than a decade befor he was ready to retire.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Coal, Agriculture, Steel and Auto.

None of my family left in any of them and not much Auto left so that leaves Agriculture.

I have a feeling those farms have all been built on.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Prostitution has been around for years and will continue to be around for a long while yet. But not a career choice I would want for anyone.

Probably a better bet would be a plumber or electrician. However the job market fluctuates wildly with the housing market.

Not much chance of getting an H1B though.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 1st 2017 at 7:04 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Prostitution has been around for years and will continue to be around for a long while yet. But not a career choice I would want for anyone.

Hey, $5 is $5....
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:22 pm
Banned

common has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond reputecommon has a reputation beyond repute

He worked at a steel foundry in Gloucester until it closed, and later at one in Chippenham, until that closed too, and that was the end of his career in the steel foundries - more than a decade befor he was ready to retire.
Well hopefully he enjoyed an early retirement. I was not aware of a steel foundry in Chippenham. I had a grandfather who worked nearby at the C&T Harris pork processing factory in Calne. He got to work his whole life there making Wiltshire cured bacon

He would never eat a pork sausage though ...
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by common
Well hopefully he enjoyed an early retirement. .....
No, he found work as a school lab technician, the money was pitiful, but he enjoyed the job well enough and it kept him out of mischief. As it was at a private school he enjoyed very long holidays. He didn't eventually retire until his 70th birthday.
I was not aware of a steel foundry in Chippenham. ....
You didn't know of the Westinghouse plant? ..... part of it was an iron and steel foundry.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:48 pm
Banned

You didn't know of the Westinghouse plant? ..... part of it was an iron and steel foundry.
No sorry, but I was only 11 years old when I left the area. My dad was based at RAF Lyneham at the time, not many 11 year olds have flown on a Hercules
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:51 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trump will have to shake up/axe the h1b visa and probably the Australian employment visa category if he wants to be this great "jobs president" that he has pledged to be. 65,000 jobs per year being taking away from american college graduates per year. That is more half a million in the last decade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.