Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tracking someone down

Tracking someone down

Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:42 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tracking someone down

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I do not know what state you are in, but do a google on small claims court for your state, and it will give you easy info what to do.

You can in California serve them at their work address, but the county has to named as the county that the incident took place in.

Its really easy to do and will cost you about $50 well in CA it does
The "incident" has no county and they moved states after the "incident".
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:48 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonic5
As I have no idea what state you are in use this link as a guideline and use a simular one for your state.

You can sue them in the state they are living in now.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp...sanjoaquin.htm

I would suggest looking up the local small claims office in your area and going to see them or call and find out the local process.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:26 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have the person's email address and cellphone number.
If they won't give me their address, why is it not reasonable to award me the reasonable costs to find this out?

I can't follow them from work because they know my car and they often finish work early in the morning when there are few, if any, cars left in parking lots and also in the road when I would follow them.

Also, if I took a day off work to do this when they working during the day, I would have to be sure they were working during the day on that particular day (not possible to find out without alerting the person) and also, I would have to take a day off and lose a day's pay, which is a significant amount in relation to the money owed.

People like you really piss me off. You have been give many different options, but always there is "something" that gets in the way. It's too dark, it's too early, they know my car, they know my face, I know where they work..maybe, why won't the judge give me money that I can't substantiate. It's less than $1000. Forget about it and move on with your life, consider it the cost of doing business or of your former stupidity...pick one.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:40 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Michelmas
People like you really piss me off. You have been give many different options, but always there is "something" that gets in the way. It's too dark, it's too early, they know my car, they know my face, I know where they work..maybe, why won't the judge give me money that I can't substantiate. It's less than $1000. Forget about it and move on with your life, consider it the cost of doing business or of your former stupidity...pick one.
People like you shouldn't be on these kinds of forums.
Clearly you have other serious mental health issues about your life that you are unaware of and which come out in anger-filled rants like the one above and which were not solicited.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He makes a fair point though...if your not prepared to put any money down on someone to find and file this guy, don't bother, it won't be worth the money or the hassle for less than a grand.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:57 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I am not trying to argue with you, but I have to ask..Why do you feel that anything under $1000 should be forgotten about!

If someone is owed money then why should they not claim it back what ever the amount!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am not trying to argue with you, but I have to ask..Why do you feel that anything under $1000 should be forgotten about!

If someone is owed money then why should they not claim it back what ever the amount!
You'll spend more recovering it than it's worth. Just because you win in small claims doesn't mean the check magically lands in your pocket.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll spend more recovering it than it's worth. Just because you win in small claims doesn't mean the check magically lands in your pocket.
For sure but for $50 I would pursue it, especially once they see the implications of what might happen if they don't.

This will be your only chance to settle this matter before I will file a suit against you in the Small Claims Court. I am agreeable to a lump sum payment, or to a payment plan. Please contact me on or before ....., 2009 for purposes of settling this matter. If I do not hear from you on or before ......, I will file a lawsuit against you without further notice. It is in your best interest to settle this matter before a lawsuit is filed. If a judgment is obtained against you, it will negatively affect your ability to get credit, you will be ordered to pay court costs, and you will incur interest at a rate of 10% per annum.

The above worked for me, and it might just stir the culprit up enough to realise that Sonic means action.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 5th 2009 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:25 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly you have other serious mental health issues about your life that you are unaware of and which come out in anger-filled rants like the one above and which were not solicited.
Please don't use "serious mental health issues" as an insult, just call him a fool if you think that's the case.

Meanwhile - it might pay to be a bit less cagey e.g. by giving a two sentence summary of what the dispute was about and WHERE YOU LIVE. No-one wants to know your business but there's a tradeoff between detail and the usefulness of advice.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:27 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

NB IIRC you can't always serve your own processes on people (that's what the CA small court info above says for instance) - it varies from state to state.
Somewhere has to have jurisdiction.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

For sure but for $50 I would pursue it, especially once they see the implications of what might happen if they don't.

This will be your only chance to settle this matter before I will file a suit against you in the Small Claims Court. I am agreeable to a lump sum payment, or to a payment plan. Please contact me on or before ....., 2009 for purposes of settling this matter. If I do not hear from you on or before ......, I will file a lawsuit against you without further notice. It is in your best interest to settle this matter before a lawsuit is filed. If a judgment is obtained against you, it will negatively affect your ability to get credit, you will be ordered to pay court costs, and you will incur interest at a rate of 10% per annum.

The above worked for me, and it might just stir the culprit up enough to realise that Sonic means action.
It wouldn't budge me!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:05 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

He's in NC as he was asking about car insurance in a few days ago..

Here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618205
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It wouldn't budge me!
Dare I admit his lol, but you are intelligent enough to blow it off...I a think it would put the wind up a few lesser intellectual folk.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:32 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

You can think what you like, but it was totally solicited. Your opening sentence indicated "I want to do this at no cost" You have been given so many ways to do this at minimal expense and yet you have rejected almost every one. I and others offered helpful suggestions and all you did was whine about it. They know your car, so borrow a friends, the road isn't busy and they may spot you, you didn't even try so how do you know.

[this is also addressed to poppy] You said that the cost to take a day off would be "a significant amount in relation to the money owed" This tells me either you are very well paid [which I doubt] or the ammount owed is so small as not to be overly concerned with.

If you're going to be cagey about the facts, then expect some responses that may not suit your needs, but in that case, be more courteous to those who responded rather than dismissing them off handedly.

And even though we have taken opposing viewpoints in the past, I agree with Fatbrit. You may get a judgement, but that doesn't mean you'll get paid, and you'll still be out $$.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:41 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Wanker

(I think you'll find that the general opinion is that people like you shouldn't be on these kinds of forums, but luckily we live in a world where people like you can't decide who frequents any kind of forum at all)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.