Wikiposts

Toddlers

Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toddlers

Originally Posted by mrken30
You'd be surprised how many people survive airline accidents, the most famous one recently was the Hudson landing. ....
I agree, ones that don't involve impact are eminently survivable these days, but assuming the plane goes out of control at a low enough altitude that decompression doesn't cause everyone to black out, then a dive from even 100ft could easily be fatal and/or cause a catastrophic fire. .... And if your head is down, "braced for impact" you will likely break your neck.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Thanks for the info. When she was under 2, we opted to take her as a lap child, and it was still allowed. We considered the same concerns you outlined, but decided not to purchase a seat because (a) it is very expensive (b) she wouldn't sit in it for much of the flight and (c) during a catastrophic accident most people do not survive anyway. I completely understand that lots of people may decide differently, but suffice to say we thought long and hard about it and were not simply cavalier about it. Also, if you do get a seat with a bassinet, they are not allowed to be in the bassinet during takeoff and landing. I liked that the bassinet had straps that went over the top to prevent falling out during turbulence. It was also interesting that on the non-US airlines we flew, they provided seatbelt extensions that she had to wear during take off and landing sitting on our laps. Those were never provided or required on any US airlines we flew.

In any event, the whole point is now moot, bc she is way over 2 and legally needs her own seat now 😄
We bought the diono seat which is FAA approved and folds in half. The other advantage is that you can fit 3 seats across most cars.It fits children up to about age 12 ish. not all car seats are FAA approved. The other advantage of taking your own car seat is that you can use it in the rental car if you are getting one. You don't know the history of the ones you get from rental companies.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the diono seat which is FAA approved and folds in half. The other advantage is that you can fit 3 seats across most cars.It fits children up to about age 12 ish. not all car seats are FAA approved. The other advantage of taking your own car seat is that you can use it in the rental car if you are getting one. You don't know the history of the ones you get from rental companies.
Great info, thanks. I will look into it further.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree, ones that don't involve impact are eminently survivable these days, but assuming the plane goes out of control at a low enough altitude that decompression doesn't cause everyone to black out, then a dive from even 100ft could easily be fatal and/or cause a catastrophic fire. .... And if your head is down, "braced for impact" you will likely break your neck.
So not true.
Completely busted by mythbusters for a start.
Also investigated extensively after the keg worth aircrash in the UK. Where a lot of people ended up with broken legs due to their legs whipping forward.
The brace position is designed to protect your head from impact and your limbs from whipping forward.
I'll post some links when I'm at home and not on my phone
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the brace position just to stop your head from flinging forward and smashing into the seat in front?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Isn't the brace position just to stop your head from flinging forward and smashing into the seat in front?
Exactly that, so the the head is a relatively lower velocity when it hits the seat.

F = mv2/R
Old Jul 12th 2016, 5:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly that, so the the head is a relatively lower velocity when it hits the seat. ....
So your head and neck only impact the seat at 200+mph (approximate take-off/landing speed of a commercial jet), as opposed to faster because of any additional whip effect.

I am not saying that sitting up is better, just that you're §çrëwed either way of the plane slams into the ground.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2016 at 6:15 am.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i am guessing the stall speed of a 777 is about 100 knots as the approach speed is normally 1.3 times Vso. This is an interesting table

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...oachspeeds.pdf
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This looks like a neat alternative to carrying a car seat onto a plane
RideSafer Travel Vest | Safer Travel Car Seat, Fit 3 Across...
Old Jul 14th 2016, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have long suspected that the "put your head down" brace maneuver for airline passengers is designed to ensure that everyone breaks their neck and dies quickly.
I heard it was help protect the teeth to aid identification if required. Probably not true. It is true that the vast majority of plane crashes are survivable though. I was present at the 777 crash at Heathrow 8 or so years ago. I don't have the pics anymore, but plenty online. Lost power about 500 feet, the plane dropped into the undershoot, one of the rear gear structures came up the through the floor into the cabin. The worst injury was a broken leg.

Back on topic, my 20 month old is picking up words now. Her latest, taught by my wife, is fartsen. Now when she lets go of a gust, she looks at you and goes I fartsen. That's my girl. Cracks me up overtime. Occasionally she tell you I poo poo, although generally, we don't need to be told to know LOL.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I heard it was help protect the teeth to aid identification if required. Probably not true. It is true that the vast majority of plane crashes are survivable though. I was present at the 777 crash at Heathrow 8 or so years ago. I don't have the pics anymore, but plenty online. Lost power about 500 feet, the plane dropped into the undershoot, one of the rear gear structures came up the through the floor into the cabin. The worst injury was a broken leg.

Back on topic, my 20 month old is picking up words now. Her latest, taught by my wife, is fartsen. Now when she lets go of a gust, she looks at you and goes I fartsen. That's my girl. Cracks me up overtime. Occasionally she tell you I poo poo, although generally, we don't need to be told to know LOL.
I love when they first start talking.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago when our Norwegian granddaughters were visiting with their parents, I was unwittingly responsible for teaching the baby her first words in English. After changing her nappy I would say, as a wrap-up, "there we go!" And those were the words she mimicked, in a much stronger Australian accent than mine, every time I did my duty from then on. My wife and I still use the expression around the house, as a wrap-up.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I love when they first start talking.
There was a point when I was sitting around wondering when he was going to start talking. Now he won't shut up.

In other news, just discovered a daycare rule I wasn't aware of. Apparently if your child hits another child to the extent that they draw blood, they are sent home for the day.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There was a point when I was sitting around wondering when he was going to start talking. Now he won't shut up.

In other news, just discovered a daycare rule I wasn't aware of. Apparently if your child hits another child to the extent that they draw blood, they are sent home for the day.
Just one day, that's not too bad. What happens if they knock the other kid unconscious?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just one day, that's not too bad. What happens if they knock the other kid unconscious?
Don't want to find out, I doubt there is a UFC Toddler Championship belt handed out.

Later tonight we'll have to wrestle him to the ground and trim his finger nails too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.