Wikiposts

Tips, should I?

Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, should I?

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Tip at least $1.00 per drink. Most people in NYC tip $2. If you are running a tab tip 15-20% on the tab. In NYC 15% is considerd on the low end .Also I do not get paid alot more than the waitstaff where I work. I get paid $5.00 more per shift and I also work 2-3 hours longer than them. I have no barback so I have to get all my own ice and restock the bar myself. I work in a highly rated zagat restaurant. We also just went up a point on service from last year. We also have 2 stars from the NY Times. Service is a very big part of where I work.
See...I think it's a very state dependant thing...in Mass, you've got to be state certified and over 21 to work behind the bar, but you don't need to be for wait staff or work in a bar etc.

Costs a couple hundred getting certified.

No requirements like that in Maine though.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I know how much thanks. It's who and when that's the problem most people find, as is being discussed.
I'm a USC and I find it very difficult to know exactly when and how much to tip. I've called girlfriends before when I had someone delivering furniture ... "Help! Should I tip? How much"? It IS confusing, don't feel bad.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Post lady and trash collector get $20 at Christmas.
I've never tipped either of these. Out of curiosity, how do you tip them? I never see them and wouldn't know.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I've never tipped either of these. Out of curiosity, how do you tip them? I never see them and wouldn't know.
I put the money in a Christmas card and put it in the mail box...I tape it onto the top of the garbage sack so they can see it when the take the bin lid off.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I put the money in a Christmas card and put it in the mail box...I tape it onto the top of the garbage sack so they can see it when the take the bin lid off.
Ours use a truck though that picks up the bin and dumps it. I'm afraid they wouldn't see it. Good idea for the postman. Ours appears to have a knee injury and I've always thought that must be a tough job for him.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
posties aren't allowed to accept cash apparently...giftcard to dunkin' doughnuts or home depot do the trick, in the post box because they're supposed to pick your mail for you....but as ours is useless and doesn't, he doesn't get a tip either
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
posties aren't allowed to accept cash apparently...giftcard to dunkin' doughnuts or home depot do the trick, in the post box because they're supposed to pick your mail for you....but as ours is useless and doesn't, he doesn't get a tip either
That's good to know. Thanks!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:10 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
Say I'm sitting at the bar, and pint is $3 - $4, if I tip $1 for every drink, that is a tip of between 25% and 33%, much higher than the norm for a waitress/waiter, that seems unfair on the waitress/waiter as I perceive them to work harder for me than the bartender. Doesn't a $1 tip seem excessive?
You can run a tab and tip on the whole tab. Also there are buybacks here that you don't get in the UK. I always give my regulars a drink on the house. Sometimes two. I also pour generously for my regulars. The pours here are at least double than that in the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:14 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
See...I think it's a very state dependant thing...in Mass, you've got to be state certified and over 21 to work behind the bar, but you don't need to be for wait staff or work in a bar etc.

Costs a couple hundred getting certified.

No requirements like that in Maine though.
In NY state you have to be 18 to bartend and to serve alcohol as a server .Although I don't know any bar or restaurant in NYC that would hire a bartender under 21 but I'm sure they are there. You don't need to be certified but I had to get a TIPS certificate which is an alcohol training certificate from a class for a catering company I work in . New York City is also going to be requiring bartender sto take a Food Protection course like chefs do as well. I have already taken that and have my certificate from there as well.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:17 pm

I know how to show my bartender the love.

Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:31 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

As this is a tips thread I have a question?

I am going to have my hair colored by a Paul Mitchell student and its going to be a new me .....what kinda tip should I give the student for doing this make-over?? any thoughts please.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
its going to be a new me .....
That looks funny - are you going for blue?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:36 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That looks funny - are you going for blue?
Hell I hope not, I am going to go back to a brunette with blonde frosting ..I wanted to go red but it won't take unless it was a henna red and thats too drastic.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hell I hope not, I am going to go back to a brunette with blonde frosting ..I wanted to go red but it won't take unless it was a henna red and thats too drastic.
It sounds nice. Don't know about the tip, though
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

.what kinda tits should I give the student for doing this make-over?? any thoughts please.
big ones ...lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.