Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is the term 'Dear' offensive or not? Off topic posts moved from Legal Name thread

Is the term 'Dear' offensive or not? Off topic posts moved from Legal Name thread

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Chapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the term 'Dear' offensive or not? Off topic posts moved from Legal Name thread

Well i am so sorry i answered your question WRONG Charelle.....It is a public forum and you will get what people have to say in THEIR opinion of such a matter.

* Note*
To all you people who think 'Dear' is offensive then Oh well i'm sorry....This is the first time in 50 years i have ever heard of such thing, it's complete ass wiping and sob sob, all a bit over sensitive i'd say, i was trying to be nice and delicate with such matter and be helpful, but i shan't bother again with any of your threads!! Bye.

Last edited by Chapdawg; Apr 23rd 2016 at 11:07 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal name

Originally Posted by Chapdawg
Well i am so sorry i answered your question WRONG Charelle.....It is a public forum and you will get what people have to say in THEIR opinion of such a matter.

* Note*
To all you people who think 'Dear' is offensive then Oh well i'm sorry....This is the first time in 50 years i have ever heard of such thing, it's complete ass wiping and sob sob, all a bit over sensitive i'd say, i was trying to be nice and delicate with such matter and be helpful, but i shan't bother again with any of your threads!! Bye.
There are ways and places where calling someone 'dear' is appropriate.......that condescending way of speaking to a stranger isn't one of them as has been pointed out in the Australia forum on many occasions!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Chapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond reputeChapdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are ways and places where calling someone 'dear' is appropriate.......that condescending way of speaking to a stranger isn't one of them as has been pointed out in the Australia forum on many occasions!
And if I may dare ask , Who makes the decision that it is "condescending" or "inappropriate"..... Surely the Australians arent all wrong too?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And if I may dare ask , Who makes the decision that it is "condescending" or "inappropriate"..... Surely the Australians arent all wrong too?
I thought you'd left.

Only one person on this thread doesn't see that it is obvious when someone is condescending. If a stranger in the street asks you for help and you start calling them "dear", when would that not appear condescending?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2016 at 2:55 am.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought you'd left.

Only one person on this thread doesn't see that it is obvious when someone is condescending. If a stranger in the street asks you for help and you start calling them "dear", when would that not appear condescending?
Where I grew up in England you here it all the time , you commonly hear people asking for the time, and you say it's 10 o'clock my dear blah blah, The word 'dear' is often used when you don't know somebody's name...I use it daily for my business and after 20 years, I have never ever ever ever had anybody roll her eyes, call me a sleazeball or frown upon my address to them.

It just amazes me that so many people say it but yet are considered wrong for doing so .
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've refrained from jumping in until now. I recommend new members take time to read the forums...get to know the players before you post.

I think you've got off on the wrong foot. Yes...using the the term 'dear' is seen as extremely patronising. So how do we put that to rights? Firstly...sorry I didn't realise...would probably be best.

Stick with us...we are a nice bunch if folk really. You just have to get to know us before you jump n feet first.

Where I grew up in England you here it all the time , you commonly hear people asking for the time, and you say it's 10 o'clock my dear blah blah, The word 'dear' is often used when you don't know somebody's name...I use it daily for my business and after 20 years, I have never ever ever ever had anybody roll her eyes, call me a sleazeball or frown upon my address to them.

It just amazes me that so many people say it but yet are considered wrong for doing so .

I'm aghast...or gob smacked...I've never heard the term 'my dear' as anything but patronising.

Anyway...this is taking this thread off topic...so let's move on...please.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 24th 2016 at 3:06 am.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've refrained from jumping in until now. I recommend new members take time to read the forums...get to know the players before you post.

I think you've got off on the wrong foot. Yes...using the the term 'dear' is seen as extremely patronising. So how do we put that to rights? Firstly...sorry I didn't realise...would probably be best.

Stick with us...we are a nice bunch if folk really. You just have to get to know us before you jump n feet first.
I appreciate it but I see nothing but a bunch of hypocrites on here, politically correct wanna be's, Trouble makers, shit stirrers, count me out! Chow.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I grew up in England you here it all the time
What area of England is that and what decade? Not being awkward, honestly interested.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate it but I see nothing but a bunch of hypocrites on here, politically correct wanna be's, Trouble makers, shit stirrers, count me out! Chow.
Pulaski, there's a first time for everything!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to say...but your reply to me suggests that it is you that should take a long, hard look through the mirror.

If you decide to leave us as per your previous post...then so be it...but I hope you decide to change your manner and stick around. Your choice...
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Pulaski, there's a first time for everything! .....
How do you know I don't want to be politically correct? .... I'm finding it a real struggle though!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:17 am

Relatives and neighbours said it to me when I was a child in Sheffield, and it was, and probably still is used when talking to a friend or neighbour. But IMO to start offering advice to someone you have only just "met", and when the advice is not being well received, to start calling someone "dear", is where you went off the rails.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the term 'Dear' offensive or not? Off topic posts moved from Legal Name thre

Originally Posted by chapdawg
As someone said further up the thread its not the Australians doing it. It is a term often used in the Aus forums by Indians and Pakistanis, and is seen as extremely patronising because of the way it is used - the same as the way you were using it.

To call a personal friend 'dear', and to use the term face to face, is very different from using it to a complete stranger on a forum, as I and others have already said.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:49 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the term 'Dear' offensive or not? Off topic posts moved from Legal Name thre

Chow as in 'dog', chow as in 'food', or ciao as in 'goodbye'?

I'm honestly curious.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Chapdawg, I honestly do not believe you did grow up in England if you think it is normal to address people as "dear". The only time I would address somebody with that word is in a formal letter and I start with "Dear Chapdawg".

The only time I have seen the word "dear" being used as you are using it is in the Austalian immigration forum by posters from the subcontinent. Would drive us mad in fact I have put repeat offenders on ignore. It is highly patronising, you have to trust us on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.