Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry

Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 9:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
The latest annoying word for me and the OH is "look". We are noticing it a lot, with politicians and journalists starting a sentence with it.
Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Annoying words: "like" , "honestly" , "literally"

When speaking, what's the deal with everyone starting a sentence with "honestly" ? Does this mean the person is only being honest when they start a stence with "honestly". This was not common in the 90s and early 2000s.
And "basically".
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 7:45 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like vocal fry, you'll love cursive singing. Once you put a name to it, you hear it everywhere:
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I like cursive singing then, as I like nearly every one of those songs and singers.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Further to my earlier post, here’s a really interesting article from NPR about radio voices, and how some younger reporters and commentators have in the past felt pressure to adapt their voices to traditional white, Midwest, middle class radio norms.

https://www.npr.org/sections/publice...eal-person-too

Anyway, this article has quite a long section devoted to vocal fry. Among the observations; people over the age of forty are annoyed by vocal fry, complain about it, and don’t find experts or commentators who employ vocal fry to be authoritative. People younger than forty aren’t bothered by it.
I'm not one for falling into stereotypical casting but in this instance I agree, there is little more annoying than a young lady with brains trying her damnedest to sound like she's coughing up gravel.

Edit: I haven't yet read the link but I do recall some positing that the habit was started by women trying to elbow their way into male dominated jobs, sounding like a man was supposed to bring a gravitas that a feminine voice couldn't???

Last edited by zzrmark; Sep 9th 2021 at 11:47 am.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

...And having read the article I would like to point out that while it bugs the crap out of me my manners get the better of me and I don't go round complaining to all and sundry, except on here, but hey...

More recently, however, my bugbear has been ****wits like Lindsey Graham who apparently are intelligent but live up to the stereotype of their accent...
Old Sep 10th 2021, 6:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side while they may talk / sound different, at least I can understand what they are saying.

I went to university in Manchester and there were people I met in the North of England who I could not fully understand what they were saying beyond them calling me “duck” and “pet”.