British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Tea or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/tea-not-800047/)

Cardienscarf Jun 13th 2013 9:31 pm

Tea or not

Now that I'm leaving, I decided it was time to do the Celestial Seasonings tour. During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

joto Jun 14th 2013 2:39 am

Re: Tea of not

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10755840)
Now that I'm leaving, I decided it was time to do the Celestial Seasonings tour. During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

That's good to know. I have been wary of using those, as real tea upsets my stomach and didn't know if there was any tea hidden in the ingredients.

WEBlue Jun 14th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10755840)
During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

Yes, this has always puzzled me. Before the "herbal tea" concept exploded in popularity, when we lived in Europe I remembered these hot herbal drinks being called tisanes or infusions to distinguish them from caffienated "teas". Now everything is randomly called "tea" if you pour not water on to activate it.

And I find these new combinations of what I call "tea" plus added herbs/spices/flavours/whatever very confusing. :thumbdown: If I want a soothing herbal concoction, I don't want to see black, orange, white, or green "tea leaves" anywhere in it. And if I'm looking for my usual black "breakfast tea", I don't want THAT jazzed up with silly extra ingredients either!

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 11:38 am

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

Everything else is not tea. :frown:

BunnyGirl Jun 14th 2013 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756544)
Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

:goodpost:

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 10756049)
That's good to know. I have been wary of using those, as real tea upsets my stomach and didn't know if there was any tea hidden in the ingredients.

I think you'd be completely safe with Celestial Seasonings. They are very proud of the purity of their 'teas'. Their real tea leaves are kept in a room all by themselves as they are extremely absorbent and would take up the fragrances from the other herbs if they were in the same storage area. So I think it's safe to say that they never get mixed.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:23 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

You forgot strong and unsweetened :nod:

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756778)
You forgot strong and unsweetened :nod:

I also forgot "accompanied by Rich Tea Biscuits". :)

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756817)
I also forgot "accompanied by Rich Tea Biscuits". :)

I would also have accepted Bourbon Creams or Fox's Classics.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756818)
I would also have accepted Bourbon Creams or Fox's Classics.

:nod: You are wise in the ways of biscuits.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756819)
:nod: You are wise in the ways of biscuits.

I like to think I am, yes.

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 3:17 pm

I am quite the bore in pointing out, that what I have been offered as tea, is in fact not. "Please purloin some for my future visits" I state as I stomp out of their home. Offering an infusion to a Brit is quite the insult.

It is kind of funny looking at some pantries of "tea" drinkers, boxes and boxes of the stuff, but no actual tea.

Yorkieabroad Jun 14th 2013 3:18 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

Agreed...you couldn't get me to drink it any other way...not for all the tea in China:lol:

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10756870)
I am quite the bore in pointing out, that what I have been offered as tea, is in fact not. "Please purloin some for my future visits" I state as I stomp out of their home. Offering an infusion to a Brit is quite the insult.

:lol:

I find it easier to ask for water, when offered a drink at someone's house. That eliminates the chance of being given an infusion or being forced to drink coffee.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:24 pm

It is kind of funny looking at some pantries of "tea" drinkers, boxes and boxes of the stuff, but no actual tea.

Granny Nutek would have been outraged! Nothing but carefully brewed indian tea went into her seemingly bottomless teapot with it's hand-knitted cosy.

(Granny Nutek rocked btw). :)

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 3:25 pm

Can I just clarify that by black, you mean the tea leaves and that milk (albeit a small amount) is, in fact, allowed?

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756892)
Can I just clarify that by black, you mean the tea leaves and that milk (albeit a small amount) is, in fact, allowed?

Absolutely. :)

Provided it is applied after the tea is poured, obviously.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756894)
Absolutely. :)

Provided it is applied after the tea is poured, obviously.

That goes without saying.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756897)
That goes without saying.

I've said it now. :(

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756902)
I've said it now. :(

Merely a reminder - not to worry :D

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 3:35 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

:amen:

And now we have Celestial Seasoning's permission to say so :lol:

(Although she did say that green tea and white tea start out as black tea)

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756907)
Merely a reminder - not to worry :D

Phew. I was afraid for a moment that I had flunked Tea 101

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10756913)
:amen:

And now we have Celestial Seasoning's permission to say so :lol:

(Although she did say that fizzzzzle tea and crrrrackle tea start out as black tea)

Something didn't compute there.... I see the word "tea" but some kind of interference seemed to occur imediately before it. :p

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 3:42 pm

I try and be polite but I end up telling people I'm really particular about my tea. I do tend to get excited when I'm invited over for 'some' tea (never is it called a cuppa or even a cup of tea), but then there's always that sinking feeling when I remember that we are talking about two different things.

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756924)
Something didn't compute there.... I see the word "tea" but some kind of interference seemed to occur imediately before it. :p

:rofl:

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756916)
Phew. I was afraid for a moment that I had flunked Tea 101

Aren't you Master of the Tea Ceremony?

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:50 pm

http://favim.com/orig/201105/31/anar....com-61730.jpg

Pulaski Jun 14th 2013 4:03 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

I tried to find an illustration, but Google showed me only images that would have got me banned! :o

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10756983)
I tried to find an illustration, but Google showed me only images that would have got me banned! :o

Did you try adding the word Granny?

[Edit] Ok.. Don't do that. it's not good!

Lion in Winter Jun 14th 2013 4:12 pm

You lot forgot to mention heating the pot first with the boiling water before putting the tea in at all.

My grandparents went a step further. They would also heat the cup and the teaspoon used to stir.

Pulaski Jun 14th 2013 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10756998)
You lot forgot to mention heating the pot first with the boiling water before putting the tea in at all.

My grandparents went a step further. They would also heat the cup and the teaspoon used to stir.

Did they also warm their mouths before drinking it? :confused:

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10756998)

I heat the cup but haven't gone so far as heating the spoon. Tea doesn't seem to stay hot here as long as in the UK so warming the cup helps. Something to do with altitude, I've been told.

Pulaski Jun 14th 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10757028)
I heat the cup but haven't gone so far as heating the spoon. Tea doesn't seem to stay hot here as long as in the UK so warming the cup helps. Something to do with altitude, I've been told.

I don't know about not staying as hot, but water is boiling at a significantly lower temperature at higher altitudes. At 5,000ft it is only boiling at 95°C, and the BP drops by approximately 1°C for every additional 1,000ft.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10757028)

You need to knit it a little hat. :nod:

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10757038)
I don't know about not staying as hot, but water is boiling at a significantly lower temperature at higher altitudes. At 5,000ft it is only boiling at 95°C, and the BP drops by approximately 1°C for every additional 1,000ft.

There is a significant lack of tea cozy ownership.

edit: Yes Nutek (above) a little hat is needed.

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10757047)
You need to knit it a little hat. :nod:

Wish I'd thought of that 22 years ago. Instead, I've just been drinking it quicker.

Speedwell Jun 14th 2013 5:16 pm

This slightly above-average-educated American, in possession of an herbal medicine degree (misspent youth), understands that you call something an herbal infusion only if you intend to doctor someone with it. As a drink, it is a tisane.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10757110)
This slightly above-average-educated American, in possession of an herbal medicine degree (misspent youth), understands that you call something an herbal infusion only if you intend to doctor someone with it. As a drink, it is a tisane.

Just so long as we are clear that it isn't tea. ;)

Yorkieabroad Jun 14th 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10757112)
Just so long as we are clear that it isn't tea. ;)

Need to clarify how tisane is being pronounced, or abbreviated first....:sneaky:

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10757122)
Need to clarify how tisane is being pronounced, or abbreviated first....:sneaky:

:nod: Best to be absolutely clear before we move on to the Fondant Fancies.