British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Tea or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/tea-not-800047/)

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 5:54 am

Re: Tea or not

Can some kind moderator please fix the title of this thread? I've been trying to ignore it but every time it pops up in my subscriptions, my brain threatens to divorce me ...

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757196)
Can some kind moderator please fix the title of this thread? I've been trying to ignore it but every time it pops up in my subscriptions, my brain threatens to divorce me ...

Have a Fondant Fancy while you wait.

http://solidrecipe.com/wp-content/up...s-photos-1.jpg

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 6:20 am

Re: Tea of not

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10757110)
This slightly above-average-educated American, in possession of an herbal medicine degree (misspent youth), understands that you call something an herbal infusion only if you intend to doctor someone with it. As a drink, it is a tisane.

I feel inclined to point out that "h" is not a vowel.

You have just out pedanted us on the tea issue, haven't you? Made me Google and everything.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 6:23 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10757231)

Thank you soooo much. :)

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 6:33 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10757231)

You have just out pedanted us on the tea issue, haven't you? Made me Google and everything.

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but in this case, the 'an' is appropriate.

Given that the poster is American, the mispronounced 'herbal' starts with a vowel sound (the 'h' is effectively dropped), so 'an' is used. When said the proper way, i.e. the British way, then one would use 'a' as the indefinite article, as there is a consonatal 'h' sound at the beginning.

Pronouncing 'herbal' with a dropped 'h' is, of course, incorrect :nod:

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 7:18 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757255)
I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but in this case, the 'an' is appropriate.

Given that the poster is American, the mispronounced 'herbal' starts with a vowel sound (the 'h' is effectively dropped), so 'an' is used. When said the proper way, i.e. the British way, then one would use 'a' as the indefinite article, as there is a consonatal 'h' sound at the beginning.

Pronouncing 'herbal' with a dropped 'h' is, of course, incorrect :nod:

I was trying ever so tactfully to suggest that Speedwell, just might be mis-pronouncing the word herb. I just get dirty looks when I say this at home but I am sure Speedwell will be much more receptive to my suggestions. :)

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 7:19 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757196)

I know. I'm sorry. I started the thread after a sample of Tension Tamer and I really got a case of WGAF.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10757304)
I was trying ever so tactfully to suggest that Speedwell, just might be mis-pronouncing the word herb. I just get dirty looks when I say this at home but I am sure Speedwell will be much more receptive to my suggestions. :)

I think I might have become desensitised to the whole "'erb" thing now I come to think of it - I can't remember the last time I noticed it before your last post!

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757312)
I think I might have become desensitised to the whole "'erb" thing now I come to think of it - I can't remember the last time I noticed it before your last post!

I am a bit of a 'h' dropper, and it sometimes drives my missus nuts, that herb is one of those few h-words were I always say it.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10757314)
I am a bit of a 'h' dropper, and it sometimes drives my missus nuts, that herb is one of those few h-words were I always say it.

My accent tends to preclude me from dropping an 'h', except perhaps 'an historic ...'. I rarely have cause to say 'an historic ...' though :lol:

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757312)

:eek:

In light of these recent revelations, I may have to revoke the offer of a Fondant Fancy.

"erb" is just wrong. I present exhibit "A" for your consideration.

jeffreyhy Jun 14th 2013 7:40 am

Does this help any? From Grammar Girl (tm):
"One complication is when words are pronounced differently in British and American English. For example, the word for a certain kind of plant is pronounced “erb” in American English and “herb” in British English. So the proper form in America is an erb, and the proper form in Britain is a herb. In the rare cases where this is a problem, use the form that will be expected in your country or by the majority of your readers."
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/a-versus-an.aspx

Regards, JEff

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10757336)
Does this help any? From Grammar Girl (tm):
"One complication is when words are pronounced differently in British and American English. For example, the word for a certain kind of plant is pronounced “erb” in American English and “herb” in British English. So the proper form in America is an erb, and the proper form in Britain is a herb. In the rare cases where this is a problem, use the form that will be expected in your country or by the majority of your readers."
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/a-versus-an.aspx

Regards, JEff

I think that completely misses the ethnocentrism that is at the heart of this issue.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 7:46 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10757342)
I think that completely misses the ethnocentrism that is at the heart of this issue.

Here Here. What What!

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10757332)
:eek:

In light of these recent revelations, I may have to revoke the offer of a Fondant Fancy.

"erb" is just wrong. I present exhibit "A" for your consideration.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IArets7VbmM

I wasn't defending the mispronounciation itself, just the error carried forward of which indefinite article to use :D

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10757347)
I wasn't defending the mispronounciation itself, just the error carried forward of which indefinite article to use :D

http://pcdn.500px.net/10361491/23ef0...7874769a/3.jpg

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10757350)

Don't mind if I do ...

Speedwell Jun 14th 2013 9:33 am

I'm trying! :eek:

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10757484)
I'm trying! :eek:

Have one of Nutek's Fondant Fancies. It'll help :D

Jerseygirl Jun 14th 2013 9:56 am

:tounge_smile:

Yorkieabroad Jun 14th 2013 3:39 pm

Nice!
I put a plate of those in front of some American kids after my last trip home and the ungrateful little buggers took one bite and declared them inedible. I went through the courteous way to handle this sort of situation, strayed slightly into the Englishman/castle routine, and ended up telling the little brats to sod off home. To which the youngest replied "but Daaaad, we already are home......" Oops...so much for teaching them a bit of their heritage:o