Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I was talking about the internal structure of the statement. The statement that "criminals ignore the law" means absolutely nothing -- the repetition is in the meaning -- "people who break the law ignore the law." The slogan of "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" is also a tautology.

In your example, the repetition adds nothing in a logical sense. However, it gets the point across.
Well there's another free gift from the counselor.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:20 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I was talking about the internal structure of the statement. The statement that "criminals ignore the law" means absolutely nothing -- the repetition is in the meaning -- "people who break the law ignore the law." The slogan of "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" is also a tautology.

In your example, the repetition adds nothing in a logical sense. However, it gets the point across.
One of these days I'll be delighted to debate Frege with you (consider "Hesperus is Hesperus" vs "Hesperus is Bosphorus"). But not today.

You defined "tautology" using "needless repetition" as a necessary condition. I did you the courtesy of working to your definition and went on to demonstrate that, in the case in point, the repetition was not needless. Therefore, you are wrong and the statement both has meaning and is not a tautology. QED.

To take a leaf from your book, however, thank you for agreeing that there is an important point which needs to be got across to gun control fanatics.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It is, however, still a simple fact that a law abiding citizen concerned for his or her own safety is more likely to live longer without a gun than with a gun ...

Own as many as you want, carry them around like John Wayne for all I care ... just don't try to sell me on the notion that it actually makes you safer.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It is, however, still a simple fact that a law abiding citizen concerned for his or her own safety is more likely to live longer without a gun than with a gun ...
And upon what notion are you basing this "fact"?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crg14624
Do you pay for Fark? Is it worth it?
Nope. If you want stupid stupid questions and advice threads, you can go to yahoo!answers for free.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
It was past 1am his time, he must be drunk...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
You defined "tautology" using "needless repetition" as a necessary condition. I did you the courtesy of working to your definition and went on to demonstrate that, in the case in point, the repetition was not needless. Therefore, you are wrong and the statement both has meaning and is not a tautology. QED.
I thought you got off lightly. If your intention were perceived as deceptive, then a fallacious tautology could have been called.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:40 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If your intention were perceived as deceptive, then a fallacious tautology could have been called.
I believe that fellatio is still classed as sodomy in some states. I don't know what effect the deceptive qualifier would have...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe that fellatio is still classed as sodomy in some states.
That sucks.

Having gotten that out of the way: nope. All sodomy laws have been repealed and/or invalidated.

* "repealed" - means abolished from the law books (statutes)
* "law invalidated" (examples are from Court cases, such as Lawrence vs Texas) - means still in the law books, but can not be enforced

Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:17 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that fellatio is still classed as sodomy in some states. I don't know what effect the deceptive qualifier would have...
ass backwards i believe.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

You defined "tautology" using "needless repetition" as a necessary condition.
Hi:

I didn't define anything. I posted the definitions from Dictionary.Com.

I learned the term in a lower division philosophy class on logic. The term covers one in which the repetition adds nothing to a logical argument.

Another thing I remember from that class was when the Prof, with a smile, noted that there three broad types of logic: deductive, inductive, and seductive.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Apr 20th 2009 at 9:43 am.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kar98
Hi:

Be nice. The word "fact" is subject to multiple meanings. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fact?r=75

Depending upon the definition used, a "fact" may or may not be true; it may be a matter of reality or just of belief.

I guess that in this context "true fact" would be a matter of clarification and not a "tautology."
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Another thing I remember from that class was when the Prof, with a smile, noted that there three broad types of logic: deductive, inductive, and seductive.
And broads'.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I didn't define anything. I posted the definitions from Dictionary.Com.

I learned the term in a lower division philosophy class on logic. The term covers one in which the repetition adds nothing to a logical argument.

Hi:

Be nice. The word "fact" is subject to multiple meanings. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fact?r=75

Depending upon the definition used, a "fact" may or may not be true; it may be a matter of reality or just of belief.

I guess that in this context "true fact" would be a matter of clarification and not a "tautology."
Do you ever get out of lawyer mode?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Do you ever get out of lawyer mode?
Hi:

All the time. However, I will admit that I do import undergraduate logic and religious talmudic types of thought into my legal thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.